Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:41 (Ref:1527667)   #76
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whats wrong with a 625 mile race (do the maths).
Nothing if it is a RACE The second problem ,is the very slight problem, of a lack of money.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 07:01 (Ref:1527675)   #77
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And lack of officials.

Sponsors.

Entrants.

Reliable cars.

The list goes on.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1527826)   #78
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is only slightly longer than the Bathurst race of old days. Production touring cars did it then and no doubt would be reliable cars now. The Gallaher 500/ Hardie Ferodo 1000 ( 625 miles) had to start somewhere. I am sure there would be plenty of drivers and entrants wanting to carry on and restart that tradition.The ARDC you would think would love to re-establish itself with that type of race.It's short enough to keep spectators interested and hopefully TV. I think 12 hours is too long.
I know I'm dreamin' and money is the problem but it might be one of the things we need to do to re-establish great motor racing in Australia
Old 21 Feb 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1527856)   #79
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard today from a very reliable "powder room" inhabitant that the Aussie race cars do not have a permit to race. Not sure what is happening now, but apparently they are still trying. I also know of another club that is knocking on the door to provide a grid full of cars

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 21 Feb 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1527869)   #80
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And here we were thinking "Spinner" wouldnt be running this year
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Feb 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1527881)   #81
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
I heard today from a very reliable "powder room" inhabitant that the Aussie race cars do not have a permit to race. Not sure what is happening now, but apparently they are still trying. I also know of another club that is knocking on the door to provide a grid full of cars
What do you mean exactly by 'permit to race'?

According to the CAMS NTSC Track Density Summary for 2006, Assie Racing Cars are permitted 55 cars - IOW the track licence allows them to run.

Or is this a Phil Ward Vs CAMS issue again?
Old 21 Feb 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1527883)   #82
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure of the exact circumstances, all i know is that at this stage they are not. I may find out more tomorrow

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 21 Feb 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1527908)   #83
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
And pleae pass on when you find out if you can please - it is beginning to sound like a 'clash of personalities' rather than a CAMS or licencing issue.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1527971)   #84
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob
It is only slightly longer than the Bathurst race of old days. Production touring cars did it then and no doubt would be reliable cars now. The Gallaher 500/ Hardie Ferodo 1000 ( 625 miles) had to start somewhere. I am sure there would be plenty of drivers and entrants wanting to carry on and restart that tradition.The ARDC you would think would love to re-establish itself with that type of race.It's short enough to keep spectators interested and hopefully TV. I think 12 hours is too long.
I know I'm dreamin' and money is the problem but it might be one of the things we need to do to re-establish great motor racing in Australia
We are not Europe.We don't have hundreds of extremely wealthy people with time on their hands who want to race Ferraris,Lamborghinis etc.What we do have is a multitude of weekend warriors with mates,clues,the odd lazy dollar.As well we have an enormous number and variety of series production,GT performance,historic and soon to be historic sedans and sports cars.What I'm seeing is a Privateers Bathurst .Three or four races on a sunday of 100 to 200 km each to suit the categories reliability and perceived wallet.Maximise the categories to fill large grids.Pit stops only if necessary,minimal safety car deployment,access all areas,camping free first in first served.It won't be V8 SUPERCARS so the deadhead yobs won't turn up in bulk. ...dreamin I guess but I'd pay $80 to go. love to see ARDC run it but EC has them all tied up.

Last edited by johnny yuma; 21 Feb 2006 at 13:10. Reason: grammar
Old 21 Feb 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1528056)   #85
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
If they are only cruising around, hoping to finish, rather than racing ONE ANOTHER, yes it is boring. Bit like a modern version of the old REDEX trials.
They are still racing, just pacing themselves. I am disgusted I am going use this horrible analogy however they are buying a ticket to the end game.

That said everyones different, some like 20 minute sprint races, some like nose to tail street races and some like endurance racing.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1528204)   #86
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
some like endurance racing.
Unfortunately for you D.R.T. not many share your passion.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1528288)   #87
cornermsport
Racer

Australia
near Oran Park NSW
cornermsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
I also know of another club that is knocking on the door to provide a grid full of cars
Ha ha, looks like your going fishing now!!

Don't think it will ever happen, that is IPRA around the mount. Better to just remember the good times that were had at Bathst in '99
Old 22 Feb 2006, 01:10 (Ref:1528687)   #88
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the clash of personalities thing Storyline,I suppose you are referring to CAMS as they have a few in there with unusual personalities.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 01:46 (Ref:1528700)   #89
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Unfortunately for you D.R.T. not many share your passion.
Yet for 40 years now, tens of thousands of people turn out to watch a 1000km race.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 01:56 (Ref:1528704)   #90
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
cav - it is well known that there is 'history' between CAMS and Phil Ward - how many remember the way CAMS dug in on the reverse gear issue on his cars?

