Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 10 Apr 2003, 07:45 (Ref:564824)   #26
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zetecs cost bugger all to run unless you crash. The tyres last quite a long while and you CAN get good pace out of £5 works team giveaways. The engines can run forever - like five years plus no problem. Brake are usual FF items. With the injection it will also use less fuel than most bigger engined cars. The only thing I can think of is that the oil can be pretty expensive if you run what the engine men tell you to.
Spares can be pricey but that's up to the driver, isn't it?
Old 10 Apr 2003, 08:17 (Ref:564856)   #27
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is possible to run on £4k-£3k per year and win races as Gary knows my son did. However, although he led the championship for a while he didn't win it. Like anyone who doesn't win the championship we have a million and one reasons why, but it is difficult to evaluate whether things would have been different if we had thrown more money at it.
I admit we cut a lot of corners to achieve those figures, second hand tyres etc, but the results demonstrate that the enormous budgets quoted by some people aren't necessary to at least get some wins let alone just enjoy yourself.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 08:23 (Ref:564865)   #28
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is good to hear that it is still possible to go motor racing on the cheap! Bob, where abouts are you based - I should imagine that makes a difference to your budget outlay in terms of the distance travelled.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 10:18 (Ref:564912)   #29
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Andy, Your right, I hadn't thought of that. We are in a good position in the South of Oxfordshire.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 11:38 (Ref:564946)   #30
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One tip for all aspiring racing drivers. Don't live in Cumbria or Plymouth! Its costs much more!
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:13 (Ref:564994)   #31
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
best place for 'dipping in' is in my opinion - Kent two circuits local low cost and mixed bag racing and not too far from Combe, thruxton or silverstone by m-way.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 14:13 (Ref:565133)   #32
AndyF
Veteran

Yeah Kent's not bad, but if you were competing in one round at every circuit in the UK, I should imagine the most cost-effective area to live would be the South Midlands.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 15:23 (Ref:565192)   #33
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the best thing about locost racing... Nice close side by side racing.. ok so maybe not at the front but in the mid field.
Attached Thumbnails
grid.jpg  
Old 10 Apr 2003, 15:23 (Ref:565194)   #34
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is racing side by side and three abreast by the end of the straight
Attached Thumbnails
race 08.jpg  
Old 10 Apr 2003, 19:22 (Ref:565425)   #35
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I renamed the thread (sort of) to reflect its content.

as to location I'd agree with you there andy. But Dipping in as I do is best round here. Also why stick to one discipline. I'm planning on doing at least 10 different one this year ranging from karting to trials
Old 11 Apr 2003, 07:23 (Ref:565916)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And of course nobody has considered the MG Car Club's championships. There are a variety of classes for all sorts of MG from the T Type to ZS. The Metro presents a good value for money entry level whilst the Full Race V8s cost the earth but go like stink.

Nevertheless I'm told that for an outlay of apporx 11k you can buy a class C (controlled V8) and run it for around 4k for the season. Sounds good value to me.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 20:30 (Ref:566665)   #37
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
15k for a seasons sport - more expensive than UTC, FPA or formula zip??

Chap cars (but interesting) - cheap racing. I'm thinking 750 formula or S1K?
Old 12 Apr 2003, 06:58 (Ref:567015)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think perhaps I didn't quite make my point clear. I was saying that there are many classes and each one has a price. Personally I like something with a bit of power so if I could I'd chose a V8 MGB and go do it. If I was just thinking of my pocket I'd do 2CVs or Metros.

Actually a season in the CTCRC Group 1 for a Class B car is about 12k including rebuilds, entry fees, travel and accommodation etc.

I like it but can't always afford a season.
Old 12 Apr 2003, 08:26 (Ref:567040)   #39
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in Australia we have low cost racing, and history has shown we aren't too bad at it infact.

I bet you are all hanging on it so I wont keep you waiting,

All you need is a pair of Speedos and a some swimming goggles!

Sounds simple enough dosen't it, this is what I tell anyone who wants to race on the cheap, BUT then you need a coach, gym membership, give up half of your day for training so you cant earn any dough to buy your plane ticket to the next swimming meet because on your salary you cant afford a car (and it can be a long way between pools Down-Under).

