Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 May 2020, 15:31 (Ref:3976443)   #526
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New schedule released with a restart in racing at Daytona on July 4th!

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...sebring-races/

Bet there will be some patriotic liveries!
Old 15 May 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3976450)   #527
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope they call the July 4 race the Paul Revere 250

This schedule makes sense, you run the first races at tracks you control, eliminate international travel, and maintain the full amount of races for each class. It'll be weird having a non 12 hour official IMSA race at Sebring though. Think I would have preferred Road Atlanta to be the choice there.
Old 15 May 2020, 16:21 (Ref:3976465)   #528
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I’m excited to see how the sprint format works on both Sebring and Daytona, nice to have a slightly mixed up calendar
Old 15 May 2020, 17:11 (Ref:3976481)   #529
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I’m excited to see how the sprint format works on both Sebring and Daytona, nice to have a slightly mixed up calendar
I'm interested to see how the end of the year schedule works with all of the long distance races there. 6 hours at the beginning of Oct, 10 Hours mid-Oct, and 12 mid-Nov. That is a lot of racing in a short timeframe. And then there is the Daytona 24 in January. Not a lot of downtime here.
Old 16 May 2020, 00:09 (Ref:3976525)   #530
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will try to get some pictures from Daytona if I can. I will be allowed into the track for the Daytona race as I will be racing the next day and will be setting up on Saturday in the Blue Garage's (open air). IMSA will be in the normal Rolex Garage's (Yellow). The race on Sunday as of right now has 120 cars for 14 hours.
Old 16 May 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3976616)   #531
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
The new date for Watkins clashes with the new Indy 8 hour date. Lots of drivers are on tap to do both, not sure what can be done about this.
Old 16 May 2020, 19:12 (Ref:3976633)   #532
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The new date for Watkins clashes with the new Indy 8 hour date. Lots of drivers are on tap to do both, not sure what can be done about this.
Yeah, there have been a few conflicts in the proposed schedules. Think they both have had a few changes and probably aren't talking about scheduling even a little.
Old 17 May 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3976735)   #533
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Good schedule so far given the situation. I would not count on Laguna Seca happening still. With the way the lunatic California governor operates right now. It is the one and only west coast trip. A part of me is surprised it is on the sked so far for that reason. Big savings in costs of travel. If a race falls through I'd say its most likely that one.

I thought somewhere you could get a double header idea to work out. A 2 hour 40 minute one day. Then split 90 or 100 minute race the next day with a GT and a prototype race each. Maybe could still happen.

Also hope that common sense rather than fear will win out and fans can attend the July Daytona (The Paul Revere 240?) and Sebring sprint races.
Old 17 May 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3976758)   #534
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd agree with you on the Laguna race, Newsome is a bit angry lately and ruling like a dictator. He seemed to start strong but now is reactionary and almost punitive at times. I could also see the county not allowing fans at Laguna and that making management have to respond to the county about maintenance and is it worth it to run the race? Sadly it could end the track since there's a not small group wanting it closed already.

Daytona and Sebring feel like they will be fan free events regardless. It's tough to make rules for fans now and both would draw more than just locals. I could see maybe Sebring allowing small numbers and requiring fans to stay in the vehicle like a drive in movie. Not too sure if Daytona could do the same in the infield. But I think IMSA is more concerned with getting eyes on the cars and sponsors than fans in the stands.
Old 17 May 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3976774)   #535
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Good schedule so far given the situation. I would not count on Laguna Seca happening still. With the way the lunatic California governor operates right now. It is the one and only west coast trip. A part of me is surprised it is on the sked so far for that reason. Big savings in costs of travel. If a race falls through I'd say its most likely that one.

I thought somewhere you could get a double header idea to work out. A 2 hour 40 minute one day. Then split 90 or 100 minute race the next day with a GT and a prototype race each. Maybe could still happen.

Also hope that common sense rather than fear will win out and fans can attend the July Daytona (The Paul Revere 240?) and Sebring sprint races.
I can tell you that the word is no fans for Daytona expect for the people setting up for the race on Sunday.
Old 17 May 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3976777)   #536
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'd agree with you on the Laguna race, Newsome is a bit angry lately and ruling like a dictator. He seemed to start strong but now is reactionary and almost punitive at times. I could also see the county not allowing fans at Laguna and that making management have to respond to the county about maintenance and is it worth it to run the race? Sadly it could end the track since there's a not small group wanting it closed already.

