Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 29 May 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3081202)   #1
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ear Protection and Radio

I need some advice, due to the absence of Fanvision (again) this year I need a headset to listen to RLM. I am confused with the SNR values. What value do I need to be able to listen to RLM and don't miss anything about what is going on on the track. Anyone out there with field experience who can give me advice about what to buy.
I will give feedback after the 24, it was hard for me to find good info on the forum hope this thread will help others in the future to.
Old 29 May 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3081207)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The broadcast frequency will be 91.2 FM

Can't advise on noise protectors as I just use squidgy in-the-ear ones that do a good job of blocking most of the external noise.
Old 29 May 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3081306)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
most people have one ear listening to the radio and one listen to the sounds of the cars that way you get the best of both and if something happens that needs more intense listening put the other plug in
Old 29 May 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3081345)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As I've said a number of trimes here and there, I use these.....

http://www.elvex.com/quietunes.htm
Old 29 May 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3081382)   #5
Bluarmy
Rookie

England
Birmingham UK
Bluarmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those look great Ayse, must say I'm a tad jealous, but at the other end of the market...
I use a pair of 'in ear' earphones and the FM radio on my mp3 player to listen to RLM and a cheap pair of ear defenders as used on construction sites to block out some of the external sound.

Yes I'm a cheapskate but it works for me.
Old 29 May 2012, 19:22 (Ref:3081389)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Elvex headphones aren't cheap and I thought long and hard about them before investing. It helped that they were recommended by tonypowe. Having bought them and used them at Silverstone LMS twice and Le Mans last year, I have no doubts at all - I wish I'd had them years ago.

But your cheaper solution sounds pretty good too!
Old 29 May 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3081489)   #7
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
As I've said a number of trimes here and there, I use these.....

http://www.elvex.com/quietunes.htm
I use the equivalent Peltor Worktunes, available from fleabay. Saves your ears, allows you to communicate with others, and lets you turn down Hindy when he's at his loudest!!!!!!
Old 30 May 2012, 02:21 (Ref:3081586)   #8
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluarmy View Post
I use a pair of 'in ear' earphones and the FM radio on my mp3 player to listen to RLM and a cheap pair of ear defenders as used on construction sites to block out some of the external sound.

Yes I'm a cheapskate but it works for me.
I do the same it it works fine
Old 30 May 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3081738)   #9
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The Elvex headphones aren't cheap and I thought long and hard about them before investing. It helped that they were recommended by tonypowe. Having bought them and used them at Silverstone LMS twice and Le Mans last year, I have no doubts at all - I wish I'd had them years ago.

But your cheaper solution sounds pretty good too!
I would like to know just how much noise reduction I need when sitting on a grandstand.
What SNR value has the protection you all are using. (24, 27, 30 or more?)
Cheap way sound good to, but also have to buy a radio, so I will buy a headset including a radio.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3081744)   #10
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a first-timers perspective I kind of figured I'd finish the race with a banging headache last year. I watched the race with a couple of earbud headphones for RLM and was fine.
Old 30 May 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3081932)   #11
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I plug Skull Candy buds into an RLM radio. Sorted, done, dusted.
Total investment, around 15-20 euro.

Never had issues with hearing, but then mines been shot for over 30 years. I blame AC/DC!
Old 30 May 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3082053)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
I would like to know just how much noise reduction I need when sitting on a grandstand.
What SNR value has the protection you all are using. (24, 27, 30 or more?)
Cheap way sound good to, but also have to buy a radio, so I will buy a headset including a radio.
No idea about SNR. Perhaps the blurb on the website would say. All I can say is that the sound deadening is very substantial.

PS - Just checked the product specifics - 27.
Old 30 May 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3082095)   #13
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
I've just ordered a pair of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3307303915...84.m1439.l2649
Cheap enough to chuck if they don't work. Claimed SNR >85db.

Doubt they'll arrive in time for Sunday's testing.

Last edited by Kpy; 30 May 2012 at 20:08. Reason: addition
Old 31 May 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3082712)   #14
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
I've just ordered a pair of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3307303915...84.m1439.l2649
Cheap enough to chuck if they don't work. Claimed SNR >85db.

Doubt they'll arrive in time for Sunday's testing.
I am affraid your SNR is not correct, it sounds like the maximum decibel from the radio. Hopefully you also bought something with noisereduction. Let me know.
Lucky you, going to the testday, have fun.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3087033)   #15
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland

Today I bought a Peltor HRXS7A-01, SNR value 32. Will give a review after the 24.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 18:35 (Ref:3087043)   #16
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And i the Bullock FM/AM Radio set.
It seems very good for speech radio. And it blocked 100% of my nagging girlfriend!
Old 7 Jun 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3087058)   #17
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
I am affraid your SNR is not correct, it sounds like the maximum decibel from the radio. Hopefully you also bought something with noisereduction. Let me know.
Lucky you, going to the testday, have fun.
Don't know don't care really. If it works it works, if it doesn't I'll bin it and use my Sony MP3 player(s) - 30 hours each, so one will always be on charge.

Yes, test day was fun, thanks.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3098028)   #18
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
as promised my revieuw, the peltor I bought did its job very well. I noticed Radio LM had a weaker signal I had to turn up the volume to the highest level. Sometimes the signal from the French took over and I had to adjust Radio LM. This was especially the case sitting on the grandstand. With the cars passing by I could understand every word on the radio except at the start (sitting on the grandstand). Every other place was perfect. When you buy one you definatly need a SNR value of 32. Buy one it will make your weekend even better.Thank you guys at Radio LM it was a good show. RLM rocks.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 04:40 (Ref:3098189)   #19
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Funny you experinced that you needed that SNL value as i "downgraded" to a cheap eBay pocket-radio and used my Denon c560R in-ear headphones. This gave me protection enough to clearly hear RLM and still experince the awesome sounds .

But your experinces with the RLM signal i agree completely on. It was deeply frustrating, especially under the qualifying seasions. They should make the signal stronger.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3098310)   #20
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I think the LM24 multi lingual commentary SWAMPED the RLM signal at times. RLM were on 91.2, LM on 91.5. And we had Radio Local in the mix too...
I only really noticed RLM drop out in fron of the pits. Everywhere else, they seemed fine. And I had Skull Candy in ears, plugged into an RLM radio.
Seeing as everyone else wants to talk gear!
Old 26 Jun 2012, 10:49 (Ref:3098326)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had problems with RLM being swamped in a number of locations. In our grandstand opposite the pits the signal was very sensitive to head movement at times......3 different stations to choose from, all adjusted by moving my head up, down, or side to side. Spent long(ish) spells resorting to the French commentary, due to the better reception. Experienced similar problems at Arnage and Mulsanne.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3098391)   #22
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My iPod has a built-in FM receiver and I only had issues down at Arnage.

No head movement issues here. I just thought you were stretching your neck or standing in a funny position.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3098397)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Much the same for me as James. Mulsanne was particularly bad, but then it always is. I've always put it down to the Bally great pylon there! I thought the volume from RLM was variable too. On one occasion it dropped very low for about 15 minutes. Otherwise, my Quietunes were superb throughout practice and race
Old 26 Jun 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3098432)   #24
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Glad it wasn't just me having signal issues. Still need to invest in something a bit better radio-wise next year.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3098452)   #25
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now that I think about it, I think Ayse's right...it was down at Mulsanne I was having signal issues.