Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2003, 05:28 (Ref:562395)   #1
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber to Williams in 04

Just reading ITV website where it mentions that Frank Williams and Patrick Head are very interested in Mark Webber to replace Ralf Schumacher next year. I don't know how accurate this is but it would be great to see Webber next to Montoya. They seemed to be very impressed with Webber's performance at Brazil. I for one would love to see this happen, it would be fantastic. The way Webber performed at Brazil suggests to me that a podium or 2 this year wouldn't be to far fetched. Just have to wait and see. Any thoughts?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 05:59 (Ref:562405)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is too early to pick a new driver for next season, especially by just taking a look up and down the F1 grid and picking one because he's looked good so far. Everyone in F1 except the Minardis and Antonio Pizzonia has looked impressive. Whether that is because the new rules are making every finish a fluke or because these new rules expose the true talent of a driver, I don't know; it's just too soon. Heck, I wouldn't even rule out Sebastien Bourdais or Bruno Junqueira to be brought back over from CART next year to sit behind Montoya.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 07:21 (Ref:562436)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didnt think Ralf Schumacher was out of contract at the end of this year?

Webber is on a 2 year deal at Jaguar, and looks to be their sole asset at the moment... How much better would Pedro de la Rosa have been in the second seat than Pizzonia, especially if he copied Webber's settings....

I am not sure Ralph Firman has done much to assert his place in the field for Jordan, indeed the success of Fisico in Brazil overshadows Firman a lot!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Apr 2003, 09:29 (Ref:562533)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A straight swap possibly - Ralf for Mark?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 09:31 (Ref:562537)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
god I hope it is not true
Old 8 Apr 2003, 09:32 (Ref:562541)   #6
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Jaguar want Ralf over Webber? Serious Question. I think if I was at Jag I would be happy with Webber. If Michael was offered then maybe I would swap but it would have to be someone of that Calibre.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:13 (Ref:562599)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Webber has to be one of the favourites for the 2004 Williams drive. Ralf was a little better in Brazil, but still didn't look like a true topline driver. Meanwhile Webber really showed his potential, although the result didn't match the performance due to the late crash.

Even if Ralf is udner contract, I can imagine Frank breaking that to sign someone else - paying him off will cost a lot less than any kind of chassis improvement to make the same performance gain.

It would be rough on Pizzonia, considering the mount of testing he's done for Williams, but, on sheer performance, he hasn't come anywhere close to Webber. Maybe they could offer Ralf and Gene as Jaguar's 2004 lineup?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:41 (Ref:562622)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would certainly be pleasing to see Mark driving a Williams but i don't know how easily Jaguar would let him go.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:01 (Ref:562688)   #9
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Webber is only in his first of a 2 year deal (for what that's worth) perhap's William's should look at Justin Wilson, ok he fell off in Brazil but he was in good company and he had made up a hell of a lot of places just as he has in both of the other races. (He'd probably be cheaper too!)
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:07 (Ref:562697)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
god I hope it is not true
You're joking right? Williams are a fantastic team - Jaguar will never get above mid-field.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:10 (Ref:562698)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella to Williams PLEASE!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:41 (Ref:562738)   #12
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sorry Glen I disagree Williams have a fantastic motor but thats it Williams have a long history of mistreating they drivers ie underpaying ,bagging them out in the press
I can think of better teams than Williams for Mark.

I also think Jag will rise up from midfield Jag is moving up by the looks of it Williams is moving down town
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:55 (Ref:562753)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams work their drivers hard - can't imagine Mark having a problem with that.

The car is getting better al the time - it could have won on Sunday and I'm sure it will win soon - I am equally certain that a Jaguar won't be winning ANY time soon!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 13:58 (Ref:562818)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to say but Glen- Jaguar did get above mid field, most of the race, they started 3rd with webber held it and ran 4th most of the day, when he had dropped back he calmly made his way up into the points, Jaguar impressed me with the handling and webber's speed. If he stays at jaguar I hope he gets a great car in his remaining races, or Williams snags him, Ralf has not impressed as a car of that calibre should do better in his hands, JPM is just hot headed and loses it when he is leading. But at least you expect JPM to lead a GP if not win the thing. Ralf notso much any more.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 14:10 (Ref:562826)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Mark Webber and Giancarlo Fisichella for Ferrari in 2004!!! Ughh... sorry, just dreaming...
Old 8 Apr 2003, 15:12 (Ref:562872)   #16
Glen
Veteran

GT - certainly agree about Ralf, but not JPM!

Jaguar did do really well, at this race... but Interlagos is a funny circuit and the condidtions were strange too. If Jaguar have another race as good as that one I'll be (pleasantly) surprised - and even then I'd be more inclined to give credit to Webber than the car. On the same tyres they have got Renault and Williams ahead of them - quite a long way ahead of them - and on a similar mid-field level they've got Sauber and BAR to beat (regularly) before they can be considered to be making good progress.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 16:13 (Ref:562922)   #17
Zep
Rookie

Zep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber to Williams???

Frank has so big "junior team" that I would think that one of those drivers would get the seat. Outside that group Fisichella would be a dream come truth.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 17:36 (Ref:563005)   #18
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Maybe they could offer Ralf and Gene as Jaguar's 2004 lineup?
Both for Webber ?
Oh yeah, Ralf as a cheap bonus... (or maybe not so cheap, he has BMW on his back I guess)

Last edited by Speed; 8 Apr 2003 at 17:38.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 18:16 (Ref:563039)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if it's true or if it's possible, but I am supporting any top seat for Webber ! As long as he can make some podiums, the best will be offered for him.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 18:24 (Ref:563046)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At first I thought "shut up" but the more I look into this and read the articles (plural!!) the more this looks like a hot rumour!! Will post back!!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 18:41 (Ref:563062)   #21
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i heard from someone who knows someone...that bigwigs reckon webber is one of the few who can get a team working in one direction...a la schuey.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 19:20 (Ref:563091)   #22
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber would be quite a catch, I for one would love to see Mark and Juan matched up against each other
Old 8 Apr 2003, 19:31 (Ref:563103)   #23
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber has a contracxt with Jaguar...and I dont think they want to have another full driver change for next season....RS...is still contracted till the end of 2004...and the fact that it comes from ITV...it's just speculation....
Old 8 Apr 2003, 19:54 (Ref:563132)   #24
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if Webber is all that... He's definately good and I can't see Jaguar letting go of him. If he stays with them, they build the car to suite him (Which they'd be stupid not to) then there's hope for Shaguar yet. I imagine Ford will put them on a 'results for funds' deal.

Anyhow, Webber should see this as a chance to build a team up with himself. If he puts in hard yards with Jaguar fully working with him, he's got a decent shot at things.

But it's to early still to say if he's going to be one of the top performers of the year. It's a long season.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 23:34 (Ref:563407)   #25
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Contract's don't really mean a great deal in F1 so i'd be suprised if Ralf is still with William's in 2004, maybe Frank would offer Jaguar a straight swap of drivers although i think Jaguar might want someone better than Ralf as a straight swap.