Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Feb 2006, 02:37 (Ref:1517725)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bathurst International Motor Festival. Launched!!!

http://www.bimf.com.au/

WPS on board as naming sponsor. Not sure is this old or not but its the first I had heard of it.

Really looking foward to this event and hope it can really take off.

Nice mix of displays, racing and single lap runs. Most intruiging to me is the Team Australia demo's. Could we see the old Reynard Champ Car be included in the run, just 4 days after Long Beach but maybe a few of the crew could fly over to make it happen.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1517749)   #2
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm disgusted.

One of the three best circuits in the world has its second meeting of the year given over to demonstartion runs?

What a waste of a golden opportunity.

By nice mix, isn't that their spin on an acknowledgement that basically means as little racing as possible because we've really only got three categories that are eligible to race on the Mountain anyway...

Really - we had plenty of WPS demonstration laps at Bathurst last year with the 300C leading the V8Supercar around on parade laps.

A historic festival can, and has been held anywhere, from a School Oval to full size circuits, but when a circuit is only allowed to be used twice a year and the second event will see historic cars puttering along at the top of the Mountain (if they are allowed up there) at 50 km/h is... I'm dismayed a racing weekend could not be organised.

Organised properly a historc festival could have been held with out racing, therefore removing the need to take up one of the circuits two precious track closures.

It'll be a great and fun event I'm sure, but figuratively we will be fed chips and coke when it could have been a full roast.

MHO.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 04:11 (Ref:1517759)   #3
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
I'm disgusted.

One of the three best circuits in the world has its second meeting of the year given over to demonstartion runs?

What a waste of a golden opportunity.

By nice mix, isn't that their spin on an acknowledgement that basically means as little racing as possible because we've really only got three categories that are eligible to race on the Mountain anyway...

Really - we had plenty of WPS demonstration laps at Bathurst last year with the 300C leading the V8Supercar around on parade laps.

A historic festival can, and has been held anywhere, from a School Oval to full size circuits, but when a circuit is only allowed to be used twice a year and the second event will see historic cars puttering along at the top of the Mountain (if they are allowed up there) at 50 km/h is... I'm dismayed a racing weekend could not be organised.

Organised properly a historc festival could have been held with out racing, therefore removing the need to take up one of the circuits two precious track closures.

It'll be a great and fun event I'm sure, but figuratively we will be fed chips and coke when it could have been a full roast.

MHO.
Hello Falcadore,

Not sure what the problem is as no one else has put an event together so we
can all enjoy this great circiut more than just once a year. Should we not embrace it and hope it builds into something really great??
Old 8 Feb 2006, 04:20 (Ref:1517764)   #4
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So will the ChampCar thats supposedly rocking up going to be allowed its head, and run a proper, timed lap or dozen?

The circuit will be very green, but with the right boost level, proper tyres, and a driver who knows the circuit, anyone prepared to bet on a sub 2 minute time?

(the sound you hear is Cochrane suffering a myocardial infarction at the thought something could be quicker than his SoupCars)

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 04:42 (Ref:1517778)   #5
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Dice
So will the ChampCar thats supposedly rocking up going to be allowed its head, and run a proper, timed lap or dozen?

The circuit will be very green, but with the right boost level, proper tyres, and a driver who knows the circuit, anyone prepared to bet on a sub 2 minute time?

(the sound you hear is Cochrane suffering a myocardial infarction at the thought something could be quicker than his SoupCars)
NO its the sound of pigs flying overhead.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 04:47 (Ref:1517780)   #6
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Oh... just like any press release from Gore/Larkham.. and their majestic "SuperTeam" in their "purpose-built" 600m2 racing facility.

Old 8 Feb 2006, 05:08 (Ref:1517787)   #7
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
we've really only got three categories that are eligible to race on the Mountain anyway...
Actually, at Mt. Panorama the following categories (with track densities in brackets) are allowed:

Formule Vee, Ford (55)
Prod Cars, Prod One Make, Saloon, Aussie Racing, HQ's, Improved Prod, Commodore Cup, Carrera/Porsche, Historic except groups Q and R, Marque Sports, Street Sedans, V8 Supercar, Super Touring (55)
Clubman Sports 1300 (44)
Regularity (60)

Mt Panorama is an FIA grade 3 licenced track with 36/72 pit spaces.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 05:11 (Ref:1517788)   #8
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Not sure what the problem is as no one else has put an event together so we can all enjoy this great circiut more than just once a year
Quite simply really - cost - it is simply too expensive to put any race meeting on at Bathurst unless you have major major backing.

Quote:
Unless it runs as a Regularity car then it will not be permitted to run especially if any timing equipment is in operation.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 05:15 (Ref:1517791)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil
Hello Falcadore,

Not sure what the problem is as no one else has put an event together so we
can all enjoy this great circiut more than just once a year.
Actually MPAC did put a proposal for a racing event at Mt Panorama but it was turned down for this current event.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 06:59 (Ref:1517810)   #10
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Shall we ignore the need to gazette the use of the track in the NSW government papers, and how that is an incredibly boringly laborious process, and able to be stopped on the fart and whim of a whingy whiny resident of the area stupid enough to complain about noisy cars on the track.

Sucks majorly,

I have an idea.. why doesnt WPS buy all the property round the track, convert some of it to tea tree farms, a couple of native growth forests, a resort for adults (woohoo nudies!!), an oldies home, maybe a hospital... then they could be the only people allowed to whinge about noisy cars on the track.

We
Prefer
Seton

Old 8 Feb 2006, 07:26 (Ref:1517815)   #11
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
The two meetings per year are already covered by Act of Parliament so need to Gazette other than for the government to advise the actual dates it is being used.

