Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1633292)   #1
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Some news from scrutineering today: Lister is working on a new GT1 with an engine that has not been seen in Europe. Does this mean Lister is giving up LMP1? It seems so...

source: Une toute nouvelle Lister apparaîtra en GT1 (endurance-info.com)
Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1633295)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure this news will deserve a dedicated thread in due course, but as the Lister LMP1 was being checked by the scrutineers in Le Mans this morning, Laurence Pearce announced that a brand new car is in the pipeline which will be built to GT1 regulations. The new GT1 will replace the current LMP1 project which will now not continue beyond 2006. No further details about the project were disclosed.

Ah, I see I'm five minutes late with the news, Gwyllion.........

Last edited by Bentley03; 13 Jun 2006 at 10:09. Reason: Too slow (again!)
Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1633299)   #3
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Some news from scrutineering today: Lister is working on a new GT1 with an engine that has not been seen in Europe. Does this mean Lister is giving up LMP1? It seems so...

It would make sense to return to the category that brought them success. Although I don't know if they will be able to meet the minimum production requirements for homologation. If they do with some special a la MC12, they will act against the spirit of the rules and I am not sure if they will be welcomed by the ACO again. Maybe they need to step back a little bit and turn an existing production road car into a racer. Their heritage could make the new Jaguar XK a viable option, especially considering it has a state of the art chassis.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1633303)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
It wouldTheir heritage could make the new Jaguar XK a viable option, especially considering it has a state of the art chassis.
That was my first thought, but the statement about the engine doesn't fit in with the theory.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1633323)   #5
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
That was my first thought, but the statement about the engine doesn't fit in with the theory.
Maybe they'll make a special version of the XK with that engine. The stock V8 is not a likely candidate for GT1 racing. The XKR will be launched at the British Motorshow soon, but that should have the supercharged V8. If anything the XK is set for GT2.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1633402)   #6
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Will they receive any support if they were to transform the Jaguar XK into a race version? The Ford Premier Automotive Group is already supporting the Aston Martin-Prodrive effort.

I doubt Lister can build truely competitive GT1 car. They just can not match Prodrive, Maserati, Corvette and Oreca.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1633432)   #7
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
I doubt Lister can build truely competitive GT1 car. They just can not match Prodrive, Maserati, Corvette and Oreca.
Even if they can, I think it will be impossible for them to build let alone sell 50 cars in two years.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1633497)   #8
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They built the Storm wich was a championship winner, why wouldn't they be able to do such a thing again?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1633515)   #9
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
They built the Storm wich was a championship winner, why wouldn't they be able to do such a thing again?
Bigger budgets, more competitive cars, ... And their LMP project did not make a good impression at all. Without support from a big manufacturer they will have a hard time; and this is unlikely if they make their own car (with homologation problems as mentioned earlier).
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1633567)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Could they get around the homologation problem by rebadging an existing car which would then be available through the manufacturers dealer network; for example a Nissan 350Z could become a Nissan 350 Lister?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1633572)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GT1 - possible more expensive than LMP1
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1633584)   #12
Shotteh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Harrow, London
Shotteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really do hope that Lister can somehow manage to bring out a competetive GT1 car, it would put them right back where they belong.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1633587)   #13
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Could they get around the homologation problem by rebadging an existing car which would then be available through the manufacturers dealer network; for example a Nissan 350Z could become a Nissan 350 Lister?
I doubt it. They would be involved like a Pratt & Miller, Prodrive, Reiter, Michelotto, Oreca etc.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1633589)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Will they receive any support if they were to transform the Jaguar XK into a race version? The Ford Premier Automotive Group is already supporting the Aston Martin-Prodrive effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
Even if they can, I think it will be impossible for them to build let alone sell 50 cars in two years.
Quote:
Bigger budgets, more competitive cars, ... And their LMP project did not make a good impression at all. Without support from a big manufacturer they will have a hard time; and this is unlikely if they make their own car (with homologation problems as mentioned earlier).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
GT1 - possible more expensive than LMP1
I think these are all (sad but true) correct observations.

