Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 May 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2464810)   #76
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
A3.Disaster for Rahal. No top speed at all either. Waith for Road America and mosport
4.That Zytek sounded identical to the Acura.
I would guess BMW will threaten to leave unless they get some concessions.

The Zytek is much more stacatto on the overrun. It is a rude beast, I love it!

robert
Old 18 May 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2464813)   #77
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I would guess BMW will threaten to leave unless they get some concessions.
With Thiessen at the helm it wouldn't supprise me, that guy can moan for germany.
Old 19 May 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2464893)   #78
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
They said on RLM that they are running it but the battery strap is not homologation.. Where did you get that information?
Is it fitted but not being used?

Or have we different interpretations of the quote?
Think we are saying the same thing. Just finished watching the SPEED broadcast and they said all the hybrid parts are in the car, but they aren't using them in conjunction with the petrol engine. So yes they were running with the hybrid, but not using it.

On another note. I thought the SPEED broadcast was pretty good. Nice camera work and decent commentary. I liked how they caught the Vici car nearly hitting the wall, excellent save by Stuck.

I was also gutted to see the Viper fall out with 3 laps left while they were running in the points.
Old 19 May 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2464918)   #79
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the run-up to the Zytek's debut, I read several stories that all mentioned the 4.5L. Shame if they didn't get to use the Big Boy.
I liked Johnny's early pass on the P2 Lola Turbo Mazda. I half hoped he used the Hybrid system for that pass as the high altitudes should have really given the Mazda Turbo a big advantage. But I guess not.
The Zytek may rev like the Acura, but when they back down off-throttle, the Zytek becomes this primal super-dooper-movie-theatre-Popcorn-machine. It was quite amusing to see the TV focusing on other cars yet almost always we could hear the Zytek Pop-Popping in the background. Marvelous sound.
Old 19 May 2009, 07:35 (Ref:2464950)   #80
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes me sad to watch how much better the Acura was than the Intersport car... then a straight comes and bye bye. That car has one big weakness... it was like watching the Peugeot eat them alive at Sebring.
Old 19 May 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2465199)   #81
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was also gutted to see the Viper fall out with 3 laps left while they were running in the points.
Huh? If by that you mean the podium, not even close, ever...and two laps out of 6th when it was parked. If you literally mean "points-paying positions," ALMS awards points to the top ten in each class. With ten GT2 starters, the Viper not only ran "in the points all day," but finished in the points. (You don't have be running to score points if you complete 70% of the class leader's laps.)
Old 19 May 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2465295)   #82
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
Huh? If by that you mean the podium, not even close, ever...and two laps out of 6th when it was parked. If you literally mean "points-paying positions," ALMS awards points to the top ten in each class. With ten GT2 starters, the Viper not only ran "in the points all day," but finished in the points. (You don't have be running to score points if you complete 70% of the class leader's laps.)

My apologies, I had it in my mind that only the top 8 got points, and the Viper being in 7th at the time before the breakdown would have sufficed. Guess I was thinking of a different series......
Without the mech problem the Viper would have beaten the BMW's which I think would have been fine accomplishment for them.
Old 20 May 2009, 04:31 (Ref:2465493)   #83
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the track, I never confused the sound of the Zytek with the Acura at any point. On the over run, I ducked a few times. And, as for the relative speed of the Intersport versus the Acuras, you only had to look at the rear wing angle and the wild slides in the turns to see where the Intersport speed was coming from. It was very clear from the track layout (one 3500 ft straight, one 1000 ft straight and the rest of the distance mostly high and medium speed turns) that a good qualifying setup (high downforce) would be all wrong for the race because the speed through the majority of the course would be determined by the slowest car that did not give up the line. The offset to the low downforce strategy would be tire wear from all the long, high and medium speed turns and slip sliding around. But there was no way a responsible team manager would set up as loose as Fields did just to run a few laps near the front.

