Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1245353)   #26
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
-

Last edited by Dutton; 7 Mar 2005 at 09:25.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1245358)   #27
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
I don't think I was that far out, in fairness (not that I expect anybody to be fair to me!)

Last edited by Dutton; 7 Mar 2005 at 09:30.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1245390)   #28
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Qualifying around the 10th-12th mark with a run through to 7th/8th in the race, behind Renault, McLaren and Ferrari.
I fully agree. Just look at the fastest laps in the race and the potential of each team is pretty clear.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1245392)   #29
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Pace in Melbourne does not automatically translate into the same relative pace in Malaysia..........

Last edited by Dutton; 7 Mar 2005 at 10:06.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1245460)   #30
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True - but we can reasonably assume those three teams will be quick everywhere.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1245543)   #31
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was good to see DC looking far more relaxed and human than the corporate robot that seemed to be while working for the Macs. I had thought that he would enjoy this season more than he had the last couple but I was thinking more of the atmosphere than for posting good results from the off. Very well done to all at RBR as well as both their drivers for being consistent and reliable enough to make the best of the admittedly jumbled grid.

I agree that they will probably run mid-field from here on (weather permitting!) but there's every chance that they will be able to grab more points as the season progresses.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1245778)   #32
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely a good start to the season! Hopefully, they will continue to be competitive through the rest of the season -- but only time will tell. It would be nice if the Cosworth engine was good enough that RBR sticks with it over the long haul. Of course, that also remains to be seen.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1245798)   #33
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think d.c was brillant those who say it was a fluke watch the race again he was awrsome maybe red bull wont get many points but that has to go down as his best drive it reminds me of damon hill in the arrows in hungary
Old 7 Mar 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1245805)   #34
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont get me wrong it was a good perfomance but unfortunatly i doubt they well remain in that half of the grid,
Old 7 Mar 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1245825)   #35
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another point that no one has mentioned yet is that the Cosworths looked quiet fast. The end of straight speeds were impressive and the potent BMWs did not look to have a substantial advantage. Straight line speeds alone don't mean that much as we've seen with teams like Toyota and Sauber in the past, but they had the lap times to back it up. I really think that Cosworth's independance could be a great thing for the independant teams. Imagine if Red Bull, Sauber, Midland-Jordan, Minardi and potentially team Dubai pooled their money to buy from Cosworth. Cosworth would have a LOT more R&D money and ensure that these teams weren't stuck with 'B' engines.

For the next race I'd make a similar prediction to Kicking-back, 7-8th finish, but I think they'll get a car to 9-10th in qualifying. If Red Bull can be consistant and not make mistakes, they will capitalize on the mistakes of those in the bigger teams and be able to use their speed to get the results. Renault, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams are faster than Red Bull at the moment. BAR and Toyota look to be fairly similar.

I'm not quiet ready to eat pie on DC. I think his experience helped the team, but no one was really putting in fast laps and in the past that's been DC's past downfall.

Last edited by Snrub; 7 Mar 2005 at 18:06.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1245845)   #36
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At present I can see DC being able to qualify top 8 on merit a few times, probably usually around 12th, with Klien a couple of places behind. As long as their reliability is average or better, than should translate into several minor points placings, although I agree that by mid-season Toyota and perhaps Sauber will have shuffled them down the order (although by that time the top teams will probably have ironed out any performance or reliaility gremlins, so there'd be less points on the shelf anyway).
Old 7 Mar 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1246100)   #37
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but I think those 7 points will really come in handy now. In more "normal" races it will be very hard to get points with all the bigger teams filling those slots. I think that by the end of the season those 7 points will put Red Bull above Sauber in the pecking order
Old 7 Mar 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1246133)   #38
billiaml
Racer

United States
That would be nice to see

Last edited by billiaml; 7 Mar 2005 at 22:23.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 01:37 (Ref:1246270)   #39
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone noticed that RBR have done in their first race that Jag couldn't do in 5 yrs-achieve a double points finish!
Old 8 Mar 2005, 02:12 (Ref:1246284)   #40
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They can thank Jag for that!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Mar 2005, 02:46 (Ref:1246297)   #41
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does show what Jag could have done with a more efficent and effective structure.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 03:10 (Ref:1246307)   #42
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Like Fisi, DC was flattered by quals. Also like Fisi, he drove a great race to consolidate the starting position into a much needed result.

I was very impressed by both DC and Redbull this weekend. I wont be bagging Jag though, as they did design this car (and if it were a dog, many would already have made that connection).

These guys could be in the hunt for best of the rest IMO, and I wont be suprised to see a fiesty DC sticking it to the top lads a fair bit. That car had some pace, on a few laps he was able to pull away from Webber so it is'nt a slug.

Well done guys, more to come I hope.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1246314)   #43
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a former Jag supporter I feel somewhat vindicated by RBR's performance. In a way by default I find myself cheering on RBR as well. I don't think there are any illusions as to their ultimate pace but the one thing that the team has improved on from last season's car is their consistency. Last years Jag liked to eat it's tires. Both of the Bull's maintained their pace throughout the race which is a good sign. Here's hoping the Red Bull team can do what Ford refused to do and develop the car's potential.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 9 Mar 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1247317)   #44
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to "Motorsport Aktuell" RBR will get Honda engines from 2006
Old 9 Mar 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1247921)   #45
JV_11
Rookie

JV_11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi
I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but I think those 7 points will really come in handy now. In more "normal" races it will be very hard to get points with all the bigger teams filling those slots. I think that by the end of the season those 7 points will put Red Bull above Sauber in the pecking order
There's still 18 races left but what you said is very true.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1247938)   #46
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
Being a former Jag supporter I feel somewhat vindicated by RBR's performance. Here's hoping the Red Bull team can do what Ford refused to do and develop the car's potential.
According to Ron's post race comments he wasn't surprised by its pace. He said that it was being developed since May last year...which even with a couple of months down time due to the buy out, means that development was on par with the heavy hitters (FIAT EXCEPTED!)

Ford had the decency to further develop the basis of a good car (the R5) so that whoever bought it could benefit from it now BEING a good car. With the extra dough being chucked at it (almost double that of Ford apparently) it might possibly stick close to the pace all season

Yep, on board cameras showed clearly that DC was going away from Webbo down the straight, but it did appear that he was slower in the twisty stuff.

Malaysia will be interesting....Melbourne lap times showed it's a second off...but a second off what? Alonso's pace? What is the ultimate pace though as many people only were quick in spurts as ooposed to whole race?

This RBR is very interesting indeed!

Oh and is it just me or in nose shape and colour scheme doesn't it look just like the '96 or '97 Saubers?!
Old 9 Mar 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1247940)   #47
billiaml
Racer

United States
speedtv.com also reported RBR's pending switch to Honda power for '06. Being a Cosworth fan, I'm disappointed but, at the same time, they'll reportedly be saving @ $10 million per year so I can see why they're doing it.
Old 11 Mar 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1249327)   #48
Setantra
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Setantra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair play to them. Christian Horner deserves all the credit. But lets see how they fair in Malaysia
Old 11 Mar 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1249331)   #49
Setantra
Rookie

Ireland
Dublin
Setantra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Oh and is it just me or in nose shape and colour scheme doesn't it look just like the '96 or '97 Saubers?!
I agree. It does when you squint your eyes a bit.