Maybe Lister could develop a Jag XK GT2 car? On that way they are not racing against Aston Martin and it's cheaper as GT1.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1633599)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rebodied raced up Jags? that would work.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1633603)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You mean like Alpina does with BMWs?
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1633604)   #17
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
They could get back into the Jaguar tuning business as well to make some money. However, Jaguar is in big trouble, which does not make it the best of 'partners' to base future programs on.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1633609)   #18
Shotteh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Harrow, London
Shotteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something a bit like the Zakspeed V8 star Jag? But obviously to GT2 spec.

Old 13 Jun 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1633614)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
FIRE - yes exactly that

the V8 Star is a silhoette... so not quite

Yes the jag tuning thing could work, but it would be a deal like the prodrive Ferrari I reckon where the works does not assist the programme in anyway.

Realistically I doubt that Lister realise how serious GT1 has gotten.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1633627)   #20
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Yes the jag tuning thing could work, but it would be a deal like the prodrive Ferrari I reckon where the works does not assist the programme in anyway.
Will there be a 'Frederic Dor' to bankroll that operation then? There needs to be plenty of cash from the get go to develop a race winning car. Maybe then money can be made from selling bits for road cars and complete racing cars.

I am afraid the days of the privateers are over again. For how long is the question.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1633639)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
A Lister Jag program would be interesting. I have to agree that it will be difficult for Lister going forward, though they have fought against some fairly decent teams in the past, including winning the FIA GT championship in 2000.

I think they would have problems competing against the Prodrives, Pratt & Millers of the world, but should be able to compete against the rest of the privateers... assuming they spend the money and have a good design.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1633688)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Not seen in Europe.............well the XK V8 was raced in Trans-Am recently.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1633840)   #23
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a variation on that possible "Nissan 350 Lister" idea - their own variation of a Jaguar car could well be an idea worth following - like a "Lister XK" or something like that?

I'd dearly love to see Lister back competitively in GT1. I miss the Storm an awful lot

Fogelhund - would you say the level of competition between the better teams now and the better teams of 2000 is of a higher level or lower level? Lister did very well to beat Vipers, when both cars were in their heyday, but I'm wondering if the likes of BMS Scuderia Italia, Vitaphone, Zakspeed and GLPK are of a far higher standard nowadays...?
Old 14 Jun 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1634224)   #24
Viper GTS-R***
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Viper GTS-R*** should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Lister GT1!!

GREAT NEWS!!
"Une toute nouvelle Lister apparaîtra en GT1"

Quote:
Une nouvelle Lister GT1 est appelée à apparaître. Alors que la Storm LMP passait sous l'œil des commissaires techniques ce mardi matin aux Jacobins, Laurence Pearce lui était au micro de Bruno Vandestick. Le big boss de Lister en a profité pour annoncer qu'il était déjà depuis un certain temps au travail sur une toute nouvelle GT1. Ce sera donc le retour de la firme anglaise dans une catégorie qui l'avait vue briller en FIA GT, il y a de cela quelques années. Il faut bien remplacer effectivement la LMP qui ne sera plus autorisée à courir l'année prochaine.

Nous avons tenté d'en savoir un peu plus sur cette voiture. Mais Laurence ne souhaite pas dévoiler beaucoup plus d'information. La seule qu'il a consenti à laisser filtrer est que le moteur sera un bloc jamais vu en course en Europe. Il faudra désormais patienter jusqu'à Juillet prochain pour en savoir un peu plus même si la voiture ne sera dévoilée qu'un peu plus tard dans l'année.
http://www.endurance-info.com/articl...d=2194&thold=0
They Say that it will be an engine that has never been seen raced in Europe races...
Anybody an idee wich engine they will use?
Old 14 Jun 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1634241)   #25
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Well discussed HERE
Maybe the moderator can extract the comments from that thread and put them here. Because the discussion is currently abusing the hybrid LMP1 thread.