Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2000, 23:06 (Ref:40848)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's the last race of the millennium. The post-race party is winding down, and the wheelers and dealers are drifting off to reclaim their Learjets and Porsches from the quieter parts of the circuit.

You are kicking your heels behind the pits, when you notice that Bernie's Motorhome is open. You sneak a peek inside, and find a label on the dashboard reading "Patent Time Machine".

The label also says "To Bernie, happy christmas, in gratitude for all you have done for us, signed Jean T." but that's not important.

A time machine. Your very own time machine. And there on the console is Bernie's "access all areas" pass.

It's good to be the king...

You close the door on the world. You want no one to disturb you, because a cunning plan is beginning to hatch.

So this year hasn't been all that great. It's been fun, but by no means a vintage year. So, armed with Bernie's season ticket to all the world championship races, and with a time machine that can take you back to any season of the world championship since 1950....

Which year would you go back to? And why? What were the highlights?
Old 4 Oct 2000, 03:09 (Ref:40869)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If I could erase Lauda's crash, but keep the amazing drama of his comeback, culminating in James Hunt's WC at the last race of the season. It marked the ascendency of McLaren and featured amazingly inventive technology like the Tyrell six-wheeler. It also featured a long forgotten aspect of F1, overtaking and close racing.

...and, I would be 25 years old again!

Old 4 Oct 2000, 10:47 (Ref:40953)   #3
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why can't I go further back than 1950? Please I must go to 1937! Please please please!!!!

I don't know to much of racing history and to my regret I don't have the time to study it properly. But if there is one thing I know it is that nothing beats the real silver arrows, or bugatti's or Nuvolari and Varzi and Carraciola etc etc etc etc.

Old 4 Oct 2000, 11:09 (Ref:40957)   #4
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree entirely with NeilC !!! 1976 for sure !! Plus the added bonus that I'd only be 13 , if only I knew then what I know now............
Old 4 Oct 2000, 11:31 (Ref:40962)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see that this is the Old Farts' topic. Go ahead, kids, tell us how nostalgiac and out of touch we are.

I nominate 1973. Peter Revson gets his two wins, Denny Hulme gets one. Fittipaldi and Peterson battle for supremacy at Lotus as the Swede finally gets the ride his talents deserve. Jackie Stewart bows out at the end of the season as WDC, the undisputed Master trailed home by his students. It was a pivotal year in many ways; it was the last year that BRM was at all competitive: Reggazoni shining in Brazil and Argentina, Lauda leading his first race in Canada: Ferrari was in complete chaos, but the seeds of its success starting in '74 was set. James Hunt and Hesketh added a spirited fun to the paddock; Shadow's appearence marked the resurgence of American involvememt in the sport, Jacky Ickx suffered an uncompetitive season which would signal his decline as a force in F1, and Jackie Stewart, the last competitive link to the mid sixties would leave the sport on top, mourning the death of his protege, Francois Cevert in the final race of the seaon.
It was a season of drama, subplots, tragedy and great racing.
Old 4 Oct 2000, 12:36 (Ref:40983)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Oh the wonder of youth...

My classic year wouldn't strain the inner-workings of the machine much as I'd ask to go back to 1999.

Why?

2 wins for Frentzen in the Jordan, Damon leading for a lap at the British GP, Irvine winning in Melbourne after I predicted he would, and then going on to show us all how good he really can be, Mika Salo getting the chance he has always deserved, plus the greatest F1 race ever at the Nurburgring - and perhaps most importantly...

THE POINT.

1999 was a classic - down to the wire, with surprise victories, and the little teams getting a chance to mix it with the big boys. Who couldn't fail to be moved to tears when Herbert won and Gene scored the point, or when Frentzen won by surprise at France?

1999 was for me a brilliant season, and is the reason why 2000 has been pretty mediocre in comparison.
Old 4 Oct 2000, 14:08 (Ref:41000)   #7
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
95 of course.
Old 4 Oct 2000, 14:45 (Ref:41007)   #8
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of sixties. I love these cars and like to watch them in racing. Old circuits, real fight, fair play. It sounds like music. It was before my birth, and I like to see.
Old 4 Oct 2000, 22:39 (Ref:41091)   #9
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was wondering if my alltime classic season would be 1973 or 1999: "and the winner is... 1973".

It was the first time I saw F1 live -at the wonderful Montjuïc circuit-, there were a lot of G.P. winners, my childhood hero won the WDC putting a stunning performance at Monza, the Nürburgring was still the real Nürburgring, while the same statement can be said of Spa, the likes of Ronnie Peterson, Jacky Ickx and François Cevert were in the tracks... and in my list of alltime greats. David Purley gave us a lesson of bravery in his vain effort in the fatal crash of Roger Williamson.

