Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 14 May 2006, 04:35 (Ref:1609214)   #1
alexcaffi
Rookie

alexcaffi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1878 Green Bay to Madison race

ok! I admit that it may not count as a proper motor race....but this is surely the earliest recorded example of an event organised for self-propelled vehicles. Also, the vehicles that took part were basically road-going locomotives

16-23rdth July 1878
Green Bay to Madison, Wisconsin (USA)
201.0 miles

1st F. Shomer/ A.M. Farrand (Oshkosh) 33h27m00s
Ret E.P. Cowles (Green Bay) retired

Winners av.= 6.01 mph

Only 2 starters, 4 non-starters

The competitors also took part in a 1 mile sprint:

the Oshkosh completed the 1 mile run in 4m41s while the Green Bay broke down (again)

Last edited by alexcaffi; 14 May 2006 at 04:38.
Old 15 May 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1610386)   #2
alexcaffi
Rookie

some more info i've managed to dig up:

Six machines originally registered for the race, but only two actually competed: the Oshkosh and the Green Bay (the machines were referred to by their town of origin). A third machine, the Madison, supposedly made for Green Bay but got stuck in mud along the way. A fourth, the Milwaukee, simply failed to work, and a fifth, the Fond du Lac, was never completed. The origin of the supposed sixth entry is unknown.

From the start, Cowles' Green Bay suffered one mechanical failure after another. An injector failure kept the Cowles machine from even making it out of Green Bay on the first day, and it ended up traveling by rail to Oshkosh. And while mechanical failures plagued the Green Bay, the Oshkosh generally performed flawlessly. In fact, any problems experienced by the Oshkosh appear to have been self-inflicted.

At 11 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, 1878, the Oshkosh arrived in Madison. The official rules required a working speed of no less than 5 mph, giving the Oshkosh 40 hours to complete the 200-mile route. The Oshkosh traveled 201 miles, and its official time of 33 hours, 27 minutes gave it an average running speed of 6 mph. The Oshkosh finished alone and ahead of schedule.

any comments on where people think this sits in the grand scheme of motorsport history?
Old 15 May 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1610531)   #3
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern, 16th May 1878, pg 4:

"The legislature of 1877 passed a law offering a bounty of $10,000 for the invention of an improved steam road wagon that should be able to run two hundred miles on country roads at the rate of at least four miles per hour, hauling a heavy load. The Governor has appointed the following committee to test the competing machines and make the award: George M.Marshall, of Adams county; G.C.Olin, of Jefferson county, and John M.Smith of Green Bay. The committee will meet at Madison on June 10th, and may adjourn from place to place in order to inspect the working of machines. Some half dozen wagons have already entered for competition. Messrs Farrand & Shomer of this city will enter their steam road wagon for the contest."
Old 15 May 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1610550)   #4
Darren Galpin
Racer

According to the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern of the 12th June 1878, there were five entries:
E.P.Cowley of Green Bay
F.E.Hibbard of Fond du Lac
J.E.Baker of Madison
Mr Cross of Sun Parairie
Schomer, Gallagher & Farrand of Oshkosh
Old 15 May 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1610730)   #5
alexcaffi
Rookie

thanks for the extra info Darren...i was lacking 1 or 2 entrant names.

However, my sources point to 6 entries, and now with the extra info you've provided added to my own...I now have 6.

My sources are: Green Bay Daily Star Gazette Monday July 15th - Wednesday 24th. The race is reported on daily, with details on running time between towns, specs on the "vehicles", and any tests that took place.

An article in Steam Traction also mentions 6 entrants, and explains in detail how the competition arose through legislation in 1875, which was then ammended in 1876 and 1877. This publication also has a few interesting pics of the competitors.

The Madison Capital Times of May 26 1921 features an article on the race and also mentions that originally there were 6 entries

Results:

1st- Frank Shomer/A.M. Farrand - Oshkosh wagon - 33h27m00s
Ret- E.P. Cowles - Green Bay wagon - mechanical
DNA- J. E. Baker - Madison - Lost en route to race/stuck in mud
DNA -??? - Wisconsin - engine
DNA -F. E. Hibbard - Fond du Lac - ?
DNA -Cross - Sun Prairie - ?

all vehicles were named after the town in which they were built. I have conflicting reports as to whether Baker's Madison got lost while being transported to the venue or got stuck in mud en route and didn't make it in time for the start.

Have you any info to clear this up Darren?

Last edited by alexcaffi; 15 May 2006 at 16:22.
Old 15 May 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1610925)   #6
Corktree
Rookie

United States
Corktree should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wrote something on this which is far too long to be reproduced here, but I will be happy to reply to the few who might be interested in it.
Old 15 May 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1610998)   #7
alexcaffi
Rookie

i'd be very interested!
Old 16 May 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1611219)   #8
Darren Galpin
Racer

And me sir!
Old 16 May 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1611269)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think we all would. If you are unable to post the whole piece, Corktree, any chance of a few key facts, perhaps in bullet form?
Old 16 May 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1611270)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Me three...

I looked in Al Bochroch's book on the history of American racing, but this was not mentioned.
Old 16 May 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1611325)   #11
Darren Galpin
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcaffi
thanks for the extra info Darren...i was lacking 1 or 2 entrant names.

all vehicles were named after the town in which they were built. I have conflicting reports as to whether Baker's Madison got lost while being transported to the venue or got stuck in mud en route and didn't make it in time for the start.

Have you any info to clear this up Darren?

The Oshkosh Daily Northwestern of the 17th July says that the machine was meant to be shipped to the start by rail, but that it hadn't turned up on time. It was given special dispensation to start when it finally made it.
Old 16 May 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1611583)   #12
Corktree
Rookie

United States
Corktree should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have sent the article to Darren and he can be contacted by those interested.
Old 16 May 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1611610)   #13
alexcaffi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Galpin
The Oshkosh Daily Northwestern of the 17th July says that the machine was meant to be shipped to the start by rail, but that it hadn't turned up on time. It was given special dispensation to start when it finally made it.
thanks for that! I suppose it's safe to assume that it never did turn up, because there seems to be no mention of a 3rd vehicle in the race reports.
Old 16 May 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1611612)   #14
alexcaffi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corktree
I have sent the article to Darren and he can be contacted by those interested.
Any chance you could send me that article please Darren?
Old 5 Jan 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2100296)   #15
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know if any pictures or diagrams exist of any of the vehicles entered?
Old 24 Dec 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2604681)   #16
alexcaffi
Rookie

Firstly, sorry for taking nearly 2 years to reply....and also apologies to everyone else for bumping a thread 2 years old!

I believe this may be of interest to TIMELORD:

http://steamtraction.farmcollector.c...E-OF-1878.aspx

there's a picture gallery with diagrams, etc.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2604855)   #17
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks! Certainly worth waiting for!