Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:01 (Ref:2081450)   #16
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
In V8 Supercars most of the top chassis are built by a few top teams and sold to the smaller teams so it's not really a valid argument. I think you are not entirely wise to how it works down under, which I mean in an inoffensive way. It's hard to tell from the other side of the world
And that's what I thought of ;-). Should work in DTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
But what would you do with all the past year's cars? They already try to equalize the past year's veh with different base weights.
Y'know kmchow, before season ended I really thought, esp. after Catalunya disaster, that both Mercedes-Benz and Audi will compromise and and build four 2007 chassis to add them to four existing 2007 chassis? And will dispose rest , I mean 2006 chassis. Cost of building four 2007 chassis would probably be same as building new 2008 chassis, but would improve morale of privateers and drivers, and... ofc ours.

They didn't do it, which is a shame IMO. I know mates, I was naive, such a romantic I am.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:02 (Ref:2081451)   #17
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I was trying to say is that they're more closely aligned than you think. The two top manufacturers dominate the privateers both on the track and in business.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:24 (Ref:2081472)   #18
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
They didn't do it, which is a shame IMO. I know mates, I was naive, such a romantic I am.
You clearly forgot the fact that Audi recently introduced a new A4 Just like Mercedes updated their DTM car this year to mimick their new C class.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2095701)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like there will be no new regs for 2009 after all. Touring car times wrote that new regs will come at the earliest in 2010 and someone on the official DTM forum (don't go there it's a horrible place) quoted an article from Motorsport aktuell, that said that Audi will only allow new regs if a new manufacturer comes into the series.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:40 (Ref:2095707)   #20
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
the official DTM forum (don't go there it's a horrible place)
You have made me curieus. Before I go there, what is so bad about it?
Old 28 Dec 2007, 12:57 (Ref:2095750)   #21
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpeed-King should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A bunch of ultra-uninformed but ultra-biased morons who spent 2/3s of their time insulting each other (or the drivers and other personell from the enemy manufacturer).
www.dtm.com/forum

Don't say that I didn't warn you...
Old 1 Jan 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2097769)   #22
clioracer
Rookie

clioracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
It's all right if Audi and Mercedes make their own chassisses and engines. If they then sell them to teams, who finetune them and then race them. Let the best team and driver win.
But as long as the DTM is run by Germans it won't be easy to follow the Australian example. It's just because Germans aren't Australians, they lack the easygoing spirit to 'see what happens'. They like to be in control. Maybe Audi en Mercedes need to hire foreign managers to be responsible for the DTM-business.
Is it possible to "fine tune them"?
I think it`s only because the Germans, Mercedes Benz and Audi are so good at building top quality touring cars that the series still survives today. GM (Opel) could not win even with a host of good drivers like Frentzen and others. Maybe the cars, when brand new would be too expensive for customer cars.
The easygoing spirit is alive and well in motorsports i think ......in F1 it`s called Toyota!
Old 3 Jan 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2098744)   #23
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
BTW is Rob Veltman member of this forum?
Yes.... he visits the forum quite often.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2104909)   #24
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i remember the first time i ever saw DTM on tv.
used to be shown late on a monday night (i used to stay up in secret to watch it as it was waaay past my bed time!)
on came these awesome looking hot rods that looked like mercs, opels, alfas and even some mustangs!

it was awesome.... they looked wild! like the sports sedans they raced here. i loved it.

now i watch it (when i can find some coverage) and i still love it.
why? coz the racing is close and HARD! and the drivers are amoungst the best in the world.
but..... i agree.... having two makers with 4 currant cars each and making the other teams run old cars is just ludicris!! too many drugs around that rule making table...

i watch the V8SCs here, and i love that series..... its a 2 make heavily regulated series, but i feel there is more teams there that can win a race than there is in DTM. they are similar in ways.... but at the end of the day i think the V8s have it worked out a bit better.

for example: DTM.... 2 makers run the top 8 cars in thier own teams and the other teams must run old cars.

V8SC, while the 2 makers have factory teams, they support many teams with chassis and engines. and the tech rules are made in such a way that a privateer team can afford to make thier own chassis, or have their own engine department.
or in the case of TKR they can lease a car off another team, therefore having the latest spec for a fraction of the cost making them far far more competitive than they otherwise would be.

Last edited by Mr Revhead; 12 Jan 2008 at 21:15.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2123424)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know in which topic to post this, but IMO this is how DTM cars should look like (except 4 doors instead of 2):

Photo source: www.autoweek.nl

Mercedes C-class, Audi A4 with these type of spoilers...Real cars, not the current tubeframe cars with plastic bodies...
Old 7 Feb 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2123489)   #26
Speed-King
Veteran

I think they thought about something like this at some point, but dismissed it in favour of the common chassis-idea.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2123508)   #27
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree to 100%. The new GT2 Aston too is damn good looking and would fit perfectly as a DTM car. Why dont DTM just take the FIA-GT2 rules and run as sprint races? We would get damn good racing!
Old 7 Feb 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2123522)   #28
Speed-King
Veteran

The problem might be cost-containment. The GT2 rules are comparatively wide open, so throwing tons of money on such a project might bring some big improvements, which could in turn lead to an ultra-expensive arms race.

As of now GT2 is almost completely based on costumer-cars and the expenses for the R&D have to be recouped by the car sales, while still keeping them reasonably priced. With two manufacturers that are ready to spent a whole lot of money, it would probably soon get ugly and deterr other manufacturers from entering the series.

Another problem might be, that for a good GT car, the road going counterpart has to be designed with racing already in mind, else you might end up with a less-than-perfect platform, and without a choice to compete against a better suited car...
Old 7 Feb 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2123578)   #29
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The next problem is that both Mercedes and Audi don't have a suitable GT2-car. And they are so deeply embedded in the championship that no way they would be what would effectively be, thrown out of the championship. Add to that that a GT is not a touringcar, so they would have to change the name in DGM, witch doesn't sound as good and familiar....
Old 8 Feb 2008, 00:22 (Ref:2123710)   #30
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Easy mates, you#'re coming to the point, wherewe might say who cares about DTM? I dunno about you, but I thought about it recently and IMO Mercedes-Benz and Audi wouldn't lose much by entering Le Mans Series (Audi is there already, but with two or three more R10 from Rosberg, Abt and Phoenix + Joest doing only USA, this would be one hell of a championship with Pug's), plus Merc in GTS or GT... Man, that's not gonna happen.