Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Apr 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2439493)   #1
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few Long Beach GP Questions

I'm gonna going to Long Beach for the first time next weekend and I've got a few questions about how the event is run. None of my friends are really into the racing and they just want to be down there to party and drink, but I'd really like to actually pay attention to the race. And I don't really wanna just buy a ticket and roam around by myself, that's no fun.

How much, if any of the track can you see just from the public areas? I can't imagine they'd close off that entire area to only people who bought tickets, otherwise, how would the public be able to go to all of the bars and restaurants in the area? So could I potentially just not buy any ticket and just roam around the outside perimeter of the track with my friends as we hit up bars and such, and still get some decent views of the track?

Also, the LBGP ticket page has prices for the "Indycar Paddock". Is that ticket just for the Indy cars or is it for all of the paddocks? It looks like each of the 4 series racing there is set up in a totally different area, so should I bother spending money on a paddock pass (assuming all it gets me is Indy), or does that include Speed GT ALMS as well?
Old 12 Apr 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2439512)   #2
notguilty
Racer

notguilty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live in LB and will be going so heres the local knowledge for yeah. Bars: there are a few on pine ave which is a block from the track. Plus if get a ticket you can go over by the run up to turn 1 and there are a few restaurants there.As for free viewing that isnt going to work.You stand on the little hill that is between the track and the bars on pine.Thats really about it. Friday is free if you can a voucher out ot the local paper. All paddocks can be accessed with a regular ticket. Only the IRL paddock requires a pass.Oh firday night is the local spanish radio station concert and friday in the KROQ concert. anything else just ask
Old 12 Apr 2009, 23:05 (Ref:2439527)   #3
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by notguilty View Post
I live in LB and will be going so heres the local knowledge for yeah. Bars: there are a few on pine ave which is a block from the track. Plus if get a ticket you can go over by the run up to turn 1 and there are a few restaurants there.As for free viewing that isnt going to work.You stand on the little hill that is between the track and the bars on pine.Thats really about it. Friday is free if you can a voucher out ot the local paper. All paddocks can be accessed with a regular ticket. Only the IRL paddock requires a pass.Oh firday night is the local spanish radio station concert and friday in the KROQ concert. anything else just ask
Which paper has the free Friday voucher? And if you just purchase a Gen Adm. ticket, are there some decent spots to watch from or would you recommend buying a grandstand seat?
Old 12 Apr 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2439535)   #4
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Also, I'm wondering if prices change if you buy the tickets at the gate rather the pre-buying hem.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 00:37 (Ref:2439557)   #5
notguilty
Racer

gen admen tickets dont give you seats in any of the grandstands as of last year. if your already in LB our newstands say it. I'm gonna go scope out whats what tonight.The starting point for gen admen tickets is $25. I buy at the gate every year so. As for good vantage points I recommend by the converntion center toward the Pike but it can get crowded there.The Corona and Tecate tents there help with that in many ways! And in the small complex right before the hairpen by the ALMS paddock. Its never really that busy but you get about 10 seconds of action and you can see and hear the cars working.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 00:51 (Ref:2439560)   #6
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by notguilty View Post
gen admen tickets dont give you seats in any of the grandstands as of last year. if your already in LB our newstands say it. I'm gonna go scope out whats what tonight.The starting point for gen admen tickets is $25. I buy at the gate every year so. As for good vantage points I recommend by the converntion center toward the Pike but it can get crowded there.The Corona and Tecate tents there help with that in many ways! And in the small complex right before the hairpen by the ALMS paddock. Its never really that busy but you get about 10 seconds of action and you can see and hear the cars working.
This site mentions that the "Sunday Only" grandstands are open to Gen Adm. ticket holders on friday and saturday. Is this true?

http://golosangeles.about.com/od/thi...PrixInside.htm

If that is the case, I'll just buy a Saturday Gen. Admission ticket and try to find a friday free voucher. I probably won't go sunday as I'm not that interested in the Indy race and I can watch them in practice/qualifying earlier in the weekend.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2439564)   #7
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
Which paper has the free Friday voucher?
Long Beach Press-Telegram
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:51 (Ref:2439574)   #8
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Long Beach Press-Telegram
Any particular day?
Old 13 Apr 2009, 07:29 (Ref:2439634)   #9
notguilty
Racer

its the sunday paper in the sports section it'll have coverage from the formula d event from this weekend
Old 13 Apr 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2439841)   #10
jv#12
Rookie

jv#12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a General Admission grandstand this year located at pit-out.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2439855)   #11
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv#12 View Post
There is a General Admission grandstand this year located at pit-out.
That'll be driver's left, close to all those restaurants, correct?

Also, AFAIK, the grandstands have been open to all on Friday for sure. I don't know about Saturday but I suspect so, based on past years. They want people in the camera shots! Try the stands at 10 to see the action coming out of 9 (lots of wall banging under the bridge) and going into the hairpin. In the inaugural ALMS event we got to see a Lizard punt an Audi at the braking point for 11, which caused a huge cheer in the stands and made us duck at the apex.

WMU, make time to see the celebrity qualifying on Friday and if possible the race on Saturday. It's a surprisingly good time. I also recommend the Speed GT race.

keke
Old 13 Apr 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2439908)   #12
jv#12
Rookie

jv#12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
That'll be driver's left, close to all those restaurants, correct?
Yes, drivers left near the resturants.
Suprisingly good view if you can claim a seat early enough. If i remember correctly all grandstands are open friday, saturday I'm not to sure.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:56 (Ref:2442748)   #13
alp3
Rookie

alp3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first time as well and mistakenly bought the paddock tickets. So they are up for sale. It's for 04/18/2009. Paid two for $40 + fees. Will let go for $20. I am in West LA.