Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Nov 2015, 00:52 (Ref:3587012)   #1
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amaroo Park

Who misses this little ball tearer of a race track!

Watching John "Lucky Nuts" Bowe episode of Legends of Motorsport , showed a bit of open wheeler action, Nissan Pulsar series and some rounds of the ATCC.

Never visited the place, but loved that Better Brakes series that was run their during the late 70's and early 80's and shown live on TV, when motor racing was a rarity on the idiot box.

The Kevin Bartlett episode showed the Mitsubishi Starion series in full swing(probably opposite lock) at Amaroo.

Seemed to be a track that allowed for some unusual passing moves, plenty of panel rubbing and some sideways action.
Old 1 Nov 2015, 01:08 (Ref:3587013)   #2
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post

Watching John "Lucky Nuts" Bowe episode of Legends of Motorsport , showed a bit of open wheeler action, Nissan Pulsar series and some rounds of the ATCC.

Never visited the place, but loved that Better Brakes series that was run their during the late 70's and early 80's and shown live on TV, when motor racing was a rarity on the idiot box.

The Kevin Bartlett episode showed the Mitsubishi Starion series in full swing(probably opposite lock) at Amaroo.

Seemed to be a track that allowed for some unusual passing moves, plenty of panel rubbing and some sideways action.
I was a regular spectator there around the mid 80's as a teenager and loved the track. Always sat at the top of the main straight and unfortunately had the displeasure of sitting only a couple of hundred metres away from a spectator who was killed/badly injured when an open wheeler flew over the fence. I believe that Peter Hopwood may have been the pilot ? Scared the crap out of us and never returned
Old 1 Nov 2015, 03:33 (Ref:3587052)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You might enjoy this then. To be released next week.

http://cmsmotorsport.com.au/shop/awesome-amaroo/
Old 1 Nov 2015, 04:31 (Ref:3587068)   #4
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like another DVD to the collection.

Didn't they run some of the Super sedans or Grand Nationals from Liverpool Speedway(when it was asphalt) at Amaroo?

Hope no one from the PC brigade was offended by the ball tearer or lucky nuts!
Old 1 Nov 2015, 05:21 (Ref:3587093)   #5
Starion13
Rookie

Starion13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track was built in a natural amphitheatre and provided really good viewing for spectators. Wasn't a fast track but some great racing and a great diversity of classes usually made for a great day out. The cars were close and the atmosphere was always good.

The ARDC were the promoters and did a great job of running the events and Channel 7 always provided excellent coverage. They were the times when privateers could race and get some reasonable value from the event.

Noise complaints ended its days.
Old 1 Nov 2015, 07:11 (Ref:3587107)   #6
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post

Here is a great Group E race between Jones & Bartlett in their Starions from 1987

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC_AtcL-SU8
Old 2 Nov 2015, 09:21 (Ref:3587428)   #7
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aaaahhh, Amaroo, the place I was introduced to motor racing as a kid.
I remember collecting autographs from all my new heroes: Brock, Johnson, Longhurst and Medieke. I remember sitting on the cliff at the final turn with all the other ARDC members including sharing sandwiches with two people that would later be in Australias first reality tv show.
I remember Blast Dynamics blowing up the lake.
I remember bullants that bit harder than a shark.
I remember being amazed at the sight and sound of the OXO sierras for the first time.
I remember a million other things, but mostly i remember being shattered when they shut it down.
Old 2 Nov 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3587437)   #8
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amaroo was THE motorsport venue in Sydney. I would say that the main track was a small part of what went on there as the other venues including a hill climb, dirt circuit and rallies run within its boundaries during the ban in NSW on rallies running on public roads. Club motorsport revolved around the place.
Old 2 Nov 2015, 23:56 (Ref:3587683)   #9
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Aaaahhh, Amaroo, the place I was introduced to motor racing as a kid.
I remember collecting autographs from all my new heroes: Brock, Johnson, Longhurst and Medieke. I remember sitting on the cliff at the final turn with all the other ARDC members including sharing sandwiches with two people that would later be in Australias first reality tv show.
Donahers?
Old 3 Nov 2015, 06:03 (Ref:3587727)   #10
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been around for a little while I can vouch for the fantastic atmosphere and quality of racing that Amaroo provided to the substantial crowd lining the rocks of the amphitheatre.
Many a sensational dice was witnessed and many a reputation was made or dashed on a regular basis.
I was fortunate to have started officiating at Catalina in 1963 and when tarmac races were ended in 1969 Amaroo was already running and had just come under control of the ARDC.The club operated Amaroo until 1998 and I missed officiating at only 2 or 3 meetings during that time - the public loved the place just like they did with Katoomba and it was common to see it full to overflowing with spectators.
Obviously lots of history and stories and I can still remember the final race, a butcher's picnic with trophies for not only the podium but for the last car to cross the line to bring the barrier down on what was a sensational track and era in motorsport.
As Casper has noted the venue was more than just a racetrack with other types of activities available including a mean dirt circuit that always provided plenty of action.
For a while both Amaroo and SMSP (Eastern Creek) were operating and it was a shock to go from a tight little track to the more open nature of the creek and the lack of spectators.
Now only EC/SMSP remains with Oran Park having been a casualty of the urban sprawl and hopefully with its zoning and State Govt ownership it will hang around for a while. Bathurst Regional Council is keener than ever to promote Mount Panorama as a developing motor sport hub so God's own country looks to be safe !!!
Old 3 Nov 2015, 06:43 (Ref:3587733)   #11
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Catalina, start a lap with good visibility and by the time you finished it you needed fog lights and a seeing eye dog.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3587773)   #12
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Catalina, start a lap with good visibility and by the time you finished it you needed fog lights and a seeing eye dog.
Another ripper of a circuit-some competitors would race at Oran Park due to its open spaces but would not race there as it was too dangerous-spin and you either hit a rockface, timber fence, fell into the swamp or got cleaned up by another car.
The fog was an interesting hazard and made flagging difficult - never really experienced bad fog at Amaroo but The Mount is renowned for it.

