Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Who will win this year's 6 Heures du Spa-Francorchamps?
Audi 25 29.07%
Toyota 42 48.84%
Porsche 13 15.12%
Rebellion 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 May 2014, 11:10 (Ref:3404883)   #646
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
And the last one is the six-hour format. Why on earth they can't have different race distances like 9 hours or 3 hours or races with a certain distance?
When you create something to market you have to make sure it's recognisable. Having races with then 3 hours then 6 then 9 then 13,5 just doesn't make any sense unless it has historic value. (I would love to see sebring on the calendar with it's 12 hour race). Races with a certain distance are not easy to fit into a tv schedule. If the Spa race was 1000 km's it would have ended in 4,5 hours. If it had rained it might have lasted for 8.
I really don't agree with this! I think a big part of what makes sportscar racing so great is the variety in tracks, cars, race lenght etc. and I think the WEC should take a lot more advantage of this.

As for historic value, since Le Mans is the only stand out race of the WEC season and Sebring, Petit and Daytona looking very unlikely to ever feature in the calendar they need to create their own classics.
Old 11 May 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3404910)   #647
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB
When you create something to market you have to make sure it's recognisable. Having races with then 3 hours then 6 then 9 then 13,5 just doesn't make any sense unless it has historic value. (I would love to see sebring on the calendar with it's 12 hour race). Races with a certain distance are not easy to fit into a tv schedule. If the Spa race was 1000 km's it would have ended in 4,5 hours. If it had rained it might have lasted for 8.
No it wouldn't because the format was 1000km or 6 Hours, whichever came first. Usually took little over 5 hours.

Old WSC had plenty of variety in format, ranging from short sprints to proper endurances. They certainly had no problem with it. The standardized 6 hour length is also pointless in a sense that these cars are all so reliable nowadays that the distance feels just unnecessary. It's not real real endurance like 10 or 12 or 24 pr whatever, just something in between. 500km/3h would be perfectly fine for regular rounds. Easier for the much stressed "TV package" as well.

I think that the 2010 Paul Ricard 8 Hours has been the only ACO sanctioned race for a veeeeeeery long time that had different distance than all the rest of the races that season (if you don't count Le Mans and IMSA-relied ILMC/WEC Sebring and PLM). Otherwise they just always put the same boring distance for all the races

ALMS was awesome in this respect. 100 minutes, 2h, 2h45min, 4h, 6h, 10h/1000miles, 12h. They showed you don't need to scretch these races for no reason, except when it really mattered in the longer events. Made them stand out more. Also easier to have joint weekends with other series like IndyCar etc.

Having shorter races would be one further reason to can the stupid WEC title in favour of WSC. Yes I did thought that WEC was misleading back in the day too, pretty much anything is better than that. Also Endurance says absolutely nothing to common folk (trust me nobody gets it when I've attempted to explain it) but World Sportscar Championship does.

Also
FIA WORLD ENDURANCE CHAMPIONSHIP
FIM WORLD ENDURANCE CHAMPIONSHIP
It does have a similar ring to it, dont ya think.

I believe it was deggis who said that they originally probably decided to go with WEC because Ratel's GTWC was still around back then - you know to avoid confusion - but that is gone now so they could easily revert to WSC.

Last edited by Chiana; 11 May 2014 at 12:28.
Old 12 May 2014, 11:47 (Ref:3405325)   #648
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched the highlights show last night. I didn't find this race as interesting as Silverstone, although I was particularly tired and doing the nodding dog bit a one point, so possible not in the best frame of mind. Still enjoyable though and still intrigued to watch more.
Old 12 May 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3405362)   #649
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I think that the 2010 Paul Ricard 8 Hours has been the only ACO sanctioned race for a veeeeeeery long time that had different distance than all the rest of the races that season (if you don't count Le Mans and IMSA-relied ILMC/WEC Sebring and PLM). Otherwise they just always put the same boring distance for all the races
Le Mans Series Mil Milhas Brasil 2007 was 1000 miles.
Old 12 May 2014, 13:18 (Ref:3405373)   #650
Chiana
Veteran

Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Le Mans Series Mil Milhas Brasil 2007 was 1000 miles.
True! Also Zhuhai 2010 was 6 hours (back then they were still 1000kms) but that was probably used as precursor to 2011. And AsLMS 2009 Okayama was 500+500(=1000km) but that was one-off weekend.

Anyway they are still sole exceptions in the sea of standardized formats.