Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Aug 2004, 01:38 (Ref:1065509)   #1
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Japan GT to become international

The GT-Association is aiming to turn the Japan GT Championship into an international championship, with races in Japan (of course), Malaysia and China.

While I agree that Asia should have its own GT series, I am not sure if Japan GT is what we really want. I just wish the Japanese manufacturers would go along with the ACO/FIA GT rules. I mean, don't they want to win Le Mans?
Old 14 Aug 2004, 02:10 (Ref:1065524)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Japan GT to become international

Quote:
Originally posted by Asa
I mean, don't they want to win Le Mans?
Apparently not.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 04:17 (Ref:1065616)   #3
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, they allow FIA/ACO cars...isnt that enough?

Although i think they allow them in so they can spank them and make them look worse than they really are...
Old 14 Aug 2004, 04:34 (Ref:1065655)   #4
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy
well, they allow FIA/ACO cars...isnt that enough?

Although i think they allow them in so they can spank them and make them look worse than they really are...
SWEET
Old 14 Aug 2004, 05:25 (Ref:1065694)   #5
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
The thing is, they will need FIA approval to become an international series, don't they?

Could the FIA get them to adopt the ACO/FIA GT rules then?
Old 14 Aug 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1065814)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
It may be a good thing to get the different series closer... they just need time, bu at the end we could have this real international championship we all - or almost- dream about

Thanks for that Asa, and keep on posting ; that's great to cover the whole planet on Ten-tenths !

Last edited by Fab; 14 Aug 2004 at 09:16.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 10:27 (Ref:1065881)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The FIA GT-spec cars in Japan are heavily penalised to prevent them winning.

But the prospect of a Far East GT series is a good one.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1065887)   #8
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This new direction is very important for manufacturers and for the interest of endurance races.
Now we can expect the creation of a Chinese GT or sport car !
Good idea !
Fab, you are right. Asa, keep on telling us the asian endurance news !
Old 14 Aug 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1065906)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by PascaLM
This new direction is very important for manufacturers and for the interest of endurance races.
Now we can expect the creation of a Chinese GT or sport car !
Good idea !
Fab, you are right. Asa, keep on telling us the asian endurance news !
Tha ks for the support, mate ! Hope to have you here this afternoon with Bernard as french representants !
Old 14 Aug 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1065936)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of course they really don't NEED FIA approval, but to run in any fia/aco contest naturally they would.
as long as they sanction themselves, they can have a dandy championship- if the drivers wins and performances are to be acknowledged for FIA/ACO liscencing then i would assume they do need FIA approval. after all many club races cross borders in northamerica without FIA approval, but then no one there gives a hoot they are racing amongst themselves.
the JGTC has been international for a few years now since they have been racing in Malaysia since 2001 i think so this is very old news.
they have eyed China since the whisper of a Chinese F1 race, and a race in Seoul korea has been on the tablet as well.
and with a demonstration race in the US at California Speedway infield roadcourse (and possibly a round for a future championship in some california track considered)
teh JGTC is poised well to go international, not to mention it is at its ever spiralling upwards hieght of popularity.
and the Grand-Am sanction (from the NASCAR France family)
has adopted rules to allow the JGTC cars and their type of construction to be legal (of course turbos i am not sure about- the the new V8 supra can play) it is like a GTX class but in the Grand-Am "GT"
so they don't care about taking these cars to lemans- perhaps some tweaks would make them GTS legal- but i believe these things from JGTC have full under trays and splitters a mile wide, and dive planes galore, and crazy wings- a JGTC car in GTS spec would not fair well at the moment, perhaps with a little more rule sculpting it can happen.
but for now it is one of the most savagely competitvly raced and tech'd out series around and is just stunning to see and hear-
Old 15 Aug 2004, 06:42 (Ref:1066785)   #11
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
gttouring, I think u don't fully understand. JGTC has been, and still is, a national championship with one overseas championship round in Malaysia.

The exhibition race planned for California does not count for the championship. FIA rules state that a national championship can only have 1 overseas championship race.