Once again plenty of history and stories and the start of some great careers for some notable drivers.

Could almost do with its own thread.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 21:18 (Ref:3587922)   #13
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176 View Post
Donahers?
Indeed.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 03:38 (Ref:3795898)   #14
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's your chance to own a piece of Amaroo Park:

https://www.mcgrath.com.au/buy/land/...angrove/366549
Old 28 Jan 2018, 04:05 (Ref:3795908)   #15
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't look like decommissioning Amaroo park did much in the way of resolving the Sydney housing crisis.

How many homes did they fit in it's place - 2 or 3?
Old 21 Apr 2018, 00:42 (Ref:3816719)   #16
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Story here on Oran Park these days - another Sydney race track that is now housing development.

Still drawing a crowd after all these years......

You've got to hand it to the Perich family, they are astute operators.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3816795)   #17
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I used to go a lot. I remember being there one very hot and sunny day in the 80s. No shade on the hill, and only 1 little caravan run by two old ladies selling burgers and coke (very slowly). The line was a mile long! I ended up in hospital with heat stroke and extreme sunburn (Im a pale-freckly red hair git) so the spectator facilities were lacking. I think oran was a better venue.

But you could see nearly the whole track and pits, and it produced some great racing and always had lots of different classes. So it was worth it. Sorry it had to go
Old 28 May 2018, 08:33 (Ref:3825163)   #18
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Had a good walk around Catalina Park today. Something about being able to walk around a overgrown racetrack with only the rusting Armco to show it actually was a circuit all those decades ago. So quiet. Almost eerie. Cannot imagine throwing a race car around there even in its prime but it would’ve been a blast.

Interestingly the info boards onsite mention a lot of races cancelled by rain and fog and the local racing club suffering financially after the track opening.
Old 28 May 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3825187)   #19
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oran Park was just fantastic. I recall taking a sneaky wee on the outside of Turn 2 in the wilderness and a snake popped out to say "Gidday mate". How that No.1 nearly became a No.2.

A cool race track that is greatly missed. Sadly, the Perich family haven't replaced it in any shape or form.
Old 29 May 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3825434)   #20
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Sadly, the Perich family haven't replaced it in any shape or form.
From what I was told (second hand), they wanted government help to replace it but the money went to Homebush and SMP instead, so they pulled the pin.
Old 29 May 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3825436)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The story I was told was that the Government was to assist in appropriately re-zoning a vast area of land to build said replacement, but they bailed on the idea.
Old 6 Feb 2021, 08:13 (Ref:4033704)   #22
Kingair
Veteran

Been watching a few DVD’s on this track, what a great little circuit which always seemed to provide spectacular racing, shame we have lost it to suburbia.

Didn’t matter if it was open wheelers, sports sedans or touring cars they provide the spectator with top notch racing, not to mention plenty of panel rubbing and some big accidents.
Old 6 Feb 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4033715)   #23
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Story here on Oran Park these days - another Sydney race track that is now housing development.

Still drawing a crowd after all these years......

You've got to hand it to the Perich family, they are astute operators.
It was no secret that OP was always going to have a limited life even in the 1970's. I think the story of the owners building another track was just a that, a story made up by someone to give everyone hope. I said at the time that there would never be another track built in the Sydney basin and was told I did not know what I was talking about because the Perich family were going to do it at Picton near the Hume Highway intersection with Picton Road. Seeing that there was already residential development happening in that area a new circuit was never going to happen.

The loss of Amaroo Park was a major blow to motorsport in Sydney and largely contributed to the slow death of car clubs in Sydney and nearby regions. The multi use complex was perhaps the best of its type in Australia and when the rally ban was on it was the only place to compete. Anyone who went down the hill climb access road at speed would know what the word terror means.
Old 6 Feb 2021, 22:03 (Ref:4033773)   #24
Kingair
Veteran

Another thing that stands out from watching the DVD, is the crowd numbers and the continuous track improvements over the years.

RIP Amaroo Park
Old 7 Feb 2021, 22:08 (Ref:4033898)   #25
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It was no secret that OP was always going to have a limited life even in the 1970's. I think the story of the owners building another track was just a that, a story made up by someone to give everyone hope. I said at the time that there would never be another track built in the Sydney basin and was told I did not know what I was talking about because the Perich family were going to do it at Picton near the Hume Highway intersection with Picton Road. Seeing that there was already residential development happening in that area a new circuit was never going to happen.

The loss of Amaroo Park was a major blow to motorsport in Sydney and largely contributed to the slow death of car clubs in Sydney and nearby regions. The multi use complex was perhaps the best of its type in Australia and when the rally ban was on it was the only place to compete. Anyone who went down the hill climb access road at speed would know what the word terror means.
Perich family were serious about a replacement but you can bet Govt was not happy without a controlling interest, photo opportunity etc!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...20-gdo7ro.html