Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Jul 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1355418)   #26
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not sure of the details, i just heard Brad Jones mention it last Sunday. I just hope that any new track that gets made has some elevation changes and undulations. Near Badgery's Ck would be a good area to make a track like that
Old 15 Jul 2005, 00:55 (Ref:1355886)   #27
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm told that the new garage complex at OP was built to be transportable to the new circuit. Badgery's Creek is one proposed site, another is Wilton, a small town 20km SW of Camden, the town nearest OP.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1355981)   #28
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I've heard, yes, the pit complex was made 'portable' with the move in mind and also that Wilton is also the preferred location, but then again, time will tell.

When I used to flag there, late 70's, we were told many times that "this could be the last meeting" because it was being sold to developers. Some 25 years later it's still going!!!!

When the day does come, I'll make the trek from Adelaide to say my goodbye, it was my second home, along with Amaroo, for many years.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1357653)   #29
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Sad loss
Used to love watching the channel 7 coverage of amaroo park in the 70s.
ATCC, under 3litre (mm those capris) formula fords and Vees,superminis, sports sedans, TR7, alfas, geminis. wonderful sunday arvos.

When i was about 12 in 1978 i got to go 1st hand to see Moff (in his 77 paint scheme XC) and grice (Craven Mild A9X) banging panels all the way round. What a thrill! went almost every year at least once a year after that.

Saw abloke called Dick Johnson debut a beautiful Blue XD there one year ina 300KM race,and wipe everyones "donkey". I thought to myself, looks liekFord are gunna win Bathurst this year.

Got THE WORST sunburn/sunstroke in my life there,Jan/feb one year. was 100 degrees summer day, full sun, no shade, the spectator hill up bitupave faced north. And the only place selling drink was run by two "little old school tuckshop ladies" the queue was longer then the front straight,I remember people passing out! what a nightmare!

Great track to watch racing at tho, Was a tight twisty dinky track but you could see almost the whole track from hill, up nice and close.
Old 28 Jul 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1365499)   #30
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,

I went to Amaroo Park the other weekend and a box of tissues was definitely required. I wouldn't say it was unrecogniseable but was very very depressing.

I resisted the temptation to try and drive up Bitupave (due to the huge mansion in the way). However there is some good news, the toilet block is still there behind the old carpark at the rear of the pits and their is a stack of old race tyres over near where the hill climb was. The road that ran behind the pits that you would drive along to get to the top of Bitupave is now a driveway.

I have some pics if someone wants to post them on here. Send me a pm and I will email them.
Old 29 Jul 2005, 07:09 (Ref:1366324)   #31
v8babe
Racer

Australia
QLD
v8babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jd, had the day off today so decided to go up there and pay homage. All my life I've only lived 10mins from the old track and haven't been past there in years.

Driving up Joylyn Rd was a stomach churner, got the butterflies going. I pulled over and just sat on the side of the road for about 5mins, to see all those ritzy homes in place of what was... so heartbreaking, yes the tissues were needed that's for sure!

It was said in AA this week that Oran Park may be re-built somewhere else in Sydney after it closes... why can't someone do that with Amaroo? I'd give anything to see it up and running somewhere else in Sydney. If I had the property it'd be a done deal!!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 01:07 (Ref:1367887)   #32
700hp Gtr
Rookie

700hp Gtr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i spent a lot of my younger years going to amaroo and oran park following my uncle when he started racing in 68 in mini's and won the 74 leyland mini series at amaroo,then progressed to a rx3 for a few years then onto the croup c rx7 in about 79? he had some great battles with moffat and barry jones.the racing was alway fantastic.it was a very family oriented track,we used to get up on the rocks near the start of the main straight,mum would get out the homemade crumbed chicken pieces ,what a way to spend a day.
i have so many fond memorys of amaroo park.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 02:34 (Ref:1367909)   #33
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've avoided going back to Amaroo.... seeing those pics definitely brought a tear to my eye. Such great memories
Old 31 Jul 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1368160)   #34
FORDSTAR1
Rookie

FORDSTAR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first ever V8 Supercar meeting was held at Amaroo in 1993. From memory, the field comprised 2 DJR Fords, 2 Peter Jackson Fords, 2 HRT cars, Wayne Gardner's Commodore and a few others. No more than 12 cars made up the field. Pretty sure Seto won the round.
Old 31 Jul 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1368163)   #35
FORDSTAR1
Rookie

FORDSTAR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
700hp GTR, your uncle is?
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1368613)   #36
700hp Gtr
Rookie

FORDSTAR1, my uncle is terry shiel, he also co-drove the pj skylines in the enduros 86 87 and the djr sierra's 91 92
Old 31 Jul 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1368646)   #37
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sources around the South-Western Sydney loop divulged some interesting information about OP and a few other things as well. I'm no GTR, so bear with me.

1. Construction of homes is steadily under way around the Crossroads area, and the plan from those in the know is to move steadily south.

2. Construction of the new mini-city at Bringelly will commence in less than two year's time.

3. OP won't be closed down for another decade (the least believable of the rumours, if you ask me).

4. Badgery's Creek is not an option as a viable racetrack. New houses will eventually be built in the area, and with a certain motorway steadily being constructed, a further nasty surprise awaits those living in the Fairfield, Liverpool, Camden, Campbelltown, Wolondilly and Penrith localities on its completion.

5. The 'new' racetrack will be constructed around Douglas Park, not Wilton as previously stated. Infrastrucuture such as the pit buildings will be moved to the new site. And Government assistance is promised, per the conditions of the sale.

6. A new rail line will be built joining the detour at Glenfield all the way to Luddenham. If my sources are correct, this project could be under way sooner than anybody thinks.