The problem for Phil is that he has a very successful and popular category - have there been any races where they haven't started the meeting with a full grid?

CAMS - well some within CAMS - hate seeing something being so successful without them being part of it - dare I say taking a slice of the $$$ pie (or at least attempting to).

Given that Bathurst is already licensed for these cars, the only reason they could be denied a permit to run would have to come from CAMS. The question then is why given that the 2006 Track Licence specifically allows 55 of them to run at once on Mt Panorama are they not being permitted to run?
Old 22 Feb 2006, 02:22 (Ref:1528707)   #91
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Yet for 40 years now, tens of thousands of people turn out to watch a 1000km race
it is now a RACE previously it was an endurance event. Fans have moved on, they want actual racing, not a reliability trial.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 02:41 (Ref:1528710)   #92
D.R.T.
Veteran

I disagree, I dont think fans have moved on. In the V8 context hasn't there been disappointment in the way the v8 1000 has been going. Riddled with safety cars taking away the true essence of the event.

Drivers and fans are after longer events, wasn't that the push after monotonous and singled sided races.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 02:58 (Ref:1528713)   #93
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
It certainly isn't now a race - it is a series of mini sprints separated by a series of safety cars.

Far be it from me to suggest that the race is now, effectively, a rigged set of sprint events the outcome of which is a carefully orchestrated result.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:06 (Ref:1528719)   #94
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you are right storyline,I have heard they give Phil Ward a hard time and it is probably because his class is so successfull. Having spoken to him several times he shows incredible enthusiasm for his class and motorsport generally so I am sure he is not the sort of person who CAMS will be able to pull any punches with. You would think that CAMS would go out of their way to help him when in terms of competitor numbers they collect the most money.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:15 (Ref:1528720)   #95
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
If you look at it logically - the people CAMS always seem to have a problem with are those that have enough business sense to be able to stage some form of motor racing that is profitable and/or popular.

What do CAMS do in these instances?

They either buy into them (the CAMS/AVESCO, CAMS/PROCAR alliances) or fight them (Bob Jane/Calder, Phil Ward/ARC).
Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:18 (Ref:1528721)   #96
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enough is enough - I fail to understand how some of you supposed motorsport enthusiast's enjoy rubbishing one class in favour of another all of the time

Why compare the 1,000km event with a 24hour event ? Why do some of you rubbish what you havent seen ? Why ridicule a concept that internationally is one of the greatest races ever with a long and presigious history ? (Of course I am talking about Le Mans)

Come on guys, support your sport no matter what and stop being so negative and derogatory toward events you dont (and obviously dont want to)understand !!!

I love motorsport and am lucky enough to have been involved in numerous forms including single seaters, touring cars (including your revered V8's) sports racing cars and even American Transam cars in a variety of countries and ALL have been great. I have been to F1 Grands Prix, Champ Car, Nascar and WRC events BUT I have also stood amongst 130,000+ cheering race fans watching some of the World's greatest drivers compete at the Nurburgring and Spa Francorchamps 24 hour races The Bathurst 24 hour, whilst in its infancy, did have all of the ingredients to become another of the World great long distance races but sadly it never got the chance to really shine.

To everyone - If you dont like a particular event or class of car, fine, we are all entitled to an opinion but please dont continually put other forms of motorsport down just to help pump up your own ego and get your comments on a forum page....

It is all motorsport and it all has speed, excitement, race craft, sad stories and winners
Old 22 Feb 2006, 03:23 (Ref:1528722)   #97
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
it is now a RACE previously it was an endurance event. Fans have moved on, they want actual racing, not a reliability trial.
It always was a race,only now there is less likelihood of component failure than in the past.Takes a lot of the interest away,i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
The problem for Phil is that he has a very successful and popular category - have there been any races where they haven't started the meeting with a full grid?
Serves him right for providing affordable motor racing to anyone who wants it.
The ARC is what the under 1600cc class used to be, imho,young-up-and-coming and old-lets-have-some-fun drivers.More power to Phil Ward.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 04:00 (Ref:1528730)   #98
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
disagree, I dont think fans have moved on. In the V8 context hasn't there been disappointment in the way the v8 1000 has been going. Riddled with safety cars taking away the true essence of the event
Well I thought the last couple were the best Bathurst's I have seen and I have been watching since 1962..before there was a 500 mile Bathurst.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 04:46 (Ref:1528734)   #99
D.R.T.
Veteran

I respect your opinion but I personally struggle to see how a race riddled and manipulated by safety cars can be seen as more of a contest and spectacle than some of the great battles and duels between drivers, teams, person + mountain and person + machine that have been witnessed at Bathurst over its amazing history.

Sandown was a much better and interesting race in 2005 than Bathurst last year.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 05:07 (Ref:1528738)   #100
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Bathurst has stopped being an endurance event, like what it was in the past. It is now a race, very much like the NASCAR 500 milers, more strategy than hoping the car will limp home.