Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Apr 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2430342)   #1
10Times8
Rookie

10Times8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring to undergo major changes?

Uh, I'm not sure what I think about this…Potentially pretty disturbing stuff...

www.sebringraceway.com/

Sebring, FL - Sebring International Raceway
Changes for Sebring’s 60th

“…changes entail improvements to circuit layout (including ‘selective’ areas of re-profiling to keep up with the airfield circuit's ever increasing bumpiness) paddock and facilities, and fan access. ISTC spokesman Richard Hannon spoke of working with SIR to “retain the high speed character of the classic circuit…while also introducing new elements…that fully showcases the dynamic handling and low speed versatility of today’s modern prototype and GT cars […together with] providing a more fan-friendly experience.”
“…Initial construction is expected to begin in fall of 2009 with the main phases beginning after the 2010 12 hour event with completion in time for 2012, and the 60th running of the endurance classic. The new layout is expected to extend straight-on from what is now turn 4, reconnecting to the current circuit between turns 9 and 10. A new .6 mile ‘autocross’ extension will be added on newly acquired property on the south end of the circuit, rejoining the existing runway layout midway through the Ullman straight and decreasing the entry speeds into hazardous turn 17. While the bypassed turn 6 facility housing the Four Points by Sheraton Sebring, Chateau Elan will remain, its functions will eventually be geared towards “official usage” and be replaced by a new larger capacity Hotel facility and fan area on the new south end of the circuit…”

You can view press conference and animation of proposed layout here:
Sebring2012LayoutProposal
Old 1 Apr 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2430348)   #2
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty disturbing indeed!

The curves in the track map aren't very graceful. But, I do kinda like how it feels like more of an 80s track rather than the typical Tilke style updates that have been sweeping the globe.

If this does go through as planned, hopefully the track won't seem like a stranger to the fans and drivers. With the new rule changes coming in 2010, and these sweeping Sebring changes, I hope teams will fully commit to Sebring. I hope the Sebring 12 hours atmosphere will be retained, as you wouldn't get this from any other track.

At the very least, I'm never gonna give up hope that this plan falls through, I like the current bumpy Sebring just the way it is! What a let down this would be if the turn 4 to turn 10 run around is completed, leaving turns 5-9 deserted. Perhaps I'll have to visit in 2010. Hopefully I won't start crying while saying my goodbyes! With any luck, this will turn out to be a lie, and it'll hurt no one.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2430357)   #3
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The link to proposed layout is broken. I guess you mean this
Old 1 Apr 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2430454)   #4
protopuma
Racer

protopuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done sir, Well done. Loved the rick rolled too.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2430489)   #5
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best one yet i've seen today
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 1 Apr 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2430630)   #6
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dude, thats just mean
Old 2 Apr 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2431225)   #7
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I hate reading these the day after...
Old 3 Apr 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2432268)   #8
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or the day after the day after...

Chris