Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Oct 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3931449)   #1
steve_r
Veteran
 
steve_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
England
European Capital of Culture 2008
Posts: 2,443
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2015 title decider discussion (split from 2019!)

The whole field let Shedden win it when he was head-to-head against Plato for the title a few years back. It was a miracle akin the the parting of the red sea. Chickens coming home to roost etc.

Not sure that this time round any of the 3 or 4 drivers in contention will have such support from the grid over any of the others.

Can't wait. Whilst Turkington is obviously the favorite, I have a funny feeling that Cammish is going to do what Turkington did last year and win the title even though he has only stepped onto the top step of the podium once all year.

The lovely British autumn weather could also play a big part in this.
steve_r is offline  
__________________
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3931457)   #2
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Ireland
Posts: 4,215
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The whole field let Shedden win it when he was head-to-head against Plato for the title a few years back. It was a miracle akin the the parting of the red sea. Chickens coming home to roost etc.
When your best lap is only the 6th fastest in the field, yet you manage to make up 15 places, then you know miracles are happening.
crmalcolm is offline  
__________________
"It was really frustrating to stay behind slower cars, it ended up to be a fairly boring race for me."
"Wasn't fair! I brake for animals, Lewis doesn't"
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3931514)   #3
FFSM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 68
FFSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The whole field let Shedden win it when he was head-to-head against Plato for the title a few years back. It was a miracle akin the the parting of the red sea. Chickens coming home to roost etc.
Whatever anyone thinks of Jason Plato, that was one of the most embarrassing, shameful episodes of motorsport I've witnessed.

Turned what should have been a super final race of the Championship into a complete farce.
FFSM is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3931528)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,933
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shedden had half the field supporting him. Jason couldn't even get his team mates to support him. Say what you want, but that's the difference between making enemies and making friends. Make a career out of punting drivers and then surprised when nobody wants to help you.

BTCC has thrown competition yellows, has let drivers cause accidents on purpose, and pulls bingo balls out of a tub with special guests to decide grids. Anyone who thinks drivers helping one-another is embarrassing may have lost focus on what BTCC has become. It's a giant parody of itself.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3931529)   #5
GT6
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Posts: 8,903
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFSM View Post
Whatever anyone thinks of Jason Plato, that was one of the most embarrassing, shameful episodes of motorsport I've witnessed.

Turned what should have been a super final race of the Championship into a complete farce.
I agree i was there and it turned me into a Plato fan, as i hate what appeared to be people ganging up to depriving the fans of seeing real competition. but i understand others might disagree
GT6 is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3931550)   #6
porsche962fan
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,792
porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I agree i was there and it turned me into a Plato fan, as i hate what appeared to be people ganging up to depriving the fans of seeing real competition. but i understand others might disagree
so if other drivers want to stick it to him for multiple justified reasons it's now all a farce ?

part of being a really good driver is not to upset most of the grid with various **** like that cos it comes back to bite you
porsche962fan is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3931556)   #7
Johno.UK
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 229
Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of being a really good driver is also not letting personal feelings get in the way of a professional job. I though the whole thing was disgusting personally with drivers behaving like it was a clique ridden club series. I became a fan of Goff after that as he was pretty much the only driver who put up a fight.

On a similar note I always hate the way Gow tells the drivers not to get involved with the championship leaders on track in the final meeting. That makes no sense at all to me.
Johno.UK is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3931565)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran
 
BertMk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Posts: 9,171
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Part of being a really good driver is also not letting personal feelings get in the way of a professional job.
How do you feel about Senna taking out Prost? Would you say Senna was not a 'really good driver' as a result of his actions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I though the whole thing was disgusting
I thought it a rather poetic form of justice - when people are prepared to sacrifice their own results just so a particular individual doesn't win I think it says more about that driver than the others. If it was only one or two drivers getting out of the way it's one thing, but when half the grid does it then that sends a message pretty loud and clear. I'd class Plato's many 'push to pass' moves as more 'disgusting' than drivers moving out of the way to ensure he doesn't win to be honest. From what I recall of being at that meeting most people near me were rather pleased at what was happening.
BertMk2 is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 20:24 (Ref:3931566)   #9
Alfisti
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
England
North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 1,625
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exactly. You're on a track. In a race. You do not let the bloke behind pass you (unless he's your team mate).

It sucked and de-valued Sheddens championship to zero.
Alfisti is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Oct 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3931571)   #10
porsche962fan
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,792
porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

I thought it a rather poetic form of justice - when people are prepared to sacrifice their own results just so a particular individual doesn't win I think it says more about that driver than the others. If it was only one or two drivers getting out of the way it's one thing, but when half the grid does it then that sends a message pretty loud and clear. I'd class Plato's many 'push to pass' moves as more 'disgusting' than drivers moving out of the way to ensure he doesn't win to be honest. From what I recall of being at that meeting most people near me were rather pleased at what was happening.
if I remember it also was from a grid interview where he really critisized Colin Turkington for not supporting him despite the fact that Turks was in with real chance to win the title himself, think it was after race 1 where Turks finished 4th and plato 5th and Turks didn't give the place to him


actually in the indy standings Turks did finish ahead of Plato and was his 3rd Indy title

Last edited by porsche962fan; 2 Oct 2019 at 20:55.
porsche962fan is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:30 (Ref:3931652)   #11
mprmke
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 105
mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was the worst thing I'd ever seen all my life of watching motorsport.

