Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2020 VASC Series?
#25 WAU - Chaz Mostert - Commodore 1 2.04%
#4 JSR - Jack Smith - Commodore 1 2.04%
#5 Tickford - Lee Holdsworth - Mustang 0 0%
#6 Tickford - Cam Waters - Mustang 2 4.08%
#7 KR - Andre Heimgartner - Mustang 0 0%
#8 BJR - Nick Percat - Commodore 0 0%
#9 Erebus - David Reynolds - Commodore 0 0%
#12 DJRTP - Fabian Coulthard - Mustang 0 0%
#14 BJR - Todd Hazelwood - Commodore 0 0%
#15 KR - Rick Kelly - Mustang 0 0%
#17 DJRTP - Scott McLaughlin - Mustang 25 51.02%
#18 Team18 - Mark Winterbottom - Commodore 0 0%
#19 Team Sydney - James Courtney - Commodore 1 2.04%
#3 TBR - Macauley Jones - Commodore 1 2.04%
#2 WAU - Bryce Fullwood - Commodore 0 0%
#23 23Red - Will Davison - Mustang 0 0%
#34 MSR - Zane Goddard/Jake Kostecki - Commodore 1 2.04%
#35 MSR - Garry Jacobson - Commodore 0 0%
#55 Tickford - Jack Le Brocq - Mustang 0 0%
#20 Team18 - Scott Pye - Commodore 0 0%
#88 RBHRT - Jamie Whincup - Commodore 5 10.20%
#22 Team Sydney - Chris Pither - Commodore 0 0%
#97 RBHRT - Shane Van Gisbergen - Commodore 12 24.49%
#99 Erebus - Anton de Pasquale - Commodore 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Oct 2019, 02:24 (Ref:3934237)   #476
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Be cheaper just to buy two of the gun uprights from 888 for Gary's cars
Old 14 Oct 2019, 02:25 (Ref:3934238)   #477
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Except they won't sell you their latest version...
Old 14 Oct 2019, 03:19 (Ref:3934248)   #478
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Except they won't sell you their latest version...
Dont they have to?
Old 14 Oct 2019, 03:43 (Ref:3934251)   #479
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No. There's no obligation to do that.

The smart thing for GRM to do, is to apply to be the control upright supplier...
Old 14 Oct 2019, 04:29 (Ref:3934265)   #480
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Be cheaper just to buy two of the gun uprights from 888 for Gary's cars
But you need more than two uprights and wishbones per entry... You need at least four per entry (one set of spares) and ideally probably a third set... So make that $150,000 per entry for three sets per entry.

But then 888 are inclined to go and change the design again, and leave you behind.

And 888 are doing such good business they have rather long lead times on these parts...

I'm sure Mr. Holloway is more than capable of designing his own. Kingpin, caster, pickup points et cetera --- how hard can it be!?

Like I said before, split A-arm designs with double ball joints like on road going Alfas, Volvos, BMWs and Audis are not even allowed. It's a simple design with two wishbones -- the very Project Blueprint double wishbone design derives from the Australian Ford Falcon carrying on the double wishbone front end from 1960's Ford USA products for crying out loud. It shouldn't be that complicated...
Old 14 Oct 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3934466)   #481
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Oct 2019, 01:33 (Ref:3934488)   #482
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So someone is willing to fund development of a (significant) control component. Said component will -

*Lower costs

*Increase parity

*Give Boost kn**h**d one less thing to sook about

Official response? Two middle fingers

I get sticking it to Boost boi, I really do, but other than spite, why say no? I really don't see the downside.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 02:25 (Ref:3934496)   #483
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
KR Confirms 2 cars in 2020

Last edited by GTRMagic; 15 Oct 2019 at 07:03.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 02:32 (Ref:3934500)   #484
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
*Lower costs
*Increase parity
*Give Boost kn**h**d one less thing to sook about

Official response? Two middle fingers
Brakes and transaxle were meant to do the above but didn't.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 03:13 (Ref:3934509)   #485
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welp, with Kelly Racing now becoming a Ford team, we've lost all new manufacturers, which was the main goal to go from Project Blueprint to Car Of The Future/New Generation/Gen2 cars. How does Supercars feel now?
Old 15 Oct 2019, 03:25 (Ref:3934510)   #486
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Welp, with Kelly Racing now becoming a Ford team, we've lost all new manufacturers, which was the main goal to go from Project Blueprint to Car Of The Future/New Generation/Gen2 cars. How does Supercars feel now?
People like to blame the rules for Nissan's lack of success, but I would like to ask the question, if we had 4 new manufacturers tomorrow with a $10m budget for the first year (which isn't enough either), which teams would be able to take them to the front?

Erebus couldn't
WAU solid maybe
I doubt GRM as it stands could do it
Kellys proved they don't have what it takes

Frankly I think Tickford should count themselves lucky they are on the Penske train.

The other thing with Kellys running Mustangs is that nobody has been successful with a, customer car from Tickford or DJRTP.

Say what you will about 888 but their customer cars have won races, championships and Bathurst.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 03:26 (Ref:3934511)   #487
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
To be fair, I don't really think you can blame Supercars in this instance - Motorsports in general is at somewhat of a crossroads at the moment. I don't think anybody really knows what to do moving forward.

