Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Jan 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1205765)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MSV's plans for Snetterton

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/...A26%3A45%3A663

Plans for a residential school and hotel are on the wish list of former Formula 1 ace Jonathan Palmer, who is the driving force behind the MotorSport Vision (msv) company, which took over the track a year ago.

As it sits on the grid for a second year, the company unveiled plans for £500,000-worth of improvements – double the amount spent in the first year.

He said MSV was confident that Snetterton, like Norfolk and Norwich, was "on the up" and the operators were determined to make it one of the nation's top five circuits – rather than being considered a "scruffy track in the sticks".

This looks good, a gradual upgrade of the circuit and additions to it like a hotel and a race school will spread the income and make it more viable, particularly now access to the circuit is vastly improved by the dual carriageway.

The area is growing at a fast pace and although unthinkable even 5 years ago, a hotel and conference facility there would be pretty busy IMO.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1205785)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The dual carriageway would be so much better if you didn't get the traffic throught the woods
Old 20 Jan 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1205802)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with you ST, this looks to be very promising. No indications of a change to the circuit layout too, which is very good news after rumours I heard late last year. Just gradual improvements from a facility point of view. Let's hope it does work at increasing the spectator numbers too - the intent is certainly there!
Old 20 Jan 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1205854)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
The dual carriageway would be so much better if you didn't get the traffic throught the woods
Soon to be resolved I think.

I believe we will see the remaining stretch (Elvedon to Barton Mills) dualled before too long.

The immediate benefit is actually getting into the circuit without having to 'play chicken' across the opposing carriageway!

As a 'local' I can testify that the area in general is growing at such a pace, that an increased facility at Snett can only benefit both ways of the equation.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 20 Jan 2005 at 19:16.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1205861)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see this happening.

Jonathan Palmer's putting his money where his mouth is.

He seems to be very good news for British motorsport
Old 20 Jan 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1205865)   #6
Off at Paddock
Rookie

England
Norwich
Off at Paddock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not been a regular to Snett since the demise of the Champion of Snetterton FF1600 (mainly work commitments). But I have noticed a steady decline in facilities for spectators. Hats off to JP, Snett is a fab circuit and should be protected. I hope its not all talk we have nearly lost the circuit a few times.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1205922)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it, the land either side of the A11 between Barton Mills and Thetford, belongs in the main to a certain Lord Melchet (not the one from Blackadder fame), and he's a little bit of a green campaigner and tree hugger. As you may (or may not) have noticed, there are a few trees on that stretch of road. I seem to remember him saying things like "over my dead body", in relation to widening of the A11 through his estate.

There have been a number of plans for widening & dualling the A11 along that section.

One good start would be to ban all holiday caravans on that section during the weekend of race meetings, and supermarket lorries too. (tee hee hee!)

I look forward to seeing the improvements at the circuit and applaud JP for his forward vision. The medicine may be bitter at first, but it's in the interest of the sport, then the end quite often justifies the means.

Circuit improvements: Erecting a wind break to the east/north east would be a another start.

Please don't fill in the bomb hole!

Can we have the old Norwich straight back. They don't really need to have a market on it, do they?

New grandstand at Russell please - on the outside, with a bridge to get to it, then the punters in it can see most of the circuit.

Power points in the paddock for us competitor types.

Rob.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1205985)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I'll second the idea of a footbridge over the start/finish straight. You can walk across the track between races but that doesn't help much during the 2CV 24hrs.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 01:06 (Ref:1206035)   #9
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard a few rumours last year about the circuit. New grandstands, spectators at Seer and a new track layout but the hotel is new. Whatever JP does I'm sure it will be good for the circuit and motorsport.
I also remember a few years ago, just before Nicola sold BHL that Norfolk council and local motorsport businesses wanted to make the area a centre of excellence for national and cub motorsport; just as Northampton/Oxfordshire area is for F1. It would be great if the council resurected the idea now with JP at the helm. It really would put Snetterton on the map and probably bring back the glory days of the Jim Russell era to the circuit.

Steve B
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1206369)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the various rumours are true, it should be good for Snetterton. I've always been a big fan of the circuit, while my dad is of the opinion that it ain't that great. But there is actually a lot of good viewing points, aswell as the traditional Russell, it's just a bit of a walk getting to them. On club days, or tests, it's easy enough to hop in the car and drive round, but you can't do that for busier events.

Some grandstands, viewing at Sear etc., would be great, perhaps putting in some sort of banking at the Esses aswell? It's a great couple of corners, but on a busy day you can't go more than a couple of people deep, because of the flatness.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1206393)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds great news. Now all they need to do is can the market.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 23:11 (Ref:1207452)   #12
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
.Some grandstands, viewing at Sear etc., would be great, perhaps putting in some sort of banking at the Esses aswell? It's a great couple of corners, but on a busy day you can't go more than a couple of people deep, because of the flatness.
Mike
I take it you mean the inside of Esses. Banking would be pointless there. I dont know when you were last at Snet but there is banking on the outside now just past the bridge behind the brick flag point. From there you can get a great view all the way to Russell.

Steve B
Old 23 Jan 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1207719)   #13
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I'll second the idea of a footbridge over the start/finish straight. You can walk across the track between races but that doesn't help much during the 2CV 24hrs.
I'm going to oppose the idea of a bridge then.
What is really needed there is a tunnel, like the one at Thruxton.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1207733)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Do you mean a pedestrian tunnel like Donington or a full truck-sized tunnel like Thruxton? Can't see the need to get vehicles accross. A tunnel would make wheelchair access easier though.

As long as I can get from one side of teh track to the other I'm happy either way.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1207739)   #15
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking more of the Thruxton pedestrian tunnel - clearly you don't need a vehicle tunnel as there is a perfectly good service road around the circuit already.

I'm not a fan of Donington's tunnel - the ceiling is too low.
Old 23 Jan 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1207769)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A spectator bridge from the paddock across to the other side of the start straight would be great. There always was one in the 50s/60s/70s until a fierce storm destroyed it. Goodwood style pits with viewing balcony above would also be good - again like Snett of old.
But the biggest improvement of all for me would be to move the assembly area to the other end of the pits, next to Parc Ferme, to allow the old Russell (almost flat) corner to be re-instated. Removing the assembly area would allow for modern run-off. There is plenty of space up towards Riches for a new assembly area.
Every driver who drove the old Russell would agree it was awesome - a big deep breath before turn in. The new Russell is hideously slow and seems to spoil the flow.

When Russell was first put in place in '65 to slow the cars before the pits it too was a very tight corner, tighter infact than the Russell now. But the powers that be saw sense quickly and made it much faster. Why can't they do this now?
Old 23 Jan 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1207854)   #17
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown
Mike
I take it you mean the inside of Esses. Banking would be pointless there. I dont know when you were last at Snet but there is banking on the outside now just past the bridge behind the brick flag point. From there you can get a great view all the way to Russell.

Steve B
I meant the outside, there isn't an over abundance of banking from what I can see, and I was there in November...

A tunnel under the track would be good though. Too many bridges and things clutter things up.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1208825)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All the positive news coming out of Palmer's circuits is marvellous.

Bear in mind the alternative was John Bachelor buying them :|