Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Apr 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1275515)   #101
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Well I mentioned Ollie to my source and that is what they said back to me everyone..they just repeated that we would all be surprised!

Now I've been guessing as much as the rest of you but I can't come up with one either!

If it IS the bloke I saw, surprise would be the least of people's reaction imo; but then he doesn't fit the description you gave us.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1275519)   #102
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard of 2 names for the 2nd WSR seat, one was involved with TOCA but not as a driver the other is an ex cupra driver. I got to speak to one of them and if it all comes off hopes to be out at Brands.

I enjoyed Donington, the 3 BTCC races where good but 12 cars is very disappointing. Seat where disadvantaged by the extra base weight they have been given, but it was great to see TD doing so well. Fingers crossed we have some more cars by Thruxton.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1275536)   #103
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I must admit that I was beginning to think - there are a number of GOOD drivers who have never driven in the BTCC but who could fancy a return, then Clair's comment threw me
Old 11 Apr 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1275581)   #104
newoutsider
Racer

Must be the safety car driver from last year lol
Old 11 Apr 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1275584)   #105
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
My clues where, not raced for 10 years, would be a real shock...hasn't raced in the BTCC before...take it from there boys and girls....!
Heard similar mutterings last week - was also very shocked! - apparently a two year deal starting from Brands Hatch. No idea if it's kosher or not as it sounds too bizaare! Like you say - hasn't raced for a long time, driven mainly RWD in the past but has been a regular sight in the Toca enviroment... see if you can guess it folks?
Old 11 Apr 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1275587)   #106
newoutsider
Racer

and the former middle-of-grid Seat Cupra driver (with budget) replacing Collard (without budget)?
Old 11 Apr 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1275626)   #107
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This notiont aht Colalrd is short of funds is even more worrying than the current lack of cars. I'm not optimistic of seeing more than a few extra entries.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1275735)   #108
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
[sarcasm mode]
Wow! What a great idea! That would mask that the main category in the BTCC is floundering like a fish out of water... [/sacrasm mode]

It's been done before, in 2001, when even less cars were on the grid for the opening round at Brands Hatch (Seven cars!!!) so they mixed the National Saloon Car Championship into the BTCC (which had dozens of cars and fantastic racing) and then promptly dropped them like a brick when they had more manufacturers and independent teams again.

People don't like being treated like that, so why would they put their hard earned race budgets into being treated like crap somewhere down the line?

The BTCC needs to do something, quickly. The WTCC races were fantastic and had plenty of cars, including a shed load of independents. And has so much more marketing potential for manufacturers, sponsors and the fans.
I wasn't suggesting using these cars to make up the numbers behind the BTC/S2000 cars, but to be the headliners.

And rather than just alliowing 2l shopping trolly cars why not allow turbos, 3l+ engines, 4wd etc. Teams could run tuned Impreza, Evos, M3s etc.

What was wrong with the class system we had in the 80s? If the front running cars are quick and spectacular enough, like the old RS500s, people will be happy to see only a couple of manufactuers competing for overall wins.

Last edited by JAG; 11 Apr 2005 at 18:32.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1275864)   #109
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do think the BTCC has been unfortunate this year. Changing rules isn't going to make an ounce of difference I'm afraid, at the end of the day it'd be the same teams, same drivers, chasing the same money but racing a different car.

I actually believe Alan Gow when he says several teams have a bit of difficulty this year. As someone mentioned earlier, VLR were going to run two cars (but for obvious reason's can't) Arena times 2, GA, Techspeed etc.

Even counting just those teams plus what we expect from WSR and the 2nd Lexus, that would have been twenty cars.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1275895)   #110
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
True TL, but ultimately Thompson, MG (what's left of it), Varta, Chilton and Huff all chose WTCC or DTM in preference to the BTCC, and there's something in that. Teams are struggling to persuade people to back them for the country's leading racing series - one with an excellent TV deal and a good range of cars. GA and Edenbridge in particular have (or had) what should be the ideal cars for current racing, but which are hard to get competitive in today's BTCC.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1276191)   #111
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know who you saw newoutsider - Hamish Gordon. Not sure why he was hanging around with WSR and wearing the fleece, but he was loitering around their garage on several occasions last season as well.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1276194)   #112
mystery racer
Rookie

mystery racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
I know who you saw newoutsider - Hamish Gordon. Not sure why he was hanging around with WSR and wearing the fleece, but he was loitering around their garage on several occasions last season as well.
No disrespect to Hamish Gordon, but surely he can't be in line for a drive at WSR?
Old 12 Apr 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1276284)   #113
newoutsider
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves

That is the who I saw (couldn't actualy remember his name before!)
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1276358)   #114
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
If he's got money, he's in line for the drive, simple as that unfortuantely. Someone will have to fill me in on who he is, it's not a name I know.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1276391)   #115
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was marshalling this weekend for the BTCC, and I have to say there was a fair amount of surprise at the low number of cars that turned out. The racing was very good though, and Neal's move at Macleans looked fantastic from in front of the fences! Have to say that it wasn't just the BTCC sufferin from low numbers - there weren't a massive number of Cupras out, and the Clios seemes less numerous than last year as well. The two single seater series were well supported though. What surprise me was the sheer number of people who turned out to watch the racing on Sunday; I just hope that that they were able to look beyond the numbers and enjoy what was, on the whole, a very good day's racing.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1276490)   #116
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery racer
No disrespect to Hamish Gordon, but surely he can't be in line for a drive at WSR?
You'd be even more surprised at the name I heard... like I say I am not absolutely convinced myself either but the person who called me to tell me haqs never been wrong before
Old 12 Apr 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1276493)   #117
newoutsider
Racer

So if I've got all of this right:

Surprise Driver will sign a 2 year deal starting at Brands Hatch

Collard runs out of Money after Thruxton, so ANOTHER driver will take over the seat, also at Brands.

That other driver could be Hamish Gordon, well known and well connected 2003 Seat Cupra midfield runner (as it now looks like it definitley isn't my fav, OW).

Hmmmmm - don't look too promising for WSR this year then does it. But then again if it keeps the team alive for better things in 2006 then it might just be worthwhile
Old 12 Apr 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1276502)   #118
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't know about this new surprise driver - or if Collard has the funding to continue - or even if Gordon has a part to play, but what little I do know suggests that Sureterm will not be back with WSR and that Oli Wilkinson is also right out of the picture for now as well due to his lack of £££££
Old 12 Apr 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1276615)   #119
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whats the reason for no Sureterm ? Did someone mention they were still legally tied to another team (GA ??).

I heard Collard mention on TV they were on a 'free race deal' - presumably they haven't had to pay any entry fees yet.

I don't like the sound of Hamish Gordon driving for WSR either. Nice bloke, but not the fastest it seems.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1277037)   #120
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adstubbs
What surprise me was the sheer number of people who turned out to watch the racing on Sunday; I just hope that that they were able to look beyond the numbers and enjoy what was, on the whole, a very good day's racing.
The problem is that the BTCC attracts many fair weather fans who may not have been aware of the potential low grid numbers.

They will unoubtedly have been dissapointed with what they saw, and many will not return until the series improves.

The TV coverage last week would have done the series no favours as it simply highlighted to these fair weather fans that the BTCC is not really worth the effort.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1277057)   #121
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I think JAG has nailed it - the term 'fair weather fans' is a little bit unkind, as essentially the guys he refers to want to watch great racing with big fields and recognisable star drivers. In any case, they make up a big percentage of the BTCC's fanbase, and they're the guys who enjoyed the ST era, lost interest int eh transitional years, and had proabbly been won back by the excellent racing and TV coverage last year - it might take a lot to get them back again.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1277282)   #122
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I think JAG has nailed it - the term 'fair weather fans' is a little bit unkind, as essentially the guys he refers to want to watch great racing with big fields and recognisable star drivers. In any case, they make up a big percentage of the BTCC's fanbase, and they're the guys who enjoyed the ST era, lost interest int eh transitional years, and had proabbly been won back by the excellent racing and TV coverage last year - it might take a lot to get them back again.
I would consider myself a fair weather BTCC fan.

My main interest is sportscar racing but I have always been interested in the BTCC since the late 80s. The series lost me as a fan in the transition years.

I was just starting to reconsider going to my local Oulton Park event before seeing the grid at Donnington.

The DTM maybe way over the top and far too expensive for the UK, but the organisers at least realise the fans need to be entertained. Great racing alone is not enough, it is absolutely essential that the cars have the wow factor.

The Group A an ST years had this in spades.
Old 14 Apr 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1277853)   #123
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I would return to the BTCC weekend trackside if there were 20+ cars going around in each BTCC race.
I have not been shy in announcing my dislike for the current BTC regs, in terms of their "marketability" and their attractiveness to manufacturers.

I hope that when (and it must be 'when' rather than 'if') TOCA adopt the S2000 rules the series goes back to its 1994 - 1996 hay-day.
I just wish that the S2000 rules used 2.5L engines instead of 2.0L