Need I go on? if you want to do something in this sport and not spend a lot of money, become an official!!
Old 12 Apr 2003, 09:21 (Ref:567071)   #40
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I'm not gonna do any series this year cos of the costs of it, but dipping in locally and running under my own club is cheap - but I need a cheap versatile car.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 17:55 (Ref:568300)   #41
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Back on topic.

My uni runs a locost and seem to spend a fair amount of time with it testing and being roling roaded. They still dont spend as much as other formulae though.

My housemate is currently putting Ford V6 (**** one with siamese ports - Essex?) into a 100mm wider Locost. Will change to a newer engine later I think.

For a pretty busy forum with loads of info on Locosts try -Locost Builders Forum

Last edited by imull; 13 Apr 2003 at 17:55.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 18:01 (Ref:568310)   #42
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Saw the 750 formula cars out today - very nice machines and good racing (not arf mr.simpson!) but reliability of the reliant and fiat engines could be questioned. If I was to build one of them I'd have to put a tuned 1 litre VW lump into it
Old 13 Apr 2003, 20:58 (Ref:568480)   #43
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the look of some of those 750 formulas, they sound great too. At the last 750mc meeting (donington) there was a very nice looking sportscar in the paddock but it didnt race. It was blue with triangular headlights, looked like a small Lemans prototype - anyone know what it was ? Sports 1000 maybe??
Old 13 Apr 2003, 21:16 (Ref:568494)   #44
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If it is the one in BMW livery it is the sports 1000 car that they had at the autosport show 2 years ago.

I was told it was made out of 10 adn 15mm tube only. very nice car with plently of triangulation in it. wouldnt mind a go in it anyway.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 00:39 (Ref:568635)   #45
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think it was an ADR, it had all the race stickers and a number too. I checked the number and couldn't find it in the program. might have been a 750 formula car but it was very nice looking.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 05:38 (Ref:568754)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by imull
My housemate is currently putting Ford V6 (**** one with siamese ports - Essex?) into a 100mm wider Locost. Will change to a newer engine later I think.[/URL]
Its a 2.8 Cologne.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 06:38 (Ref:568774)   #47
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody has mentioned testing costs in this thread yet. I race in Irish Formula Vee which is supposedly the cheapest racing over here. The entries are €150 (about £100) for Mondello and £95 for Kirkistown. Towing costs what it costs, spare engines, gearboxes, 'special engines' has started to make an appearance, but the testing is a lot.
I would test about 15 times a year,(before every race and a few specials). Before the race costs about £100 and the specials are about £90, although the amount of time on track varies.

Working this out it costs me £2430 (about €3500) in entries and testing. I am amazed that BARC Renault can be done that cheaply. Is that the one that Oliver Playle was in last year?, if so then that is super value.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 09:28 (Ref:568869)   #48
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Irv,
That is the one Ollie was in last year, believe me his dad spent considerably more than we did, although, on occasions my son did beat him.
There is a lot of myths surrounding this formula and it's costs, like you must use new tyres, must have the engines rebuilt each year, must pay someone to rebuild the gearbox etc, etc. They just aren't true, the cast off tyres from the TOCA series last a long time and the engines etc are much the same as anything else, last a long time and are easy to work on. The lap record at Oulton was broken last year on second hand tyres.
One of your guys, Ian Barrett, came over for every round last year and is in it again this year.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 10:24 (Ref:568903)   #49
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club Zetec is no more expensive to run than any other FF - the spares are the same - what you spend in tyres you save on engines etc. I suppose the only hidden cost is that you do need to test - but that is the same if you want ot be competitive in anything. Aside from labour (typically £150 a day) costs to prepare and transport the car - I usually spend about £300 per meeting plus entries. The cars are modern and quick - usally 4/5 seconds more htan a kent - and as fashion dictates some much in the national series good 2001/2000 cars are availible for the price of a kent 1992 chassis. You also get modern dampers and logging. Personally, (I run in the SFFC) it is the best value for a modern championship.