Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 15 Oct 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1738789)   #1
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
**official** Troy Bayliss Back For Valencia.

Sete's broken a hand and hurt his sholder after the run in with Stoner...

...Bayliss' reward for a season well done? We can only dream....
Old 16 Oct 2006, 06:01 (Ref:1738875)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would like to see Troy back in Moto GP but i am worried that we could see another stint like his last,not that inspiring.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 06:30 (Ref:1738887)   #3
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I know you Aussie-boys would like to see Troy back, but why not have a return of Xaus. Who knows what can happen in the championship then...
Old 16 Oct 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1738995)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wouldnt they just steal Hofman again ?
Old 16 Oct 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1739104)   #5
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Casey in, Sete out.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1739124)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that's a harsh coincidence.

Stoner accidently injures Sete and then takes his Ducati ride. Would anyone trade places with Sete this year? His run of bad luck has been unreal.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1739125)   #7
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oops, thats next year, sorry.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1739641)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well done Troy on winning the World Superbike championship, here's a MotoGP wildcard, be miserable and uncompetitive again!
Old 16 Oct 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1739748)   #9
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am for the life of me, still trying to work out why when Troy is on a Ducati in Superbikes he is justabout unbeatable yet in MotoGP trim Troy was... well boring to watch???

Go the Datto!!!
Old 17 Oct 2006, 02:02 (Ref:1739786)   #10
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
I've heard stories of unequal machinery in the two Ducati garages, whether those stories have substance...
Old 17 Oct 2006, 02:23 (Ref:1739792)   #11
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
We already have 3 Aussies on the grid but a 4th wouldn't hurt.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 02:32 (Ref:1739795)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Now that's a harsh coincidence.

Stoner accidently injures Sete and then takes his Ducati ride. Would anyone trade places with Sete this year? His run of bad luck has been unreal.
well at the last round it was rumoured that Nakano was going to take sete's seat next year at ducati and he takes sete out,now Casey takes out sete and well ...
Old 17 Oct 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1740151)   #13
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
I've heard stories of unequal machinery in the two Ducati garages, whether those stories have substance...
Why was he even worse on the Camel Honda?
Old 17 Oct 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1740182)   #14
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WSBK to MotoGP seems to be almost impossible. Let's look at the victims:

4 WSBK Champions/Legends

Troy Bayliss (2xWSBK Champ) - truly sucks in MotoGp on Ducati and Honda
Nori Haga (Legend) - even worse in stints on Yamaha and Aprilia
Hodgson (WSBK Champ) - sucks on year-old Duke compared to Xaus
Colin Edwards (2xWSBK Champ) - probably the most convincing of the group but then he was probably the best of them in WSBK too. Hasn't set the world alight. Hope he does next season though!

and Xaus. Young, mental and not bad on the Duke. Was awful on the Yamaha compared to Elias.

Then, Barros (aging, axed MotoGP racewinner) wins WSBK race in first season on 2nd rate bike. And threatens to do much more.

Conclusion?

WSBK easier. Competition of less talent.

Harsh but probably fair. Still, WSBK gives great racing so who cares..

Feel free to rip me apart
Old 17 Oct 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1740203)   #15
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sorry (for WSBK's boys) but I tend to be near of David's thoughts. Anyway, yes, WSBK has good races and, yes, who cares

It's natural that between two "world series" one of them has a higher level than the other. Nothing to be ashamed

About Sete's misfortune, I'm sorry for him. How bad luck he has had. Troy is brilliant in WSBK, but we have seen him in MotoGP, so I personally am not too excited to see him in Valencia.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1740314)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where is Sete next season? He's had nothing but bad luck for a while now.

