Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Aug 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3842557)   #1591
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
My Son-in-Law has, reportedly, just ordered an E-Class estate (not sure which engine - but 200 or 220) on a personal hire plan at what seems to be a remarkably good deal for a PF plan.

His 4 year BMW 5 series lease is about to end and a recent job change has added to his commute distance. One wonders if they are trying to shift production ahead of regulatory changes that will make them unsellable.

More impressively the engine output claims for the 200 is 150 bhp and the 220 185 (from memory), Yet with the 9 speed auto box the performance figures are better than my Saab Aero original specification despite it's solid and well proven turbo technology and 250 bhp.

It's not like the E-class is smaller or lighter so they must have come up with some very interesting ways of completely maxing the performance through the gearbox and traction and engine response/torque map to obtain those numbers.

Does anyone have any insights about how they have done it?
Modern turbo diesels have spectacularly high torque figures, usually at low engine speeds, but often also come with narrow power bands. By carefluuy matching the engine to a multi-speed, electronically controlled transmission does enable them to keep the engine in the 'sweet spot' for optimum acceleration.
Old 9 Aug 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3842561)   #1592
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Modern turbo diesels have spectacularly high torque figures, usually at low engine speeds, but often also come with narrow power bands. By carefluuy matching the engine to a multi-speed, electronically controlled transmission does enable them to keep the engine in the 'sweet spot' for optimum acceleration.

Thanks Viva.

Even relatively modest cars seem to be adding a gear a year to their 'boxes.

We should probably expect that soon someone will invent something called continuously variable transmission (unless that has already been patented by the TV broadcasters ....)

Old 9 Aug 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3842564)   #1593
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Thanks Viva.

Even relatively modest cars seem to be adding a gear a year to their 'boxes.

We should probably expect that soon someone will invent something called continuously variable transmission (unless that has already been patented by the TV broadcasters ....)

Some would say that's a DAF(t) idea...
Old 9 Aug 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3842568)   #1594
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Boom boom
Old 9 Aug 2018, 18:13 (Ref:3842571)   #1595
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
Is this a knock on from F1 technology? The F1 cars are remarkably efficient and of course have multiple semi automatic gears.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Aug 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3842572)   #1596
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic car chassis stamping

My Lotus Cortina is now with the painters and hopefully will soon be ready for assembly. What I need is the vin number restamped on the O/S top suspension strut. Does anyone offer this service as we have welded new suspension tops in and, yes as I was told today, I should have stamped them before I welded them in.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 9 Aug 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3842578)   #1597
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
My Lotus Cortina is now with the painters and hopefully will soon be ready for assembly. What I need is the vin number restamped on the O/S top suspension strut. Does anyone offer this service as we have welded new suspension tops in and, yes as I was told today, I should have stamped them before I welded them in.
When I needed the same on a Mk2 RS2000 I found a guy on eBay who had the correct stamps, but..... I had to send him the new strut reinforcing plate and the old one to copy. Guess the Lotus, being made in the UK and many years earlier, would need different stamps anyway? Might be a question for an owners club forum.....
Old 9 Aug 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3842581)   #1598
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Is this a knock on from F1 technology? The F1 cars are remarkably efficient and of course have multiple semi automatic gears.
I donít think so. Think most F1 have seven speed boxes, but donít have a torque converter....? As Viva says, likely more to do with getting lowest emissions figures- thatís what itís all been about in the last few years, often at the expense of economy. 9 speed torque converter autos commonplace now, but dual clutch boxes donít utilise so many ratios. Probably a packaging issue!
Old 9 Aug 2018, 22:25 (Ref:3842634)   #1599
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Or trucks?
Old 10 Aug 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3842811)   #1600
Gerard C
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grant, dont you think the CVT transmission has already been used on town cars, like some Fiat or Ford? The double clutch thing is a copy of what Ferrari used on its F1 a decade or more ago, cleverly adapted by VW group (may be the first car was the Touran 2.0 TDI DSG, not sure).
Its funny to know how some selected people can spy the competition with a simple tape recorder placed along any pitlane…

As to the stamping man on eBay, seems he can copy any year stamps. He can either supply the reinforcing plate or stamp yours before welding of course. What a man did can be redone by another man!
Old 10 Aug 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3842821)   #1601
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Quote:
Or trucks?
I hope F1 cars aren't as slow changing gear as my truck, you have to time pulling out on roundabouts or side roads as it nearly comes to a standstill when changing up in the lower gears. That's a Volvo, I'm supposed to be getting a new Daf next week which I know is even worse.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3842834)   #1602
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I hope F1 cars aren't as slow changing gear as my truck, you have to time pulling out on roundabouts or side roads as it nearly comes to a standstill when changing up in the lower gears. That's a Volvo,I'm supposed to be getting a new Daf next week which I know is even worse.
Does the DAF use the same box, Tim? I was told before buying my Vovo that it Ďwas all about the softwareí. Agree about the roundabout thing- had to get used to other road users needing to be patient! Someoneís done a dual clutch truck gearbox but it was suggested to me that only advantage is small improvement in emissions and in fuel consumption, not drivability.....
Old 10 Aug 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3842847)   #1603
Colin McKay
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Volvo I-shift has always been the one to have, far superior to others in terms of rapid gear selection. They also offer a twin clutch box which is all very nice, but at a considerable cost & weight premium. Apart from bragging rights the only real advantage is on the really heavy stuff or off road applications where the uninterrupted supply of power keeps you moving and is more sympathetic to the rest of the drivetrain. In normal road applications it's a bit OTT. As far as I know it's only available in Volvo's own trucks Mike, but maybe in Renault as well now? I think DAF and others have persevered with the ZF box and of course Mercedes have their own which I understand is much better now than it was when I last ran a Merc. It was because of that box (and Merc's inability to sort it out) that I never bought another one.

Last edited by Colin McKay; 10 Aug 2018 at 19:30.
Old 10 Aug 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3842857)   #1604
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Does the DAF use the same box, Tim? I was told before buying my Vovo that it ‘was all about the software’.
If it's not the same it's very similar but as you say, it seems to be about the software controlling it. I once had a rental Merc with the same idea, one day it all went tits up and wouldn't rev above 900rpm. When they came down to sort it they said I'd over revved it and the ECU had gone into derate. It wasn't actually possible to over rev the thing and strangely enough it was a lot better when they re-programmed the box, and it also gained an extra reverse gear making four speeds in reverse instead of three.

Colin, I've driven three different versions of the I shift and the one I have now is the best but I find it better to pull away using manual selection for the first couple of changes then shift to fully auto. The big advantage for our type of work is that this one has had the same clutch for three years where a proper manual was going through one every year or so, one only lasted three months due to the monkeys in our firm fitting it incorrectly.
Old 11 Aug 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3842933)   #1605
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My old 1834 1991 Merc Box has never missed a beat . O dear what av I said . We did have a problem a couple of years ago but that was all down to Alternator over charging .