Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jun 2004, 11:41 (Ref:997162)   #1
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC Cadwell Park

It is the VSCC's annual trip to Cadwell Park on Sunday. As ever a terrific set of races are planned - lets just hope that the weather is kinder than last years torrential downpour.

See you there? Mrs B and I will be there from the Saturday night if we survive (I'm navigating so we'll probably be close to Wales by then) the Eastern Rally.

Duncan

Last edited by BugEyed; 8 Jun 2004 at 11:43.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 12:33 (Ref:997237)   #2
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We won't be there this year, more's the pity. It is the best circuit IMHO on the VSCC calendar so we are really disappointed. I shall miss breaking down on your post

Have a good time, on both events
Old 8 Jun 2004, 17:23 (Ref:997554)   #3
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Us Marshals are looking forward to seeing you all at Cadwell this year.

Plenty of space on the bank for anyone at a loose end!
Old 8 Jun 2004, 17:25 (Ref:997556)   #4
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Alas I have had to scratch because the Brooklands is somewhat poorly as a consequence of her endeavours at the weekend. We also have taken the decision to retire our Riley from the vintage racing car races for the time being. Without smaller capacity vintage racing cars or historic vintage racing specials to have fun with, there is no point in risking the old girl in the forlorn hope of hanging onto much faster cars. I just hope that the Club devises a structure that encourages vintage Amilcars, Alvises, Salmsons, Austins, Bug T37s, Alfa 1750s and other Riley Brooklands etc. to participate once again in these races.

To be frank I don't think our car will be missed as it is not a prestigious make and is not spectacular like the larger capacity vintage specials.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 07:36 (Ref:998110)   #5
Chris Roden
Racer

Ranter
Sorry to read about your misfortune with the Brooklands and that you won't be at Cadwell. Hope she is soon back in rude health.

You decision to retire her is entirely understandable, particularly as you have other toys to play with.
Your claim that you will not be missed is IMHO entirely wrong. It was always good fun watching you harry the quicker cars, great spectator entertainment, and a delight to see a car like yours being used.

Perhaps the "boardroom" upheavals will bring changes, to the structure of future race meetings, that will bring cars like yours back out, it is about time.

See you at Mallory no doubt

Last edited by Chris Roden; 9 Jun 2004 at 07:39.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 07:47 (Ref:998117)   #6
BugEyed
Racer

Ranter

Your Brooklands will be sadly missed at VSCC events if you stick to the decision to retire it.

As I don't race I'm not in a position to criticise anybody else for choosing not to enter an original car. However, I think that it is a sad day when the structure of the Club's races results in original racing cars staying in the garage. I have to admit that some of the larger engined specials can be more "dramatic", but often the closest and most exciting racing (as opposed to the proximity to an accident) is to be found amongst the smaller cars.

We hope that we'll still see you at Cadwell despite having to scratch!

Duncan

PS Chris - "Boardroom upheavals" is a bit strong, but I hope that your sentiments about a return to original cars is met. I look forward to the Committee going public on their strategy for racing in the future so that we can all pull behind it.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 08:23 (Ref:998138)   #7
Chris Roden
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by BugEyed
Ranter
PS Chris - "Boardroom upheavals" is a bit strong, but I hope that your sentiments about a return to original cars is met. I look forward to the Committee going public on their strategy for racing in the future so that we can all pull behind it.
Duncan,
Fair comment on the upheaval bit, you are quite right, perhaps I should avoid a tabloid journalism approach in future

On the strategy, agree totally, but surely we should push behind rather than pull
Old 9 Jun 2004, 09:05 (Ref:998170)   #8
BugEyed
Racer

Perhaps my confusion with pushing and pulling explains why I wave flags rather than "help" in assembly or on the startline! I guess that I'd end up getting run over.

The two retirements both seem very natural - one is a fixed term office (carried out galantly in trying circumstances by a long-standing Committee member) and the other has put in a long and valuable free service to the club. I look forward to their replacements publishing their stategies for taking the club forward.

See you at Mallory.

