Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:28 (Ref:469908)   #76
Spadge Hopkins
Rookie

Spadge Hopkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Realistically 3 I think although Bill made enough chassis in period to complete 5
Old 3 Aug 2002, 00:06 (Ref:469895)   #77
tonyabacus
Rookie

tonyabacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill needham also made a single seater which was called the Coldwell Mink. The car was built for a guy called John Houghton who out up the money, however when his wife heard about how much the car cost she exclaimed that she could have bought a Mink Coat with that money and so the car was christened accordingly.
The car was front engined and built around 1963, it was designed to run either a Ford 1000cc Screamer or a BMC Formula Junior, Bill developed a unit from special parts supplied variously by Frank Williams and BMC. Story has it that there were six special cranks that were going to be tested by Bill, one of these went into the engine for the Mink. However there was a break in at his factory and the other five were stolen. The car was built to run in both F2 and F3 although I have had difficulty verifying exactly haw much it was used in either. Bill told me that he does have some 8mm film of it in various shakedown runs in F3. One of the drivers at the time was Robin? Smith.
John Houghton has a couple of claims to fame in that he was tied up in the Biota Mini (anyone remember them)and secondly by profession he was an surveyor who alledgedly caused a canal to burst in Sheffield.
I purchased the Mink around ten years ago from Colin Cooper a well known single seater man but sadly had to pass it on recently and its now with Spencer Elton.

According to Bill Needham it did do quite a number of events at Oulton Park during the 60's.
Does anyone have any photos of it racing I wonder?
Old 3 Aug 2002, 00:24 (Ref:469896)   #78
tonyabacus
Rookie

tonyabacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of Costin, my sister in law moved to Wales in the early seventies and moved into a house with a large barn. The barn contained what she called a number of 'knocked together wooden structures' which she wanted out of the way. a neighbour told her that the previous owner was something to do with cars. When she told me I asked to her to take some photographs which she did and after much nagging she sent them to me. It was apparent that these were body moulds. When I rang her to find out more details she told me they had tipped them down a quarry to get rid of them, when I asked the name of the previous owner of the property all she could tell me was his name was Costin!
What the moulds were for is anybody's guess as the pictures did not make it clear.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 22:08 (Ref:469909)   #79
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
e-type jags drivers rememeber from the 60s warren pearce john quick rob schoeder alistair cowin john wilson john filbee jenny tudor-owen john lewis, in healeys john chatham stuart hands
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:21 (Ref:469894)   #80
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1968- Here's Dick Sandiland's Standard 8
Attached Thumbnails
sandard 8.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:469842)   #81
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by racing fxgt
1968- Here's Dick Sandiland's Standard 8
Doesn't look very standard to me!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 20:47 (Ref:469905)   #82
Fred Scatley
Racer

Fred Scatley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With ref to my post about Yimkin a month ago, I have just found the receipt for the work they did; it may not show up very well on screen but the firm was called Yimkin Engineering Ltd in association with Gordon & Glynn, technical Director Jackfairman. The prices charged, £20 for a polished head valves and stronger springs, then the labour £27 to strip the engine and gearbox and replace. wish it was like it now
Attached Thumbnails
yimkin bill.jpg  
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1221688)   #83
jkeller
Rookie

jkeller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger Enever

What ever happened to Roger Enever, Is he still around?
If so, does anyone know how to contact him?

Jim Keller
jim_keller@telus.net
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1221713)   #84
edholly
Rookie

Australia
sydney
edholly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Speaking of 60's Club racers. Would anyone have a program of Oulton Park around August 1969 which should show Chris Tipping in my ex Keith St.John, Liane Engeman, Ken Sheppard, Jimmy Johnstone, Brabham Ford BT15 . It was at this meeting Chris ran with a twincam installed after removeing the supercharged 1100. Not sure what type of meeting this was, whether a Club event or a larger meeting.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1221753)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeller
What ever happened to Roger Enever, Is he still around?
If so, does anyone know how to contact him?