These two dates however are for FULL track usage so therefore events using only part of the track (hillclimb etc) do not require government approval, only local council/shire approvals.

And why shouldn't a local resident have the legal right to be able to 'complain' about any meeting propsoed at the Mt Panorama track - it is, after all, a government paid for (i.e. read taxpayer) venue.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1517841)   #12
silver 2
Racer

silver 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will be a full blown RACE MEETING.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1517863)   #13
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bit ironic that a Ford racing team can pull Holden as a sponsor.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1517893)   #14
col49
Rookie

Australia
sydney
col49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It will be a top weekend, any race weekend at Bathurst is a top weekend.

The last time easter ran at the circuit was a bike show about 5 years ago, great weekend but the organisers dropped a bundle on it.

Really looking forward to it.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1517963)   #15
johnny yuma
Veteran

Interesting its only [!!] $50 for a campsite but $135 when IMG is running the 1000. And that just to camp on Crown Land on top of the Mountain which was free for decades until AVESCO arrived.Perhaps the water will be turned off and there'll be a charge to breathe.

WAY TO MAKE SURE LESS PEOPLE ATTEND!!!
Old 8 Feb 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1517975)   #16
johnny yuma
Veteran

SORRY ITS PADDOCK CAMPING ONLY ANYHOW--they musn't be planning much action across the top....
Old 8 Feb 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1518379)   #17
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Actually, at Mt. Panorama the following categories (with track densities in brackets) are allowed:

Formule Vee, Ford (55)
Prod Cars, Prod One Make, Saloon, Aussie Racing, HQ's, Improved Prod, Commodore Cup, Carrera/Porsche, Historic except groups Q and R, Marque Sports, Street Sedans, V8 Supercar, Super Touring (55)
Clubman Sports 1300 (44)
Regularity (60)

Mt Panorama is an FIA grade 3 licenced track with 36/72 pit spaces.
All true - but from what I've been told - only three categories, or classes if you like as some will be combined to make a grid, will be at BIMF.

Bazil: Your not sure what my problem is? I thought I spelt it out very clearly. It's a waste of one of only two dates allowable to run it as anything other than a race meeting.

I'm sure it will be a great success, but that's not the point.

It should be a race meeting, not a glorified show 'n' shine.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1518381)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Actually MPAC did put a proposal for a racing event at Mt Panorama but it was turned down for this current event.
This Bazil - is what I meant.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1518388)   #19
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All true - but from what I've been told - only three categories, or classes if you like as some will be combined to make a grid, will be at BIMF.

Bazil: Your not sure what my problem is? I thought I spelt it out very clearly. It's a waste of one of only two dates allowable to run it as anything other than a race meeting.

I'm sure it will be a great success, but that's not the point.

It should be a race meeting, not a glorified show 'n' shine.
I get your point Facadore but what I am saying is there have been many proposals to run various events in recent times but whether due to financial issues or poor business plan they have not been able to get across the line. Look I would love to see full blown meetings there other than the 1000 both cars and bikes but perhaps if done properly this event will lead to bigger and better things.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 02:37 (Ref:1518511)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the program looks to be a bit sparse, unless the races are fairly long, but at least the second date is being used. I'll get my "proper race meeting" fix at Philip Island this weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Dice
I have an idea.. why doesnt WPS buy all the property round the track,
For that to happen, people must be willing to sell - not that I would know if it would happen or not but I bet not all land owners would even if offered silly money.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 03:05 (Ref:1518516)   #21
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst International Motor Festival Launched!!!

I have 2 big complaints about this event.First there are only 9 20 minute races spread across 4 days.Exhibitions dont work on a 6 kilometre circuit.Second the top of the mountain which is where all the best spectating spots are is going to be completely closed off to the public(no camping, no car access, no shuttle bus).I have been to every Bathurst meeting in the last 35 years.Here is one that might not be worth the trip.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1518523)   #22
johnny yuma
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 52
I have 2 big complaints about this event.First there are only 9 20 minute races spread across 4 days.Exhibitions dont work on a 6 kilometre circuit.Second the top of the mountain which is where all the best spectating spots are is going to be completely closed off to the public(no camping, no car access, no shuttle bus).I have been to every Bathurst meeting in the last 35 years.Here is one that might not be worth the trip.
I've been to most since 1968,all the 500s and 1000s certainly,and I'd have to agree.This is Bathurst Lite,big pond-small fish.Sad but true.After the fiasco of Oran Park's so called touring car festival last year,I'd err on the side of saving a couple of hundred bucks for not much.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 05:16 (Ref:1518538)   #23
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
9 races spread over 4 days - sounds like a Bathurst 1000 race meeting - although to be fair, last years meeting had 12 races BUT if you then count the 1000km race as it is actually run this becomes a 20 race program.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 07:09 (Ref:1518558)   #24
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan 52
Second the top of the mountain which is where all the best spectating spots are is going to be completely closed off to the public(no camping, no car access, no shuttle bus).
Ridiculous! Why hold it on the mountain and then only let your spectators watch in the "boring" square not-special bits? Are they on drugs?
Old 9 Feb 2006, 07:24 (Ref:1518561)   #25
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
John: If you went up top you wouldn't see much. I dare say a lot of the demonstration runs won't even head up the top in order to keep to a schedule. Imagine having to send a flat tow to a broken down 1920's open wheeler stuck at the dipper because it was too steep? Logistics would demand that probably only those 9 races will use the top of the mountain at all.

In my speculation mind you.