Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Sep 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3848887)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Anyone prone to missing drivers briefings, be warned- €150 Euro fine at Spa!

Now how about a fine for any driver not listening to what’s being said in the briefing......

Old 8 Sep 2018, 18:06 (Ref:3848889)   #27
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Anyone prone to missing drivers briefings, be warned- €150 Euro fine at Spa!

Now how about a fine for any driver not listening to what’s being said in the briefing......

How would you know?
Old 8 Sep 2018, 19:20 (Ref:3848902)   #28
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
How would you know?
If you mean ‘how would you know if a driver has missed the briefing?’ Normal practice is that you have to sign against your name on a list. One organiser now hole punches your wrist band.....

If you mean ‘how would you know if a driver has paid attention?’ -Maybe a written test afterwards...

You wouldn’t believe how often, after the CoC has hammered home a particular point, it’s questioned again by someone at the end.....
Old 8 Sep 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3848904)   #29
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...or ignored when they get out on the track!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 8 Sep 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3848905)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
And that.....
Old 10 Sep 2018, 04:53 (Ref:3849138)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dust just about settled from Goodwood . Two extreamly busy days ahead but then me and Delta truck are heading for Spa. Looking forward to it very very much . See you there . 😀
Old 10 Sep 2018, 05:18 (Ref:3849140)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Enjoy yourself. Hope it's a great meeting.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3849167)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Ready to go! The cars have been polished to within an inch of their lives, and the truck has also had a good clean up after Ricard trip. Ferries booked.....

Weather forecast looking OK for the weekend, with rain only mentioned for late Thursday. BUT, it’s Spa, so will be prepared for anything......

Old 10 Sep 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3849172)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If you mean ‘how would you know if a driver has missed the briefing?’ Normal practice is that you have to sign against your name on a list. One organiser now hole punches your wrist band.....

If you mean ‘how would you know if a driver has paid attention?’ -Maybe a written test afterwards...

You wouldn’t believe how often, after the CoC has hammered home a particular point, it’s questioned again by someone at the end.....

Written test seems like a good idea.

And "it’s questioned again by someone at the end" would seem to be very worrying considering that the level of personal success enjoyed by most of the drivers in order to be able to afford to race at such an event surely suggests that they should have the required skills to be able to assimilate information quite readily.

That said I suspect there may be more than a few apparently successful people who may not be quite so quick on the uptake and whose success is based on repetitive questioning to make sure they get the same answer each time - no matter how simple the point being made might be. Once into that habit it seems it can be difficult to break it.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3849181)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I think sometimes the question is asked again by someone hoping to get a different answer! Come to think of it, I can remember that happening....
Old 10 Sep 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3849191)   #36
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
I think sometimes the question is asked again by someone hoping to get a different answer! Come to think of it, I can remember that happening....

Ah!,
Well I have known that technique to be used to gently propose that wrong information has been shared without making an outright challenge to the content. In your example it seems to have worked.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3849205)   #37
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Pit box allocation for 6hrs received! We’re one from the bottom in #45, and next to Michael Birch, Mr Burnett and co.....
Old 10 Sep 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3849240)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Wish I was going, Arthur's birthday weekend (he'd like to be there too) but Mrs Zef still has no passport due to the high efficiency of the home office reissuing her ILR. 6 weeks so far with no ID!
Old 10 Sep 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3849243)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can you still recognise her?
Old 10 Sep 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3849244)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Wish I was going, Arthur's birthday weekend (he'd like to be there too) but Mrs Zef still has no passport due to the high efficiency of the home office reissuing her ILR. 6 weeks so far with no ID!
Shame, Joe. Just looking down the list of entries for the 6 and the pit box allocation for the meeting brings home what a huge meeting it still is. Brings out goose bumps!
Old 10 Sep 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3849255)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It's the best historic race meeting, at the best circuit, in the nicest countryside, in the world.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 21:39 (Ref:3849274)   #42
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the latest thinking of whether to go via Brussels or Lille?

I read a thread on here years ago that went on for pages and pages. Just wondering whether Brussels is still solid on a typical thursday at 2-3pm?

Went Lille route three years ago. It was fine but seemed a really noisy drive with a lot of concrete road surface....although that mattered less when we blew a sparkplug out of the motorhome, disconnected the injector for that cylinder and carried on on 9 cylinders. Then it was loud!!!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 04:46 (Ref:3849290)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post

I read a thread on here years ago that went on for pages and pages. Just wondering whether Brussels is still solid on a typical thursday at 2-3pm?

Went Lille route three years ago. It was fine but seemed a really noisy drive with a lot of concrete road surface....although that mattered less when we blew a sparkplug out of the motorhome, disconnected the injector for that cylinder and carried on on 9 cylinders. Then it was loud!!!
I go via Brussels every trip in an HGV and 9 times out of ten traffic is 'fluide'. If it's raining there will surely be fender benders that slow things down, and if you hit the RO during rush hour it will definitely be busy. Middle of day or early hours best. By 3pm could be getting busy again..... Sunday eve coming home usually OK as well.

There are 2 road works on the E40 west of Brussels in Ghent region that slow you down a little bit as well. They were just lane width restrictions with speed limit. Looking at live traffic at moment seem to be same. There were also road works between Calais and Dunkirk on the A16 in the summer but they have finished for the moment. The bridge works of the last few years between Spa and Brussels are all done, thank goodness.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 11 Sep 2018 at 05:16. Reason: Added info
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3849307)   #44
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

2-3 pm on a Thursday is usually OK, gets worse later on.
On a Friday it's a different story, rush hour starts earlier.

I hate that Lille road and being 2 lane means it takes less to bring it to a standstill.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3849309)   #45
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I read a thread on here years ago that went on for pages and pages. Just wondering whether Brussels is still solid on a typical thursday at 2-3pm

Don't make the mistake I made first time I went to Spa. Approaching Brussels we could not see any signs for Liege and ended up in Brussels suburbs. Eventually got the map out and realised Liege is also known as Liuk. Duh!!
Lost more than an hour fannying around. Probably the reason I bought a satnav.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:52 (Ref:3849315)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Going, and towing, I prefer Lille, but coming back usually entails a mid day trip around Brussels and its pretty easy. I've not noticed any significant time saving between each route though.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3849321)   #47
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Brussels every time, unless I was visiting friends in Landelies ( South of Charleroi ) the Ring is only small, so even when it's slow it 20m or so tops.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3849541)   #48
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I shall be getting of the ferry soon . Will take the E40 high road . Will report in when I get to Spa .
Old 12 Sep 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3849544)   #49
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Todays news is that the tunnel at Tervuren (exit 1) is closed and will cause tail backs, that is 2 exits beyond the Liege/Luik = Spa/E40 exit so shouldn't be a big problem...

The Lille route is longer/slower, maybe 20 mins or so, which means you need significant delays on the Brussels route for it to be slower overall.

Good luck to all those heading to Spa - luck at Spa and in getting there!
Old 12 Sep 2018, 08:12 (Ref:3849557)   #50
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I shall be getting of the ferry soon . Will take the E40 high road . Will report in when I get to Spa .

Are we nearly there yet?