Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Aug 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3844238)   #526
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Nothing is confirmed until they are on the track so you're point is? Or is that just the sportscar forum version of "First!" without providing any actual info?
lol That's certainly one way to look at it.

I think we've seen enough of the "we won't rule anything out" turned into "program developing on schedule(hyperbole, but you get it)" type articles that they now elicit eye rolls from various individuals as opposed to optimism of class growth.

One thing I've had my eyes opened to in the last 12 months is that the series actively works toward an improved, attractive image of it's product. Sounds stupid and obvious to say it out loud, but the efforts are there. It's not just to fans and teams, but to sponsors. "Look at our series! It's premium! Better names and brands! Better and more eyes are watching us, and we're a more viable platform for advertising!" Again, it sounds a bit simple and duh, but it's there.

These articles go along with that narrative. Sometimes they're true, some times it only exists in the narrative.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3844239)   #527
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's not "confirmed", but it is a nice statement of intent. I think Seans right - I think everyone is just bored of Ford DPI and Ferrari LMP1 confirmed.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3844250)   #528
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It's not "confirmed", but it is a nice statement of intent. I think Seans right - I think everyone is just bored of Ford DPI and Ferrari LMP1 confirmed.
What? When did these programs get confirmed? Now I'm super excited!

Old 17 Aug 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3844255)   #529
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
What? When did these programs get confirmed? Now I'm super excited!

To his credit Mr. Dagys said the Ferrari P1 rumor was his biggest mistake. I'm a big fan of his and the S365 site/staff. I don't like anybody taking shots at them at all. Its better for us fans that they are there and should be defended. The site hit traffic records by the way with the Corvette C8 spy shots.

And remember that we don't want grids to be too large either. A Daytona 24 grid approaching 50 I don't think is a good thing anymore. Got spoiled by this years race having so few full course yellows. 42-46 cars is perfect. Reliability is better now. Don't need 60-70 car grids anymore. Back in 2001 you could say that grid sizes that big is needed and good. Not in 2019.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 14:46 (Ref:3844257)   #530
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like John - I've worked with John on projects in a previous world (when S365 was The Paddock and he was still trying to make it a job). But some of the claims are clickbait, no question. The Ford DPi is as fabricated as the Ferrari LMP1 story, as the actual quote says the exact opposite.

I appreciate having these sites around and appreciate the hard work. I'd just appreciate it more if they were all honest about the news.

Love the sites - but if you're going to make stuff up for hits, then I think poking fun at the site is ok. I don't think there should be a reddit style witch hunt, but a fun acknowledgement that sometimes salt needs sprinkled on the headlines.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 02:51 (Ref:3844394)   #531
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Daily Sportscar seems a little less prone to "Big Scoop! breaking News! Pure Speculation!" articles than some other publications.

This one had a fairly clear quote from the team owner:

"Team co-owner Richard Dean, whilst making it clear that the team were not in support of the class split, also made it clear that United are now actively pursuing a 2020 DPi programme:

'The class split does not work for us, we are not interested in contesting in a class that won’t be in contention for overall wins. If we could be in a DPI next year we would be, but only if the conditions are right and, at present we aren’t there, and it’s now too late to do that properly for next season, so our plans are looking at 2020.'"

Putting together an entirely new program using an entirely new car, all the spares and back-ups, learning how to make it work and such .... while still running in other series ... I could see where that would be a reach.

basically the team wants to run in the top class but right now the way forward isn't looking that clear, but the team is sure that given enough time a good package could be put together.

Pretty clear UA doesn't plan to run Petit .... but we will certainly see them if they are there.

"Considering" articles, to me, are the ones where some team principal says, "Well, that's not on our radar but of course, we will never entirely close the door ... who knows what might come down the road," only to have the headline "Team XX Considering Move to Class Y" slapped on top of a bunch of BS built around the quote.

In this case, the reporter reported exactly what the team principal said .... how is that not good reporting?