If the JGTC wants to have championship rounds in China, Malaysia and the USA, then it must apply to the FIA to become an international championship (and drop 'Japan' from its name).
Old 15 Aug 2004, 08:07 (Ref:1066828)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree - it is and will remain a Japanese-based series.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1067009)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The JGTC has been running since 1994, and the manufactuers have always treared it as a national, or at most, an Asian championship. Honda, Toyota and Nissan have all competed at Le Mans with cars that are totally different to the JGTC machines.

Finally the current JGTC cars have no relation to the road cars these days. After 2002 the regs were changed scrapping what road car relation/parts they had previously. Now they are full house prototypes.

P.S I can't see JGTC cars competing in Grand-Am. They are quicker than even an unrestricted GTS car!
Old 15 Aug 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1067013)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ignore

Last edited by JAG; 15 Aug 2004 at 12:51.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 03:13 (Ref:1067714)   #15
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
COuldnt they always make the F in FIA mean something different? Im pretty sure if i had the finiancial backing, i could run a series wherever i pleased...FIA or not.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 07:18 (Ref:1067810)   #16
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
If you don't mind becoming just a series and not a championship, then I suppose you could.

The same way that Champcar is a World Series but F1 is a World Championship.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1068010)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

ASA- Champcar is a world series simply i believe they can not crown a world champion as it would be infringement on F1,
and the JGTC can becaome an international championship, if they choose (the exhibition round at California may go championship round that was a rumor for 2006)
why do they need the FIA?
they can be international with or without the approval there is no monopoly here, i would believe it is a matter of respect and unification of the racing world to turn to one sanctioning body to keep safety parameters up to a certain level and the FIA have extablished all this.
i am sure the JGTC can tell FIA to go screwdriver if they would remain a trans border multinational Japan GT cahmpionship...even if the called themselves the International Japan GTC it really would ruffle feathers, it i a premier and very admired series for equality and driver skill and tech world over.
FIA? we don' need no steenking FIA
Old 16 Aug 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1068200)   #18
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
gttouring, what I said about JGTC applying to the FIA to become an international championship is just what is reported in Crash Net Japan.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1068312)   #19
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BRING THE JGTC TO THE UK PLEASE !!!!! i watch them on motors TV when i can and they are amazing, hi tech but drivers show skill.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 00:16 (Ref:1068753)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

oh sorry Asa- but why does the FIA monopolize the global racing scene?
why did they have to apply?
does the iluminati exist afterall?
Old 17 Aug 2004, 01:44 (Ref:1068804)   #21
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
No problem at all gttouring. I guess the JGTC just needs to apply properly and it is a formality for the application to go through.

But it will unlikely keep the two words Japan and Championship in the title, it maybe renamed as the "Asian-Pacific GT Series"?
Old 17 Aug 2004, 02:25 (Ref:1068814)   #22
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's more than a few Aussie teams that would be interested in an Asia-Pacific GT Championship or something like it.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1068915)   #23
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
[B]oh sorry Asa- but why does the FIA monopolize the global racing scene?
Because the FIA is the international motor racing governing body, and recognised as such even by the United States. The FIA is the global racing scene.

"But why-"

Because it was there first.

"But why-"

Because NASCAR et al. don't care, they just get on with the business of putting on a series - the commercial approach. Which is fair enough (although it goes without saying that the underlying ideology is b*ll*cks because we all know that motor racing is a sport not a business) - but no international series can be a "Championship" unless the FIA gives it that title. The FIA has that exclusive right. And that's a good thing; at least you don't have 13 "World Champions" like you have in boxing. But does it stop a series from becoming a success anyway? (NASCAR, CART, DTM) - No.

Quote:
does the iluminati exist afterall?
Maybe the FIA just isn't as easy to shut up as the U.N.
Thank god for French stubbornness.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1069268)   #24
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf

Maybe the FIA just isn't as easy to shut up as the U.N.
Thank god for French stubbornness. [/B]
Oh yes CY, the FIA has such a fine record in managing sports car racing, how many successful series have they killed off ?

Bob
Old 17 Aug 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1069853)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

so was there some international legal arrangement made for the FIA to become the governing body and the only one?
what about the ACO? or have they fallen under the auspices of FIA?
or have they always been a sort of Global "concorde" agreement for all sanctioning bodies to turn to? i never did quite get it.
NASCAR- bah
they are so diluted about racing -nice business plan though.
but how can they kill the watkins glen race? the are rumored....wait i'll start a thread