Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 23 Apr 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2868642)   #1
Bocoon
Rookie

Bocoon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 Changes I'd make.

I think Nascar should limit the number of cars per owner to 2. Don't allow the loopholes wherby wifes, sisters and girlfriends are listed as owners. If you want to be in Nascar, you must field two cars, like F1.

2nd, get a qualifing program that means something. I love watching, but come on, there is no excitement.

I love F1 qualifing, almost more than the race.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2868671)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Except for a few classic events like Daytona 500 and Coca Cola 600 decrease race length to around 3 hours (including 15 min pre and post race interviews).
Old 23 Apr 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2868722)   #3
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If NASCAR owners only had 2 cars, you'd end up with considerably fewer cars than we do now; Hendrick, Gibbs, Roush, Childress are key ones that spring to mind!

The main reason I personally feel for qually staying as is means that each driver has a roughly fair chance, no-one to hold them up and no-one to crash into them and stuff the whole thing up! Remember ovals are a confined place and tracks like Bristol would cause an innumerable amount of issues.

For me the change would be to use fewer safety cars at road courses; cars that pull-off or get embedded at the back of a big gravel bed require a FCY whereas most circuits I bet normally would just snatch the damn things!
Old 23 Apr 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2868772)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Give Montoya dispensation to use an engine with 100 extra horses.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2868789)   #5
Bocoon
Rookie

Bocoon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards to limiting owners to 2 car teams; I feel top sponsership would go to top teams as usual, but, with less top teams sucking up the top sponsors, the second tier teams would or could take advantage to corral sponsership. The trickle down theory. I realize this won't happen due to the weight the big teams have. Yes I understand, they have been the heart of Nascar and deserve an advantage, in their minds. But they were startup companies at one time. Make a few changes.

Wouldn,t it be great to see a couple of no name teams knock out a couple of Hendrick or Childress cars after qualifing. "Mr. Hendrick, what happened in qualifing today, with your #48 and #5 cars. Was it a case of engineering or driver error?" It would add so much pub for the sport.

1. 2 car team max.
2. Remove top 35 in points makes the race. Qualify for position/race.
3. Scrap lucky dog crap. You screw up, you pay.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2869152)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Give Montoya dispensation to use an engine with 100 extra horses.
...that way, he may actually have a chance to win on an oval.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2869287)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 24 Apr 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2869317)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's the most cliched complaint but make the cars look a bit more muscular abit like it was in the old days. They look plastic.

I'm not quite sure how you can limit to two car teams. All a big owner needs to do is get one of his mates to run another team as his puppet under the banner of another front company.

I could do without the lucky dog. The first car off the lead lap capable of annoying the leader was always interesting.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2869517)   #9
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's the most cliched complaint but make the cars look a bit more muscular abit like it was in the old days. They look plastic.
NASCAR are changing the body styles for 2013, I think the Cup cars are going to look more like the Nationwide cars in rough style!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2869561)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back to the OP, I agree the q'ing sessions are a joke. However, given a timed session, especially on the big tracks, the draft would heavily influence the top running order. Bad thing? Dunno, but I'd like to see something better and more exciting. All 43+ on track in a timed session at Bristol would be interesting.

They need to have multi-numbered teams to survive, especially right now. I do see what you are getting at, Bocoon, but I don't see how this would benefit the sport at all. And welcome!

FIRE, Shorten races? Sure, but Daytona and the 600 should NOT be the only ones to stay "full-length". Out of the 30 plus races, there should be at least 5-10 "endurance events". Shorten the Cup series by too much and what would we do with the other two lower series? Perhaps a duel race weekend that is done with many other series would work? Q'ing and a 250 on Saturday plus another one on Sunday...

Free pass/Lucky Dog should stay...once they changed to freezing the field for cautions, that eliminated the racing back to the caution and any chance of gaining a lap back. They don't show it much, but the battle for the free pass can get intense and adds a little something to the viewing pleasure, like it or not.

I'll add these:
something that we all have mentioned in just about every NASCAR discussion; have some consistency with cautions and don't be TOO quick in throwing them.

Oh yeah, bring back Rockingham and North Wilkesboro, find another high banked (or standard) SHORT track to visit and add ONE more road course; I am about mile-and-a-half-ovaled out. And the road course event should be similar to the Bathurst 1000K format - two drivers per car and change the venue every year.

Only issue with all this is NASCAR does what NASCAR wants to do; it'll stay pretty much the same.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 25 Apr 2011 at 15:14. Reason: SOP
Old 25 Apr 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2869564)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Sorry...low blow, but too easy.