7. A certain local airport is nearing the end. One near the equally-isolated Serbian club. More houses will be constructed around this area.

I hope I have been of help, not hindrance.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 00:04 (Ref:1368653)   #38
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDSTAR1
The first ever V8 Supercar meeting was held at Amaroo in 1993. From memory, the field comprised 2 DJR Fords, 2 Peter Jackson Fords, 2 HRT cars, Wayne Gardner's Commodore and a few others. No more than 12 cars made up the field. Pretty sure Seto won the round.
Technically, it was the first event for the Group 3A category cars which are now known as V8Supercars. Back then it was still the Shell Australian Touring Car Championship.

The competitors
Dick Johnson and John Bowe - DJR EB Falcons
Mark Skaife and Jim Richards - Winfield VP Commodores
Wayne Gardner and Tomas Mezera - HRT VP Commodores
Alan Jones and Glenn Seton - GSR EB Falcons
Trevor Ashby - Lansvale VP Commodore
Bob Jones - Ampol Max 3 VP Commodore
Neil Crompton - Bob Forbes Motorsport VP Commodore
Bob Pearson - Pro-Duct VP Motorsport Commodore
Peter Brock - Advantage Racing VP Commodore

JB took the overall honours from Skaife and Seton in 3rd.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1368665)   #39
Seton Fanatic
Racer

What do you mean by 12 cars? 12 Supercars or 12 overall, for there were more than 12 present for the meeting overall.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1368670)   #40
alfacors
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seton Fanatic
What do you mean by 12 cars? 12 Supercars or 12 overall, for there were more than 12 present for the meeting overall.
The cars I listed were the ones competing in the SATCC. There were also 2L Touring Cars which (from memory) had their own race earlier in the day, and then a combined race with the V8s for the 'final'. If you have a look at the stats on another site you frequent SF, you'll be able to search for V8 results at Amaroo....
Old 1 Aug 2005, 01:44 (Ref:1368685)   #41
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700hp Gtr
FORDSTAR1, my uncle is terry shiel, he also co-drove the pj skylines in the enduros 86 87 and the djr sierra's 91 92
Well then, you forgot to mention his F Ford success!

Are you Craig?

Kramer
Old 1 Aug 2005, 02:24 (Ref:1368692)   #42
Seton Fanatic
Racer

No need for Conrod when I have AMRY in my collection.

Here are the cars and drivers who raced at the Amaroo ATCC in 1993:

Mark Skaife (Commodore VP)
Jim Richards (Commodore VP)
Trevor Ashby (Commodore VP)
Peter Brock (Commodore VP)
Neil Crompton (Commodore VP)
Larry Perkins (Commodore VL)
Bob Pearson (Commodore VP)
Terry Finnigan (Commodore VN)
Mick Donaher (Commodore VL)
Glenn Mason (Commodore VL)
Chris Smerdon (Commodore VL)
Tomas Mezera (Commodore VP)
Wayne Gardner (Commodore VP)
Bob Jones (Commodore VP)
John Bowe (Falcon EB)
Dick Johnson (Falcon EB)
Glenn Seton (Falcon EB)
Alan Jones (Falcon EB)
Tony Longhurst (BMW M3)
John Blanchard (BMW M3)
Paul Morris (BMW M3)
Geoff Full (BMW M3)
Peter Doulman (BMW M3)
John Cotter (BMW M3)
John Smith (Toyota Corolla)
Colin Bond (Toyota Corolla Seca)
Mike Conway (Toyota Corolla)
Brad Stratton (Toyota Corolla)
Frank Binding (Toyota Corolla)
Ken Talbert (Toyota Corolla)

So, 30 cars in total. 13 V8 eligible cars. 5 VL's or VN's. 4 2.5 litre BMW M3's and 8 2 litre cars.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 03:17 (Ref:1368706)   #43
alfacors
Veteran

The Cotter and Doulman M3s were actually 2L engines competing in the Under 2L Championship - which Peter Doulman won.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 03:29 (Ref:1368709)   #44
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, and the four works-BMWs were competing in the outright class, as were the VL and VN Commodore's, which were eligible for what is now 'V8Supercars'.

It is very wrong to say that there were only 12 cars present under the new rules. The 1993 rules allowed 1992-spec Atmospheric cars to continue competing, along with the new 1993-regulated cars, which covered both the V8s and the 2L cars, infact 2L cars could compete in both the ATCC and their own AMC in 1994 as well.

Now who do we say won the first Group 3A Touring Car race, Tomas Mezera (won the Dash), Dick Johnson (won race 1), or John Bowe (won race 2 and the round). And shock horror, Peter Doulman can claim to have been co-leader of the Australian Touring Car Championship in 1993 in his 2L M3.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1368898)   #45
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700hp Gtr
Hey 700hp GTR,
Your uncle could sure drive. Does he still have that RX7 Sports Sedan??? He still holds the lap record at Eastern Creek for Sports Sedans -2001 to 3000 litre at 1:36:42 and that was way back in 1991 in it.

I picked up an absolute stack of motor racing programs on the weekend at a market. A couple of old Amaroo programs including the program for Sunday 9th of April 1967 which was the 1st Open meeting ever held there. So sad, oh so sad....
Old 1 Aug 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1368900)   #46
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And Gardner set a faster lap times after his front spoiler was became disloged in the second race.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 23:59 (Ref:1379492)   #47
700hp Gtr
Rookie

Kramer, i totally forgot about the fford series he did, im michael, craigs cousin.

jd yort,yep your right he is a great driver , i think terry only drove that car for the owner,he also drove the rx7 sports sedan with the sr20 nissan engine,i remember him doing a 1.31 at eastern creek for pole position in 2001?