Duncan
Old 9 Jun 2004, 10:02 (Ref:998207)   #9
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there on Saturday evening ready to wave flags on Sunday. On the "Ranter question" - yes its a pity that he feels the need to retire the Riley from racing for the time being. One of the reasons I marshal is so that he and his ilk can go racing and enjoy themselves - I'd hate to think that we ended up purely with big budget racers and no original cars.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:15 (Ref:998550)   #10
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Dear all,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will continue to race the Brooklands but not in vintage racing cars races for the time being...my suggestion is that the Club needs to encourage some of the old cars back and to do this there needs to be a rethink re awards and implementing classes into feature races. What fun to have a load of Salmsons, Rileys, Austins etc bickering with some of the slower Bugs and Alfas for example.

On the other place Croden has suggested a fantasy meeting. Here are my thoughts...

"What a gem of an idea...

Venue

Yes it has to be a circuit with pre-war history so Donington it is (and it is actually a good circuit for our cars).

Races...only pre-war cars.

Race 1
Clubman's handicap - 5 lap
Race 2
Edwardian race 8 laps with pitstop
Race 3
Clubman's 5 lap scratch for large capacity specials
Race 4
Vintage racing car race over 12 laps incorporating classes for standard, modified and specials...plus capacity awards. Main awards only to cars with period history
Race 5
Morgan 3 wheelers 5 laps
Race 6
Prewar sports cars with pitstops and driver changes. Endurance race so 1 hour duration (each driver must be racing for at least 20 mins). Teams must be formed in relation to makes and or models. Again lots of awards for standard, modified and specials (the latter only get in if undersubscribed. Also handicap element but run as scratch event.
Race 7
Clubman's handicap 5 lap
Race 8
Pre-war racing car race over 12 laps incorporating classes for standard, modified and specials...plus capacity awards. Main awards only to cars with period history. Vintage racing cars can enter to ensure strong field
Race 9
Clubman's scratch for small capacity cars 5 laps. Specials welcome

Race 10
The run whatever you brung race...anything pre-war. Duration race of 15 mins or 20 if time permits.

Main paddock to be clear of motorhomes and transporters. Trailers to be parked in dedicated area. Awnings permitted but cars to be 'on show'. Tender cars to be parked to the rear in each row of the paddock.

Driver of the day award.
Fastest lap of the day award.
Big prize for person who drives the furthest and competes."

In short getting back to a true VSCC event. Surely we can have one meeting that is pre-war (and remember I'm far from anti post-war cars) and also one where the clubman gets the chance to have a good crack of the whip.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:32 (Ref:998569)   #11
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Main paddock to be clear of motorhomes and transporters. Trailers to be parked in dedicated area. Awnings permitted but cars to be 'on show'. Tender cars to be parked to the rear in each row of the paddock."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Silverstone last weekend was dreadful - an entry of over 500 each of which seemed to need the back-up of a F1 team meant that it was impossible to spot any proper cars. The commentator was amazed that some of the vintage cars were actually DRIVEN to the circuit.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 16:29 (Ref:998629)   #12
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Well we parked our two Volvos to the rear of the cars and once Dad cleared all the oil from off the concrete we moved the Cooper and the Riley forwards close to an ERA but on the other side was a big transporter. I saw one person visit it all weekend!!!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1001195)   #13
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by blackhands
"Main paddock to be clear of motorhomes and transporters. Trailers to be parked in dedicated area. Awnings permitted but cars to be 'on show'. Tender cars to be parked to the rear in each row of the paddock."
In other words "Goodwood rules", then bh!

Not a bad idea, though, at least in paddocks that would benefit from it (e.g. Cadwell). The VS and HS in particular should be able to put on a decent display of cars (and by display I mean just lining them up in broadly related groups). If you've been to the Revival (whether as competitor or spectator, you'll know that Lord March's team have got it sussed, and specatators really stop and have a look at your pride & joy.

Back on topic, we'll be at Cadwell in the 500F3s (Neil Hodges - "Swedish" yellow & blue Cooper MkVIII), and look forward to seeing some of you.
Old 13 Jun 2004, 00:34 (Ref:1002172)   #14
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop Ranter

We also have taken the decision to retire our Riley from the vintage racing car races for the time being. Without smaller capacity vintage racing cars or historic vintage racing specials to have fun with, there is no point in risking the old girl in the forlorn hope of hanging onto much faster cars. I just hope that the Club devises a structure that encourages vintage Amilcars, Alvises, Salmsons, Austins, Bug T37s, Alfa 1750s and other Riley Brooklands etc. to participate once again in these races.

