Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 24 Nov 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2990819)   #1
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2012 Intercontinental Rally Challenge

The 2012 IRC calendar has been announced...
  • Four all-new events in Bulgaria, Ireland, Romania and San Marino
  • Five rounds in Eastern Europe
  • Classics such as Rallye Sanremo and Tour de Corse remain
  • Extra rounds on gravel

RoundDateEventSurface
123-25 FebruarySata Rallye Açores (Portugal)Gravel
215-17 MarchRally Islas Canarias El Corte Inglés (Spain)Asphalt
306-07 AprilDonnelly Group Circuit of Ireland RallyAsphalt
411-12 MayTour de Corse (France)Asphalt
502-03 JuneCanon Mecsek Rallye (Hungary)Asphalt
621-23 JuneGEKO Ypres Rally (Belgium)Asphalt
706-07 JulyRally San MarinoGravel
820-22 JulySibiu Rally RomaniaGravel
931 Aug - 2 SepBarum Czech Rally ZlÃ*nAsphalt
1015-16 SeptemberPrime Yalta Rally (Ukraine)Asphalt
1129-30 SeptemberRally Sliven (Bulgaria)Asphalt
1212-13 OctoberRallye Sanremo (Italy)Asphalt
1302-03 NovemberCyprus RallyGravel & asphalt
Old 24 Nov 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2990820)   #2
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Delighted to see Ireland hosting an event of this size following its two successful rounds of the World Rally Championship. As far as I know the following information is provisional, but it will give you a rough idea of what to expect...

The rally will start from Belfast on Good Friday 6th April with a Super Special Stage at the Titanic Quarter. This will coincide with the start of the centenary celebrations of the Titanic's launch. The rally then heads down the M1 for two repeated stages in the Dungannon area, the second runs of which will be in the dark.

Day two should start from Armagh and include the Lisburn Power Stage as used this year, plus five repeated stages in counties Down and Armagh. For the first time since special stages were introduced, there won't be any in Southern Ireland. The rally finishes on Saturday evening.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2990857)   #3
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a good calendar but how is it 'intercontinental'? Its become a sort of alternative European championship.

Five rounds in Eastern Europe hints at desperation. Better to have something like the Targa Florio in there and a couple of Scandinavian events that would get an audience.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2990868)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Its a good calendar but how is it 'intercontinental'? Its become a sort of alternative European championship.
Fair point, is it a case of keeping it fairly central to keep travelling costs down? Anyway, good to see a round in Ireland (although if it's only running north of the border surely it should be listed as Northern Ireland?)
Old 24 Nov 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2990873)   #5
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
...good to see a round in Ireland (although if it's only running north of the border surely it should be listed as Northern Ireland?)
Well the 'Circuit of Ireland' is the second oldest rally in the world, so despite this year's route only passing through northern counties, there would be justifiable uproar if anyone tried to change the name.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2990880)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Well the 'Circuit of Ireland' is the second oldest rally in the world, so despite this year's route only passing through northern counties, there would be justifiable uproar if anyone tried to change the name.
I see your point - it's like "rally GB" just being in Wales I suppose. Either way - it's good to have a round there. Is it also a round of the Irish Tarmac Championship? That would be ideal
Old 24 Nov 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2990895)   #7
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Is it also a round of the Irish Tarmac Championship? That would be ideal
Indeed it is (Galway, Circuit of Ireland, Killarney Rally of The Lakes, Donegal, Ulster, and Cork 20). But I digress...

To be honest I hadn't even noticed the fact that the "Intercontinental" series only visits one continent - it's a shame, but if it's a means of reducing costs in order to further secure the future of the series' then I fully support it. Obviously it would be great to see the series expand globally though. Safari Rally, anyone?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2991026)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I agree with you: the calendar is fine (for a second-level championship), the name is wrong.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2991157)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Circuit of Ireland (and Irish Tarmac Championships in general) seem to have been doing well the last couple of years, so this is great news (I think).

Should be a hell of an event this year, perhaps this should be my motivation to finally get over to Ireland and check out a tarmac event for myself!
Old 25 Nov 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2991199)   #10
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see Ireland in

IRC hasnt lived up to the hype of afew seasons ago in the last couple of years
Old 27 Nov 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2991966)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
IRC >>> WRC
Old 6 Dec 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2995808)   #12
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Well the 'Circuit of Ireland' is the second oldest rally in the world
That's not correct, the Rally of Poland has been run since 1921, with 68th edition in 2011.

In other news, this will be the last season of IRC, from 2013 it's expected to merge with ERC. Hopefully, the consolidation will bring back some of the old glory of the European Championship, and it will be even better with GT cars (FIA R-GT) on the stages
Old 11 Apr 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3057155)   #13
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Solberg PS Engineering and Kristian Sohlberg have agreed that Sohlberg was driving the Ford Fiesta S2000 with San Marino and Romania rallies.
Old 3 May 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3068642)   #14
Ouninpohja
Rookie

Ouninpohja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On-Board Arzeno in Circuit of Ireland

On-Board video of Mathieu Arzeno (Peugeot 207 S2000) in Circuit of Ireland !

Full stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAhWZt0_HME
Old 20 Jul 2012, 05:49 (Ref:3108881)   #15
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thought I'd bump this with Sibiu this weekend - a long shot but anyone (Dani Filth?) gone / going?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3143267)   #16
kober
Racer

The merger of IRC with ERC is on.

Statement from Eurosport Events:
Quote:
The FIA World Motor Sport Council has confirmed at its meeting in Paris today an agreement between the FIA and Eurosport Events for Eurosport Events to become the promoter of the FIA European Rally Championship from the 2013 season onwards. The agreement will mean the Intercontinental Rally Challenge, which Eurosport Events created and has promoted since its inception in 2007, will not run next year in its current format across Europe.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3143327)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Good move.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3143394)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cant see the news, werent Eurosport pretty much doing this anyway!
Old 28 Sep 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3143440)   #19
kober
Racer

No, Eurosport Events had not been the promoter of ERC.
The newly-signed deal between FIA and EE is for the next ten years, which should give a lot of stability to the European Championship. Hopefully the merged calendar will contain the best rallies of both series.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3143466)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK then, well Eurosport has alrgely been responsible for promoting it in my eyes, they fund it in part, it is live on thier channel!

So in reality this is about as surprising as them covering Le Mans!!
Old 29 Sep 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3143666)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
You are confused with IRC.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3143708)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Not really, Eurosport have always run IRC and covered it, they have been heavily involved from the start, always have been, they are just renaming it!
Old 29 Sep 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3143724)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The new championships will surely have the current IRC races. The question is: what will happen with the current ERC races? I guess they could form stronger regional championships than now.