As for Troy, does he really want to come back just for a one-off?
Old 17 Oct 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1740352)   #17
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
Anyway, yes, WSBK has good races and, yes, who cares
A more accurate grammatical rendition of the intended meaning is "yes, so who cares". It's to say, who cares about the level if the racing itself is great . I think this was David's idea, that I agreed with.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1740451)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As Bayliss is staying in WSBK for the next 2 years, and it's not his home race, I can't see what he has to gain from a one-off. It could knock his confidence again if it goes wrong. Most likely outcome is Hoffman on the factory bike and Silva on the D'Antin ride again.

Incidentally, Stoner really needs to ride more carefully. I make it 6 race-ending crashes now including the practice one. Even allowing for him being a rookie with no team-mate, that's not an impressive showing.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1740578)   #19
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidStHubbins
Why was he even worse on the Camel Honda?
Rumour had it because the Ducati didn't have any fancy gearshifting electronics, he couldn't get used to riding the Honda without "flapping the arms" on the downshift.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1740582)   #20
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidStHubbins
WSBK to MotoGP seems to be almost impossible. Let's look at the victims:

4 WSBK Champions/Legends

Troy Bayliss (2xWSBK Champ) - truly sucks in MotoGp on Ducati and Honda
Nori Haga (Legend) - even worse in stints on Yamaha and Aprilia
Hodgson (WSBK Champ) - sucks on year-old Duke compared to Xaus
Colin Edwards (2xWSBK Champ) - probably the most convincing of the group but then he was probably the best of them in WSBK too. Hasn't set the world alight. Hope he does next season though!

and Xaus. Young, mental and not bad on the Duke. Was awful on the Yamaha compared to Elias.

Then, Barros (aging, axed MotoGP racewinner) wins WSBK race in first season on 2nd rate bike. And threatens to do much more.

Conclusion?

WSBK easier. Competition of less talent.

Harsh but probably fair. Still, WSBK gives great racing so who cares..

Feel free to rip me apart
Nicky Hayden: Second in World Championship.
Chris Vermulean: not doing too bad this year.
Mick Doohan: Straight from Superbikes onto a grand prix bike. Turned out utter crap if you ask me.
Eddie Lawson, Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey all came from National Superbikes, where presumeably the talent threshold was lower.

The arguement is not that WSBK is easier, it's "If you are good enough, you will make it." But sure, it helps if you spend 4 years running through the tracks in the feeder series.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1740601)   #21
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

In judo they say that firstly you have to learn to fall properly. Maybe Stoner is using the same approach in MotoGP
Old 17 Oct 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1740614)   #22
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Mick Doohan: Straight from Superbikes onto a grand prix bike. Turned out utter crap if you ask me.
Eddie Lawson, Kevin Schwantz, Wayne Rainey all came from National Superbikes, where presumeably the talent threshold was lower.

The arguement is not that WSBK is easier, it's "If you are good enough, you will make it." But sure, it helps if you spend 4 years running through the tracks in the feeder series.
Maybe David means people developed in SBK, and not people in his forming years. The point is to be a star in WSBK is not a guarantee of doing well in MotoGP, but the reverse is more likely.

Obviously the feeder series is related to where you star to race, not to your talent. So, Hayden, Vermeulen were not developed when they were in SBK. Exceptions can be found but the rule is more or less apparent.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1740622)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza

Did you just use Nicky Hayden's talent as part of your argument?
Old 17 Oct 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1740720)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The main reason why Lawson, Schwantz and Rainey were huge successes in GP was the way the bikes needed to be ridden back then.
They all did flat track speedway and used the same methods as Spencer championed before them to win.
After Freddie came in and dominated the sport in 83, the factoreis knew that his way was the way forward, so every bike was designed to be ridden like that, LAwson was actually very smooth but Schwatnz, Gardner, Rainey et al were all accomplished rear wheel steerers.
The modern way is more 250 based coz of tyres predominantly and chassis aswell, hence a superbike really is not that helpful in learning how to ride at GP level anymore, as none of them have really made a huge success of it.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1740725)   #25
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
The difference from Superbikes to MotoGP will be as big as it's ever been next year.