Would we all be happier if all the sportscar sites all said "Go to the first race of next season and see for yourself who is on the gird. Don't bother us just because we talk to the teams and know their plans."?
'Looking' at 2020. How many times have we seen that phrase with a year attached? Would be cool to see, but that's just what it is- a wait and see. I have yet to see any of these rumored projects or manufacturers say "we're entering in ..." but I guess the secrecy is there to build up hype or they aren't really that big on jumping in just yet.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3844420)   #532
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
'Looking' at 2020. How many times have we seen that phrase with a year attached? Would be cool to see, but that's just what it is- a wait and see. I have yet to see any of these rumored projects or manufacturers say "we're entering in ..." but I guess the secrecy is there to build up hype or they aren't really that big on jumping in just yet.
I'd agree ... except this is United Autosport, which has repeatedly found ways to cross the ocean and race in IMSA for no particular reason except they wanted to. They have plenty going on in Europe .... they don't need to do partial schedules in IMSA, but they do, year after year, which lends them some credibility in my eyes. Your mileage, will of course vary.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3844450)   #533
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I like John - I've worked with John on projects in a previous world (when S365 was The Paddock and he was still trying to make it a job). But some of the claims are clickbait, no question. The Ford DPi is as fabricated as the Ferrari LMP1 story, as the actual quote says the exact opposite.

I appreciate having these sites around and appreciate the hard work. I'd just appreciate it more if they were all honest about the news.

Love the sites - but if you're going to make stuff up for hits, then I think poking fun at the site is ok. I don't think there should be a reddit style witch hunt, but a fun acknowledgement that sometimes salt needs sprinkled on the headlines.
And in the current (general) media environment, it's hardly worth turning your head for...

Glad they're around, there's lots of (small) new items to dig thru, something I really like and yes, there's probably quite a bit that won't materialize but that's fine. If you don't like the site (or the person himself), then don't spend time on it.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3844503)   #534
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Meh. I've heard a few off hand comments that have revealed a character beneath. I'll get the news that turns into reality in time.

Like I said, there's a narrative to be published. I'm not the target audience.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3845030)   #535
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I used to do some freelance writing for various car magazines and one thing you learn pretty quickly is that it is surprisingly easy to lead someone being interviewed by your word choice or phrasing. Most people will repeat a variation of the question back to you as the first part of the answer. When it comes to writing about a Ford DPI, all you have to do is ask the question that allows something of a "maybe" as the answer.

Q: "Is a Ford DPI something you have considered?"

A: 'While we cannot comment on a potential DPI program we have certainly reviewed it and have considered it as a possibility....' (usually the rest of the quote has more real info and often tells the real story)

Headline: "Ford DPI for 2020??!?!?!?!?!"
Old 20 Aug 2018, 22:45 (Ref:3845090)   #536
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
JD just always asks leading questions. It's a tactic I suppose, but hardly ever gets real good information. He is well connected though, which makes him hard to ignore.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 00:35 (Ref:3845098)   #537
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Nothing is confirmed until they are on the track so you're point is? Or is that just the sportscar forum version of "First!" without providing any actual info?
I always tried to get to the track early in the week at PLM/RDATL. Just because they make it to the track doesn't mean they will make it to the race. I've seen cars destroyed in testing, practice and qualifying.

Hearing news from you folks and our websites that are making it makes me want to go to the track to see these teams bring their best with the highest of hopes.

There are a huge amount of hurdles... technologically, financially and politically with a huge dose of luck to get a car on the track and... win.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 00:53 (Ref:3845100)   #538
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For many years this whole forum was a race to see who could refresh mariantic the quickest and post the scoop here.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 16:54 (Ref:3845239)   #539
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
JD just always asks leading questions. It's a tactic I suppose, but hardly ever gets real good information. He is well connected though, which makes him hard to ignore.

I appreciate what he does and his commitment to the sport, and overall the site is very good. The click bait headlines can be rather frustrating, but outside of that I think he's upped the ante for what it takes to be a modern sportscar news site. Can't be mad at it.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 21:59 (Ref:3845289)   #540
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What are the engines that are available in DPi?

ESM is currently running a Nissan, but it's not the same as the Kolles LMP1 engine?
Could they use the same engine Kolles is running?

I'm unsure of the spec that the IMSA DPi engines have to meet.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 23:22 (Ref:3845297)   #541
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
What are the engines that are available in DPi?