Go Montana (in all seriousness).
Old 25 Apr 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2869620)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
NASCAR are changing the body styles for 2013, I think the Cup cars are going to look more like the Nationwide cars in rough style!
As in using the pony car templates/designs? That would look excellent, it might be an odd change but Mustang/Challenger/Camaro/ er - Supra? body styles would look good.

All sorts of things have been rumoured for the engines, but could downsizing be an option? You'd also create lighter cars. Something like a 4 litre blown V8 could sound quite funky, blower pressures could be tweaked instead of air restrictor plates (that in addition to an ironing board on the back?).

It's not so much a case of changing but creating, but bearing in mind the NFL's success (it wasn't as much of a failure as people thought it was until they started messing with it, and that's for another thread), could some form of NASCAR Europe developmental series work?
Old 25 Apr 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2869624)   #13
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Not sure what cars will be used, although Ford has apparently asked to use the 'Stang!

NASCAR is moving to a McLaren ECU'd injection system for 2012, no need for the restrictor plate anymore as they can force a specific output or similar on the teams to stop them drag racing at 'Dega...
Old 25 Apr 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2869716)   #14
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
a) run heat races for every race
b) more short tracks and road courses.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 03:28 (Ref:2869830)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
a) run heat races for every race
I think two "half" races is a better idea, but how would you go about doing heat races in a series that runs superspeedways? A 20 car 50 lap "A Main" at Talladega would be OK, but that wouldn't be "NASCAR", IMHO.

Love the idea, have had it myself, but never could come up with a decent format for the biggest stockcar series on the planet.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 04:02 (Ref:2869831)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I think two "half" races is a better idea, but how would you go about doing heat races in a series that runs superspeedways? A 20 car 50 lap "A Main" at Talladega would be OK, but that wouldn't be "NASCAR", IMHO.

Love the idea, have had it myself, but never could come up with a decent format for the biggest stockcar series on the planet.
they do it at Daytona for the 500 perfectly.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2870240)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
they do it at Daytona for the 500 perfectly.

I guess the 150s can be considered heat races, but that was not what I was thinking of at all. "Heat race" to me is short sprints the day/night of the race, not a q'ing races three days before the actual race.

It does work perfect at Daytona, but that's the Daytona 500, not the Chicagoland 500. And I don't see two 150 lap races Thursday night at Bristol working perfectly for anyone.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 26 Apr 2011 at 20:57. Reason: SOP
Old 26 Apr 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2870263)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Those Nationwide Cars do look a clear improvement except for the Toyota. 2013 is long time to wait though.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 02:30 (Ref:2870356)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I guess the 150s can be considered heat races, but that was not what I was thinking of at all. "Heat race" to me is short sprints the day/night of the race, not a q'ing races three days before the actual race.

It does work perfect at Daytona, but that's the Daytona 500, not the Chicagoland 500. And I don't see two 150 lap races Thursday night at Bristol working perfectly for anyone.
That's why you make them laps, not mile distance.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2870672)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
So have the 150 lap heat race included in the Bristol 500 lap race then.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 23:36 (Ref:2870966)   #21
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For me the change would be to use fewer safety cars at road courses; cars that pull-off or get embedded at the back of a big gravel bed require a FCY whereas most circuits I bet normally would just snatch the damn things!
YES!!!!

Double Waved Yellows if necessary!!!!!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 02:05 (Ref:2870987)   #22
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Races need to get shorter overall. I'm fine with some long races though. Off the top of my head:

Daytona 500
Southern 500
Firecracker 400
World 600
Talladega 500

Those can stay. Otherwise, less is more - Just over 2½ hrs should be enough. If that. Nationwide/Trucks races also get shorter.

Less ugly cars.

I'd cut down the schedule like the grim reaper. Fontana, gone. Kansas, Chicagoland & Michigan, gone. Two races for Richmond, Texas, Pocono or NH, maybe Talladega? No thanks. 28-29 races overall. Throw Rockingham in there and maybe a few other southern short tracks.

Make the points system less stupid.

No fake cautions.

No bushwacking.

No 30-laps-down paybacks.

All those things happened I would be a very happy person
Old 1 May 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2872277)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would...

...add two road courses, Road America and Montreal. In place of Bristol. Deadly serious.
...drop one race each at Kansas and Michigan, replacing them with North Wilkesboro and Rockingham.
...restrict the number of races Cup drivers can enter in the Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series.

Other than that, I dunno - I think the length of the races are fine, we'll get new body styles soon and the new points system is growing on me. I guess I'm easy to please