No matter where you are on the grid and what place you're fighting for, as a driver in round 1, round 11, round 15 or whatever you fight as hard as you can, to the best of your ability to look after your own race and your own results. Why should it be any different in round 30?

The situation with Turkington and Plato was a tricky one. Turkington was still mathematically in with a chance of winning the title, but it was considerably less likely than Plato, so you can see both viewpoints on that one.
mprmke is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3931655)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran
 
BertMk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Posts: 9,171
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
It was the worst thing I'd ever seen all my life of watching motorsport.
That suggests you haven't seen much motorsport. To me watching Plato deliberately punt drivers off is worse. I saw every getting of of Sheddens way very much a case of "you reap what you sow" for Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
No matter where you are on the grid and what place you're fighting for, as a driver in round 1, round 11, round 15 or whatever you fight as hard as you can, to the best of your ability to look after your own race and your own results. Why should it be any different in round 30?
That approach rules out any form of team orders / tactics - where do you stand on teams asking drivers to swap positions? Is that the second worst thing you've ever seen in motorsport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
The situation with Turkington and Plato was a tricky one. Turkington was still mathematically in with a chance of winning the title, but it was considerably less likely than Plato, so you can see both viewpoints on that one.
According to your own view on this it's clearcut - why should Turkington have let Plato past? To do so would have been one of the worst things you've ever seen in motorsport
BertMk2 is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:44 (Ref:3931656)   #13
FFSM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 68
FFSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
How do you feel about Senna taking out Prost? Would you say Senna was not a 'really good driver' as a result of his actions?



I thought it a rather poetic form of justice - when people are prepared to sacrifice their own results just so a particular individual doesn't win I think it says more about that driver than the others. If it was only one or two drivers getting out of the way it's one thing, but when half the grid does it then that sends a message pretty loud and clear. I'd class Plato's many 'push to pass' moves as more 'disgusting' than drivers moving out of the way to ensure he doesn't win to be honest. From what I recall of being at that meeting most people near me were rather pleased at what was happening.

Senna vs Prost was a huge grudge match between two drivers, fuelled by resentment held by Senna (rightly or wrongly) at the perceived favouritism from Balestre. This was nothing like that.

Plato is no worse than anyone else on the grid with some of the moves he pulls, which suggests that the situation that arose was much more about his personality off-track.

At this level, these guys should be able to leave their personality issues in the garage once they get on the grid. It should never affect the result of a race, let alone decide a title - and certainly not in such a visible way.

It said a lot more about them than it did about Plato (or Shedden).
FFSM is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Oct 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3931663)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran
 
BertMk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Posts: 9,171
BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!BertMk2 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFSM View Post
Senna vs Prost was a huge grudge match between two drivers, fuelled by resentment held by Senna (rightly or wrongly) at the perceived favouritism from Balestre. This was nothing like that.
This was a grudge match between Plato and half the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFSM View Post
Plato is no worse than anyone else on the grid with some of the moves he pulls,
I'd very much disagree with that - don't get me wrong there are certainly other drivers that aren't averse to the occasional 'push to pass' but Plato is a very consistent offender - and you know it's coming (prime example being shovelling Turkington off at Paddock - a couple of laps of failed moves followed by a punt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFSM View Post
which suggests that the situation that arose was much more about his personality off-track.

At this level, these guys should be able to leave their personality issues in the garage once they get on the grid. It should never affect the result of a race, let alone decide a title - and certainly not in such a visible way.

It said a lot more about them than it did about Plato (or Shedden).
If they can't do it in formula 1 'the pinnacle of motorsport' (see Senna vs Prost) then why would they be able to do that in the BTCC? To me the message that came across was that Shedden had more friends on the grid than Plato (or maybe more a case of Shedden had less enemies?)
BertMk2 is offline  
Quote
Old 3 Oct 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3931666)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,933
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
It was the worst thing I'd ever seen all my life of watching motorsport.
lol. Was it your first year watching motorsport?
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favourite title decider Shoe-maker Formula One 27 15 Oct 2003 21:04
F3000 Title decider: Who will win? Mark F1 National & International Single Seaters 11 14 Sep 2002 02:42
Title Decider Mark F1 Formula One 11 24 Jan 2002 08:40
Formula Ford title decider. paulzinho National & International Single Seaters 9 1 Oct 2001 20:54


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 23:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.