One of the things I don't think was caught by most was that the 21 Panoz ran out of fuel or otherwise had a problem on the back part of the course and lost about 12 seconds on his in lap to the last fuel stop. Without that, the 21 had a pretty good shot at the podium. All top speed, of course, and he held up the 18 in the twisty bits for many laps. Still, a well set up and driven effort by the 21.
The GT3 cars were not the disaster I expected but there were a lot of very close calls and the protos were very obviously hesitating and waving a giant "I'm here" flag when approaching from the rear. I still don't see what they (GT3s) add. If you are a fan, you don't care and if you are a casual attendee, you are already so confused by 4 classes that look like 2 classes and a field so jumbled by varying fuel/tire strategies that even the RLM announcers get confused that you give up and have another beer then go home before the race is over. That's what they did Sunday, anyway. Well, not the beer. It was SLC, after all.
Old 20 May 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2465806)   #84
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
My apologies, I had it in my mind that only the top 8 got points, and the Viper being in 7th at the time before the breakdown would have sufficed. Guess I was thinking of a different series......
Without the mech problem the Viper would have beaten the BMW's which I think would have been fine accomplishment for them.
I'm sorry for questioning your excitement; I assume you are a huge Viper fan. But I have a hard time with the idea that beating two cars delayed by mechanical failures and accident damage is "a fine achievement."

Why wouldn't Primetime just get a Ferrari F430 and be done with it? I mean, if the idea is to race.....?
Old 20 May 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2465875)   #85
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm sorry for questioning your excitement; I assume you are a huge Viper fan. But I have a hard time with the idea that beating two cars delayed by mechanical failures and accident damage is "a fine achievement."

Why wouldn't Primetime just get a Ferrari F430 and be done with it? I mean, if the idea is to race.....?
Yes, but the Viper avoided an accident and was reliable enough. Thats the whole point!
Old 20 May 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2465891)   #86
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You'd a thunk! But...?

L.P.
Old 20 May 2009, 20:00 (Ref:2465931)   #87
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the Viper cheaper to run? Or they like driving a Viper, for instance, because it's American and they're American?
Old 20 May 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2465964)   #88
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Is the Viper cheaper to run? Or they like driving a Viper, for instance, because it's American and they're American?
I would imagine its the passion - they have designed it, built it and raced it. That must be special.

I reckon that there should be a support race for teams like this at Le Mans in the same race as the FLM, to add a bit of spice to it and to let the teams have a go at the Le Mans track.
Old 20 May 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2465968)   #89
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many teams like this could afford a trip to Le Mans just to be in a support race?
Old 20 May 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2465973)   #90
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
How many teams like this could afford a trip to Le Mans just to be in a support race?
I'm not the ACO, I wasn't actually planning this!

Just a point, how did the Gillet Vertigo get to San Luis in the FIA GT?
Old 20 May 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2466046)   #91
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I would imagine its the passion - they have designed it, built it and raced it. That must be special.

I reckon that there should be a support race for teams like this at Le Mans in the same race as the FLM, to add a bit of spice to it and to let the teams have a go at the Le Mans track.
The 24 hrs used to be full of teams like this; what is this, divide and separate?

The little people get the little race, while the over-lords get the real race?
Old 21 May 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2466096)   #92
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Gee Bob, the times are a changin I guess. I don't really follow the stick and ball sports but I imagine they will follow this methodology too--if they can't compete and win they should just pack up and not try. Heck, in golf you could almost think you could reduce the field to Tiger Woods and maybe one other, it would increase the efficiency for the fans following and also the sports reporters and such.

robert, firmly in crumudgeon-ville
Old 21 May 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2466606)   #93
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
The 24 hrs used to be full of teams like this; what is this, divide and separate?

The little people get the little race, while the over-lords get the real race?
No what I meant was that teams like this NEVER have a budget to do a 24 hour race.
Old 23 May 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2467801)   #94
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
Why isn't the Zytek running the 4.5L engine? Last year at Petit we saw the 4.5L version out class the 4.0L.
Simply put, the team stayed with what they knew and was a proven item to them. By doing that, that left them with one less thing to worry about while working out the electrical system(s). btw - the car hasn't yet run using both power systems at the same time, only one or the other.