Daytona and Sebring feel like they will be fan free events regardless. It's tough to make rules for fans now and both would draw more than just locals. I could see maybe Sebring allowing small numbers and requiring fans to stay in the vehicle like a drive in movie. Not too sure if Daytona could do the same in the infield. But I think IMSA is more concerned with getting eyes on the cars and sponsors than fans in the stands.
No fans for Daytona and Sebring as confirmed in the IMSA article.
Old 17 May 2020, 23:55 (Ref:3976842)   #537
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
No fans for Daytona and Sebring as confirmed in the IMSA article.
Confirmed now is not confirmed later. It's Florida and rules change, and the governor is not one to quietly pressure Nascar to allow fans and "reopen" sports. It's still a month and half until race day.

It feels like it will hold but again confirmed now doesn't mean a thing.
Old 18 May 2020, 16:59 (Ref:3976982)   #538
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don't get too excited. There would be no fans at the summer Florida races anyway. No sense in activating the ticket apparatus for 1,000 people or less. Be happy for TV.
Old 18 May 2020, 23:41 (Ref:3977046)   #539
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
Don't get too excited. There would be no fans at the summer Florida races anyway. No sense in activating the ticket apparatus for 1,000 people or less. Be happy for TV.
TV will be fine if they run the race in the daytime. MUST make these races TV friendly. I know lots of purists out there don't like this. But headlights flashing on screens at night is not fun viewing. And remember it appears the in-person race fan perspective is not a factor for the summer florida races.

If all the teams advertised are still around when the series returns, GTD could have some very nice grid sizes. Maybe 18 cars for some of these sprint races?
Old 18 May 2020, 23:46 (Ref:3977047)   #540
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
How about let people in for free, but grandstands only. They are big enough. Should not be a concern for the social distancing police (i.e. karens)
Old 19 May 2020, 11:00 (Ref:3977124)   #541
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s gonna be tricky for revenue. I’m sure they could cut the price down. It can done. Just need to put the crowd in the right places
Old 19 May 2020, 18:23 (Ref:3977198)   #542
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s gonna be tricky for revenue. I’m sure they could cut the price down. It can done. Just need to put the crowd in the right places
Well if it can be done its Auto racing. I predict that of all sports, racing will be the first to have fans again. IMSA maybe before anybody. Good podcast from S365 came out today talking about this stuff. Plus the logistical travel issues foreign drivers are facing. I guess the most impacted of all the teams right is going to be CORE/Porsche
Old 20 May 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3977308)   #543
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree with you there. We have got the means to get it back. IMSA will be back. Interesting podcasts indeed, it can happen and they will help drivers get here via whatever means. Of course it might be a struggle for some teams, but we should have enough for a grid of cars
Old 21 May 2020, 21:47 (Ref:3977621)   #544
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Corvette Racing crew chief Dan Binks announced his retirement today. 2020 Daytona 24 will be (was) his last race.

https://racer.com/2020/05/21/corvett...binks-retires/
Old 22 May 2020, 00:43 (Ref:3977631)   #545
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watched the Vette team unload the C7R the last time at PLM and Road Atlanta. I guess that was Dan's last race with the team there. (Dan left middle in photo)

Enjoy the next journey, Dan!
Old 22 May 2020, 06:59 (Ref:3977645)   #546
S griffin
Veteran

Always good to see the guys do their work in the paddock. Probably that was it from him. I hope he enjoys whatever he does next, it'll be hard to follow what he's done
Old 23 May 2020, 22:30 (Ref:3977958)   #547
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Sounds like Binks is moving on to running his own local tuning and car building shop. So a car guy's retirement
Old 23 May 2020, 22:40 (Ref:3977960)   #548
S griffin
Veteran

He’s basically taking a step down from his previous job, like mechanics do when they leave motorsport. A lot of them have gone on to work or run a local garage
Old 24 May 2020, 12:39 (Ref:3978062)   #549
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure the travel is what eventually wears you out.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3980129)   #550
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Porsche has pulled the plug on its gtlm program. Not sure where this leaves the future of the class.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/0...programme.html