Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Apr 2001, 16:33 (Ref:79521)   #1
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After some hopefull looking pre-season test times, and a lovely looking car, Prost has disappointed all the believers, and is well on its way to a severly losing season...
They have all of maybe 2 or 3 sponsors, yet have to shell out loads of money for year-old Ferrari engines, and their one good driver, Jean Alesi, will probably retire at the end of the season, so my question is, Whither the future for Prost???

I will reiterate my belief that Prost will linger on a few years, before VW buys the team, and transforms it into either Bugatti, or Lamborghini... (probably Bugatti though) Any thoughts, or ideas??
Old 11 Apr 2001, 17:35 (Ref:79548)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i said a squillion billion times, the test car was underweight. A blatent attempt at getting sponsorship for the car (that didn't work as it did for Arrows the year before).

The big concern is that Sauber are doing so well ON A SIMILAR BUDGET. The 2001 Prost is just as big a pig as last years except at least it has the advantage of reliability. A poor show given the cracking engine.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 22:17 (Ref:79656)   #3
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It makes me wonder once more why Ferrari didn't give Minardi the other customer engines for this year - scared of the competition perhaps? Prost seriously need to work on that chassis, which must have serious problems given it has Jean Alesi at the wheel and a Ferrari engine sitting in the back of it.
Old 11 Apr 2001, 23:37 (Ref:79689)   #4
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I absolutely agree with Minardi Fan. Minardi should have been given the Ferrari engines, not Prost. Their chassis is far superior to the Prost, they could be fighting it out with Sauber right now. Why is Alain not getting much support from French companies? Its too bad the current Renault 111 degree motor is a current dud, as French power could help his money troubles, with more French sponsorship.
It all comes down to $$$$. Having a mediocre driver like Mazza doesn't help either.
Old 12 Apr 2001, 01:29 (Ref:79708)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
It makes me wonder once more why Ferrari didn't give Minardi the other customer engines for this year - scared of the competition perhaps? Prost seriously need to work on that chassis, which must have serious problems given it has Jean Alesi at the wheel and a Ferrari engine sitting in the back of it.
MF, that's because nobody was listening to us!! As for the chassis, it is also apparent this year that the aerodynamics has changed markedly owing to the height restrictions on the front wing, which then affects tyre wear. I think that a helluva lot more work needs to be done in the wind tunnel, or just copy the Ferrari front wing.
As for the Renault engine, I still maintain that by mid year, Renault will have that engine operating properly, and then we will all regret that Paul hasn't hit on the idea of negotiating for the Renault engine now. As for Prost and a French engine, I think that there was too much ire thrown at Peugeot last year, and Prost might have done his dash with the French. I also wondered why he did not go with Renault from the word go, as he is surely the geatest French GP driver in the history of F1, and that must mean something to France.
Old 12 Apr 2001, 11:16 (Ref:79780)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Niki Lauda, that famous pitlane gossip, there were Issues with Renault when Prost made his precipitous exit from the team to take up with Williams. (Renault, says Niki, paid Williams to take him due to these Issues.)

I have heard no more about Rico taking a drive at Prost and I hope that rumour has now gone away.
Old 12 Apr 2001, 14:12 (Ref:79816)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr. Bounce - both Paul Stoddart and Tom Walkinshaw have been in talks with Renault for some considerable time to get Nissan-badged engines for 2002.