This was one of the main reasons for my recent sale of the T44, the only good dices I seemed to have were with Claire F's Yellow peril A7, the Toy.

Last edited by eclectic; 13 Jun 2004 at 00:35.

Steve McQueen.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 03:35 (Ref:1003094)   #15
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Ecletic

Won't selll...just hope that the Club sees the opportunity to encourage more vintage racers with smaller capacity engines.

By the way did you get the message that I sent?

All the best
Old 14 Jun 2004, 08:34 (Ref:1003203)   #16
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Yes and I replied at the time, a second e-mail is now in the system. It was a wrench to sell the T44, but it represents too much capital to keep it just use to drive to the local bistro/cafe'.

I fully agree about the VSCC, however IMHO our new president, Martin Grant-Peterkin is just the man we need, I have known him since he was the VSCC Comp Sec circa 1980! He certainly has the ability to get the Club back on track to serve the Clubmen at the base of the pyramid rather than massaging the ego of a certain senior member and his Ferrari pampering friends.

Last edited by eclectic; 14 Jun 2004 at 08:36.

Steve McQueen.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1003540)   #17
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Here is a copy of the press release from the VSCC.

A statement regarding the serious incident at VSCC Cadwell Park Race Meeting 13.06.2004

14 Jun

"CADWELL PARK RACE MEETING SUNDAY 13 JUNE 2004

On Sunday 13 June 2004, the Vintage Sports-Car Club organised The Shuttleworth and Nuffield Trophies race meeting under Motor Sports Association Permit at Cadwell Park, Nr Louth, Lincolnshire.

In the course of the final race a serious collision occurred involving two cars that then struck a marshalling post.

The incident was attended by the on-track medical facilities and Lincolnshire County Air Ambulance. Tragically, one of the drivers, Len Thompson, aged 64 of Stebbing, Essex, was pronounced dead on arrival at The Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital, Grimsby. The other driver, Pete Candy, aged 65 of Bournemouth was taken by air ambulance to Lincoln County Hospital suffering from multiple broken bones. Local marshal, Bob Yarrow of Scunthorpe suffered a broken ankle in the incident.

Investigations into the cause of this accident will be subject to the local police and Coroner's enquiries. In accordance with this, no further comment can be made by the VSCC."

My thoughts are with the families of all those concerned.

This is all the more shocking for the extreme rarity of serious accidents in VSCC racing. I have been an active member for 25 years and cannot recall any fatality caused by a racing accident.

Last edited by eclectic; 14 Jun 2004 at 13:01.

Steve McQueen.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1003558)   #18
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Yes a tragic day and I know so many have expressed their condolences and heartfelt concerns for all those involved, especially the families. It is very tragic because, as Eclectic, notes VSCC racing is relatively safe.

My thoughts are with all those involved.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1003572)   #19
Chris Roden
Racer

It is difficult to come up with the right words to express how Tina & I feel at the moment.
All those involved have our sympathy.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1003590)   #20
Queen
Veteran

England
North Lincolnshire
Queen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridQueen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Our deepest sympathy to all involved
From all at post four.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1003665)   #21
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With condolences & sympathy to all involved.

A sad end to what was a good days racing in the sunshine.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1003689)   #22
Graham Read
Rookie

Graham Read should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was present at the meeting yesterday with my wife covering the meeting for Autosport magazine and we both wish to offer our condolences and sympathy to all involved. It was indeed a very sad end to an excellent afternoon's racing in glorious weather.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 20:46 (Ref:1004021)   #23
jwd
Rookie

jwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a marshal at the event, I am finding it hard to express how sad I am that a fellow member and enthusiast has lost a life.
Sympathy, thoughts and condolences to all concerned.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 07:24 (Ref:1004325)   #24
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to join my name with all the comments above
Tony Hodson
Old 15 Jun 2004, 07:51 (Ref:1004344)   #25
BugEyed
Racer

Mrs B and I also wish to send our thoughts and condolences to the family of Len Thompson. We also wish a full and speedy recovery to Pete Candy and Bob Yarrow.

The incident was a sad end to an otherwise superb race meeting, and puts everything else into a different perspective. It is also being discussed in the Marshals Forum.

Duncan