Reduce costs?

Road relevance?

Go green?
Old 15 Oct 2019, 03:42 (Ref:3934514)   #488
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Say what you will about 888 but their customer cars have won races, championships and Bathurst.
They would want to, as selling customer cars is part of 888's business model.

It is not part of Penske's, so any sort of comparison between the two is irrelevant.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 04:04 (Ref:3934517)   #489
Mixer
Veteran

So good luck to the Kelly's running customer cars from teams that have no interest in it...
Old 15 Oct 2019, 04:28 (Ref:3934518)   #490
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Kelly situation has all sorts of things going on.

If we are to believe your previous posts about their operational abilities, they'd apparently be unable to get a current-spec DJRTP car running properly, even if it was handed to them on a silver plate.

However they no doubt went into the deal with their eyes open, would have looked at the other option (eg Team 18), and decided to go with the more successful marque, despite there not being many customer car options available.

Last edited by Forda; 15 Oct 2019 at 04:33.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 04:39 (Ref:3934520)   #491
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where has it been said the Kelly's are running customer cars?

As far as I'm aware there is no closed shop 888/Holden type deal with Ford.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Oct 2019, 04:40 (Ref:3934521)   #492
Mixer
Veteran

Your obsession with Team 18 is laughable.

DJR won the championship in a 888 car.

Tekno and SVG won races and got close to the championship in a 888 car.

Tekno also won Bathurst in a 888 car.

Anybody who took any car and didn't update it is going go backwards. Tekno went from contending for the championship and winning Bathurst to banging around with the Kelly's and Lee Holdsworth by not keeping the car up to date.

Team 18 btw finished Bathurst ahead of all the Tickford cars.

The Kelly's didn't win **** in Commodores, they didn't win **** in Nissans, so I see no reason to think they will suddenly win in Mustangs.

Heimgartner showed his promise yesterday but bit a wall that has bit a few over the years.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 05:30 (Ref:3934533)   #493
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So good luck to the Kelly's running customer cars from teams that have no interest in it...
Kelly Racing are not running customer cars, they are running their own cars.

The rumour is a purchase of old SBR engine stock for the engine shop (can easily be fettled with the current-spec control camshaft, control rocker and so on to produce the 2020-specification 635 bhp). The cast iron Windsor blocks are pretty much indestructible, while the Yates racing cylinder heads are readily available if Kelly Racing need any new ones or want to develop different porting than what the SBR engines have.

https://www.sriperformance.com/cylin...-81269-peg.htm

Other mechanical components on the vehicle remain Kelly Racing as they are currently running.

Quote:
Your obsession with Team 18 is laughable.
?????

What's that got to do with Kelly Racing and their solid if not exceptional engineering abilities!?

Teams like Team 18 and Tekno have pretty much no engineering or fabrication capability at all which is their own choice, and a legitimate way to go motor racing.

Quote:
The Kelly's didn't win **** in Commodores, they didn't win **** in Nissans, so I see no reason to think they will suddenly win in Mustangs.
???

That's a first place trophy for a Jack Daniel's Commodore there.

Given the apparently modest budget used to operate the Kelly Racing entries, they have done more than OK with solid top ten pace, and keeping a full staff roster continually employed for the prerequisite "jobs and growth".

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 15 Oct 2019 at 05:44.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 06:34 (Ref:3934559)   #494
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two of the current Altimas are likely to be fielded by Kelly Racing in the Dunlop Super2 Series as part of the move, while an in-house engine program is underway for its Mustangs.

sounds like 2 Altimas will become Mustangs
Old 15 Oct 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3934604)   #495
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
KR Mustang Confirmed
Old 15 Oct 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3934605)   #496
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So after 7 years of being told how new manufacturers entering was the future of the series and needing to look beyond ford vs Holden...... we go into 2020 with just ford and Holden on the grid

Confirms COTF as a complete failure?

Didn’t cut costs and ultimately didn’t keep the outside manufacturers interested

Can we lose the fuel drop and minimum compulsory pit stops at Bathurst next year now?
Old 15 Oct 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3934610)   #497
Umai Naa
Veteran

They'll roll into Super2 next year, and get smashed by MWM with their own cars.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3934617)   #498
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Can we lose the fuel drop and minimum compulsory pit stops at Bathurst next year now?
Amen to that!!!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 15 Oct 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3934753)   #499
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Confirms COTF as a complete failure?

Didn’t cut costs and ultimately didn’t keep the outside manufacturers interested

Not a complete failure as the COTF stepped forward safety in particular but although two other manufacturers joined the series, they ultimately didn't stay long-term. Don't know that COTF can itself be blamed for that however. Certainly the COTF has resulted in much more expensive cars to build, more expensive and time-consuming to maintain as well - hasn't delivered at all in that respect and I don't think that "failure" is being too harsh in that respect.

Would be good to wave good-bye to the fuel drop - was only brought in due to the Nissan engine "performance" from memory so not needed now.

The compulsory pit stops at Bathurst were in place long before COTF - in fact before Project Blueprint so I don't see them going away simply because we're back to Ford & Holden only.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 21:39 (Ref:3934795)   #500
Mixer
Veteran

3 new car brands joined the series.

7 years a failure?

Outlived Group A, Super Touring....