Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Jan 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1194790)   #1
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Research Paper

As you all know I am a high school student, anyway I was assigned in English to write a paper on a topic of my choosing. I have chosen to write on the history of CART/Champ Car. Since I know all of you are great people, I was wondering if anybody here could post some links or resourses that would help me in my task. I also need to present this in front of the class, I was also wondering since I will be kind of advertising Champ Car to my class, So could you guys tolerate reading my rough drafts and telling me how they sound? I would really appreciate it, thanks.
Greg

Last edited by GBoehm; 6 Jan 2005 at 22:11.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1194859)   #2
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I'm not mistaken, but I think Autocourse put out a 20th anniversary CART book a few years back (around 1999, since CART was founded in 1979).

Try www.champcarworldseries.com
Also, see if you can get your hands on any Autocourse CART yearbook.
Maybe the websites of long time CART teams (like www.newman-haas.com) may have something.

Good luck! I always thought it was easier to do a paper on a topic which interested me.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1194862)   #3
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Luck Greg, I really hope that you can narrow down what specifically you want to talk about. because over the summer I was assigned a paper on something that I did that my peers didnt and of course I picked CCWS, the paper was suppose to be 5-7 pages I ended up writing 12 pages. Try to work on why it is that you like CCWS so much on not so much the aspects of Champ cars and their history.

Last edited by Tenoch; 6 Jan 2005 at 23:50.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 01:33 (Ref:1194895)   #4
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon Kirby is writing a series of articles right now that are being published at www.champcarworldseries.com on the origins of Champ Car/CART/USAC/AAA racing in America. They would be a good primer for your research even though they are written from the view of a Champ Car supporter.
Old 7 Jan 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1194971)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You may have a hard time finding it in the library, but the book to which MLM refers would be the only reference you'd need. It's very comprehensive and complete.

Published by Autocourse, the book is entitled "CART: The First Twenty Years (1979-1998)" and is written by Rick Shaffer.

Link to Amazon.com

The book contains the "White Paper" and details the reasons for its creation. It explains the ensuing court battle when the CART teams were disallowed entry into the Indy500, and continues to outline CART's growth through the early years.

No - I don't work for the company - but it's an excellent book. Jordi was the one who originally turned me on to it.

Any specific questions, Greg, please feel free to PM me. Likewise, I'd be more-than-happy to offer suggestions on your rough draft.

Good luck!
Old 7 Jan 2005, 07:43 (Ref:1194989)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autocourse is always an excellent book, whether in F1 or ChampCar mode.

Likewise, any drafts you want to PM me I'd be more than happy to cast a professional journalistic eye over.

Best wishes!
Old 7 Jan 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1195313)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and for statistical information look at the Motorsports Almanac
Old 7 Jan 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1195486)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, when you're done please post your paper, it will be an interesting read for us.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1195981)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBoehm
As you all know I am a high school student, anyway I was assigned in English to write a paper on a topic of my choosing. I have chosen to write on the history of CART/Champ Car. Since I know all of you are great people, I was wondering if anybody here could post some links or resourses that would help me in my task. I also need to present this in front of the class, I was also wondering since I will be kind of advertising Champ Car to my class, So could you guys tolerate reading my rough drafts and telling me how they sound? I would really appreciate it, thanks.
Greg
I'll be happy to read and critique your drafts; I'm an editor by trade and I do it all the time. You can forward them to me by e-mail any time.
Old 8 Jan 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1196017)   #10
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
Thanks the first drafts will come during next week, so I will keep all of you posted on how it is coming.

Last edited by GBoehm; 8 Jan 2005 at 18:41.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1196912)   #11
LadyRaceFan
Rookie

LadyRaceFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM
If I'm not mistaken, but I think Autocourse put out a 20th anniversary CART book a few years back (around 1999, since CART was founded in 1979).

Try www.champcarworldseries.com
Also, see if you can get your hands on any Autocourse CART yearbook.
Maybe the websites of long time CART teams (like www.newman-haas.com) may have something.

Good luck! I always thought it was easier to do a paper on a topic which interested me.
That's funny I am reading that book right now it's titled CART, THE FIRST 20 YEARS, 1979-1998.

It's actually pretty cool. Lot's of information.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1198567)   #12
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg, check out the article/link Dov posted in the thread "Gordon Kirby's Inside Track".
That has some history in it.
How's it going with the paper?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 06:11 (Ref:1198700)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I believe that there have now been three installments of Gordon Kirby's article, all available on the CC website.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1199363)   #14
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
I will try to have the first draft this weekend. I've been so busy studying for finals its been going pretty slow.