Jim Keller
jim_keller@telus.net
Why not try the MG Car Club? http://www.mgcars.org.uk
Old 11 Feb 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1222863)   #86
Haydn
Rookie

Haydn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With reference to tonyabacus posting of august 2002 regarding the bill needham Coldwell Mink this car was listed on ebay recently as a formula junior with 'works" B.M.C. engine but did not reach reserve (highest bid I think was 1500 pounds) Might reappear relisted. Anyone interested should watch! Best of luck.

Haydn
Old 21 Apr 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1283630)   #87
luca
Rookie

United Kingdom
luca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harry Ratcliffe

Hello to all, i am reserching Harry Ratcliffe of British Vita Racing. Harry competed in mini coopers through out the 60's. Would anyone have any photo's of Harry or anyone conected with the team.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1285236)   #88
Turner Sports
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
Turner Sports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wing Commander K.W.Mackenzie - Alexander Turner 1961/2

See Historic Forum .. Looking for Information
Old 28 May 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1312852)   #89
John Cummins
Rookie

Ireland
Capital Heights, Maryland, USA
John Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill Nicholson

I was an at Moto Baldet in Northampton in 1965 when Bill Nicholson was there. he used to prepare 286FAC in the main shop just behind my bench. It was a 1963 he got new. It was at Westone Motors, part of the Moto Baldet group. Andre Baldet raced Lotus Cortinas out of there. Ken Myers, the shop foreman, also built a Mallock MK6B out of there and it was driven by his brother Brian. Also one of the very first Lotus 47 racers was built there. I also remember Sid Taylor's Lola T70 there when he was racing at Silverstone. Bill Nicholson LTD looks like the old Hamptune Motors building which was run by Ken Myers after he left Moto Baldet.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1488587)   #90
sebringracer
Rookie

United Kingdom
sebringracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken & Brian Myers

Does anyone remeber Ken Myers building an Austin Healey Sebring Sprite that was raced by his brother Brian in the early sixties?
Old 22 Dec 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1488619)   #91
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
what a fantastic thread - just spent last 20 mins reading from the start - the photos are excellant. I have Tony Lanfranchi's Lotus Cortina which he raced at Goodwood (2002) and Top Hat races - it was great seeing him in period - has anyone got photos of him in an Alan Mann Lotus Cortina in period?
Old 22 Dec 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1488789)   #92
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
likewise Simon ! I think it should everyones duty to post a decent photo every day !

I'm not sure PL drove Alan MAnn cars ? John Whitmores the man to ask . .or Alan himself . . .he's only up the road SImon !
Old 23 Dec 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1489143)   #93
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing fxgt
Do you remember this mini fitted with 1800cc engine,when I saw it at Brands, I'm sure the rear of the car had standard wheels looked really funny going along the main straight.

I remember this car Driven by Trevor Davies if memory serves right , it had a lot of problems with cooling and ended up with 2 great big Kenlowe fans in the boot lid

Pete
Old 22 Feb 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1848031)   #94
donturner
Rookie

donturner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing fxgt
1968 this mini engine was built by Bill Needham of Coldwell Engineering,1000cc,Lotus/Ford head,carbs 40 DFA.
Actually the head was Bills own design and build, the down draft webers came into the centre if the head.
Any one know where Bill is now?
Old 9 Mar 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1862683)   #95
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be very intersted to know a little more about your car please.
When you say it's an ex TL car what do you mean?
Old 17 Mar 2007, 23:24 (Ref:1869609)   #96
orouge
Rookie

Scotland
Norfolk
orouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not strictly circuit racing - but any suggestions as to who, when and where?

Old 18 Mar 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1870735)   #97
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Completely wild guess.
John Coundley in a Lister Jag of some sort. Firle Hill Climb 1965.
Say.
Old 18 Mar 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1870807)   #98
orouge
Rookie

Scotland
Norfolk
orouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good try! I'll give you a point for Lister and a point for Firle!
Old 24 Mar 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1875232)   #99
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
here's one from Ingliston in the 60's

Old 25 Mar 2007, 18:49 (Ref:1876018)   #100
MONDELLO MAN
Rookie

MONDELLO MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Thistle Tune Mini Estate; don't recall seeing a photo before; so Ginger Marshall wasn't the first.

Last edited by John Turner; 26 Mar 2007 at 08:32. Reason: I'm guessing that capslock was a mistake, given the small 't's before editing!