ESM is currently running a Nissan, but it's not the same as the Kolles LMP1 engine?
Could they use the same engine Kolles is running?

I'm unsure of the spec that the IMSA DPi engines have to meet.
I think they started with GT3 homologated engines and engines that previously ran in IMSA as the idea but I think if you bring cash and an engine they would find a way.

ESM runs the GT3 NISMO engines and they are allegedly MUCH higher weighted (physically and COG wise) than other engines. I think they would do better with another Nissan engine but doubt there's interest in bringing something new.

Cadillac seems to run an engine that has the use of petrol and V8 in common with the previous engines so the rules may be a little lax if you all nicely.

Mazda, well they've hung their hat on the MZR line and that's probably gonna last them until they quit. Although it is spectacular often and a good drinking game at times.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 21:27 (Ref:3845653)   #542
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think they started with GT3 homologated engines and engines that previously ran in IMSA as the idea but I think if you bring cash and an engine they would find a way.

ESM runs the GT3 NISMO engines and they are allegedly MUCH higher weighted (physically and COG wise) than other engines. I think they would do better with another Nissan engine but doubt there's interest in bringing something new.

Cadillac seems to run an engine that has the use of petrol and V8 in common with the previous engines so the rules may be a little lax if you all nicely.

Mazda, well they've hung their hat on the MZR line and that's probably gonna last them until they quit. Although it is spectacular often and a good drinking game at times.
You might be right about Mazda, but what confuses me is that they have some great V6s. Conspiracy theorist like myself would point to the engine in the back of the Ford GT. They should use that.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 21:57 (Ref:3845659)   #543
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You might be right about Mazda, but what confuses me is that they have some great V6s. Conspiracy theorist like myself would point to the engine in the back of the Ford GT. They should use that.

Mazda has no V6s at this time. Ford is not likely to let them use the GT's V6 without make them shell out a LOT of money.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 23:00 (Ref:3845664)   #544
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Mazda has no V6s at this time. Ford is not likely to let them use the GT's V6 without make them shell out a LOT of money.
My bad, I didn't realize they discontinued it in the CX-9. My point with the "conspiracy theorist" is that many people believe, myself included, that Mazda designed the Duratec, not Ford. Since Mazda doesn't use it anymore, it's not very witty is it?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 01:30 (Ref:3845677)   #545
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
My bad, I didn't realize they discontinued it in the CX-9. My point with the "conspiracy theorist" is that many people believe, myself included, that Mazda designed the Duratec, not Ford. Since Mazda doesn't use it anymore, it's not very witty is it?

Conspriacy theory? It's only fact that Mazda was involved in the development of the Duratec/Ecotec line - even the MZR is derived from it.

But Ford still has full control over every engine they build in the line after they sold off their share in Mazda. That includes the GT engine.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3845750)   #546
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Conspriacy theory? It's only fact that Mazda was involved in the development of the Duratec/Ecotec line - even the MZR is derived from it.

But Ford still has full control over every engine they build in the line after they sold off their share in Mazda. That includes the GT engine.
That is not the common thought, but whatever man. Have a nice day.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3845856)   #547
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
That is not the common thought, but whatever man. Have a nice day.

Well the common thought needs to do some more research then.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 02:54 (Ref:3848597)   #548
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
According to Mr. Dagys first Laguna notebook on S365, but without getting into details. He is said early indications is that the GTD sprint cup could be very popular.

It is an interesting concept yes. One advantage is that you still have until May 2019 to put a program together for this. Thinking that this could actually indeed rob PWC of potential entries despite the polite words in the press. Which is fine by me. I have lost interest in PWC over the year. I would much rather see IMSA GTD thrive.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3848772)   #549
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I give you the 2019 championship winning driver lineup in the 31 Action Express car
Nasr and Derani:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...ress-for-2019/
Old 8 Sep 2018, 00:24 (Ref:3848792)   #550
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I give you the 2019 championship winning driver lineup in the 31 Action Express car
Nasr and Derani:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...ress-for-2019/

ESM to LMP2 looking more likely by the day. Good luck attracting DPi-supporting sponsorship without your star driver.