Alas, when the Stewart's relay in Tyrrell seemed ready, the tragedy arrived on 10-6-1973... it was the dark side of the year alongside the death of Roger Williamson.
Old 5 Oct 2000, 01:18 (Ref:41123)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1982. Then I would go to a certain race and send word to Didier Pironi that he was urgently wanted in Bernie's Motorhome - and I'd shove him into that Time Machine, set the lever to 1997, and ... go out to cheer Gilles on to victory unimpeded by any egomaniacal teammates .. and I would remain to cheer Gilles on to a WDC and a long and successful racing career.

In the winter I'd head over to the Olympics to cheer Jacques on to another of his many Olympic Golds for the Canadian ski racing team. And I might wonder now and then what he'd have been like in a race car ...

And I would have the advantage of being 34 years old and seeing Prost rise once again through the field to dominate the world.

Old 5 Oct 2000, 05:41 (Ref:41152)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Greatest memory in time

Year 2000
Event 1500m
Winner Grant Hacket
Highlight After the medal presentation when Grant went up to hug his parents and handed them the flowers and Michael Klim's wombat.

In years to come, if ever I was to think back in time, and search for a moment that gave me the greatest joy, I would, without doubt, remember that moment.

This would even surpass any joy I might feel if Minardi won at Suzuka this weekend.

Old 5 Oct 2000, 05:46 (Ref:41154)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
If only I could

I would go back in time to that fateful year at Imola, I would walk up to Ayerton Senna, and I would hit his leg with an iron pipe filled with lead, and break his leg.
Old 5 Oct 2000, 18:32 (Ref:41286)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve, I wish the same...
Old 5 Oct 2000, 20:48 (Ref:41319)   #14
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

1967 - 1971

Pick any of 5, 67 would be the best as then you could see all 5 seasons.

Why ?
J Clark - Lotus V8 Cossie start of a legend
G Hill
J Rindt
D Gurney - Eagle no need to say no more
B McLaren
C Amon - Ferrari V12 screamer
L Bandini
P Rodriguez
J Ickx
J Brabham - Brabham
D Hulme
Frank Williams just starting out
and so so many more.

Advertising was a small petrol / oil / tyre logo only (apart from JP Gold Leaf Lotus)
Bernie who ???? (Need to get pitpass sorted)
Motor home was a caravan
Catch fence was made of straw
Monza, Spa, Nurenburg Silverstone were circuits
Oh plus Rouen & Watkins Glen
Minus point would be the dangers and the sad loss of so many great drivers

Things then started to decline with the high wings.

But those years would my wish....

(Oh and Tim, Bently four & halfs for a couple of grand each)

SL

Old 6 Oct 2000, 08:05 (Ref:41399)   #15
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been thinking about this for a while, and being the decisive chap I am I can't choose only one.

'57 - Ferrari, Maserati and Vanwall all competetive. Fangio at the Nurburgring.

'67 - For reasons mentioned above.

'73 - For reasons mentioned above and the chance to see Petersen through the original Woodcote at Silverstone.

'85 - A very competetive year with unlimited turbo's in qualifying (Yeeha!)

2001 - 'Cos I'm still adicted and you always think next year is going to be even better...

Old 6 Oct 2000, 11:57 (Ref:41435)   #16
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any of those above, along with '77 to relive the excitement I felt as a child watching my first grands prix (limited though they were). 1981 to watch those Villeneuve wins again - absolute class.
Overall fave year -1967 - 16cyl BRM, Ford-Cosworth, Honda v12, Ferrari v12, Amon, Bandini(briefly, unfortunately), Clark, Hill, Hulme, Brabham, Rindt, Rodriguez, Nurburgring, Spa, Monza, Watkins Glen, no wings, skinny tyres....
The list of reasons is almost endless. Pity no Matra V12 though....Hmmm I'd have to pop off to '68 first, cram a Matra in there, drop off completed Matra in Matra's '67 workshop and hope they turn up with it...
Old 6 Oct 2000, 12:41 (Ref:41441)   #17
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it is hard to pick a all time favourite.

From the 1990's it would have to be 1997. The tension at Jerez was amazing it brought me back to Suzuka 1989 and 1990!

From the 80's it would have to be 82 for Villeneuve's drives at Jarama and Monaco.

From the 70's I loved 1979.. Villeneuve and Arnoux at Dijon.

The 60's are too far back for me to remember! But from what I have read I would have loved to have seen Honda's first dabblings in Formula 1.

Tris
Old 6 Oct 2000, 22:12 (Ref:41522)   #18
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tris

From the 80's it would have to be 82 for Villeneuve's drives at Jarama and Monaco.

I think you have mixed up the years. You must mean 81.

Damn! I wish I had been watching back then...