Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Aug 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2948843)   #1
boyracer019
Rookie

boyracer019 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All Electric Racing

Could this be the future of sports car racing?

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/1009778...811&email=true

Apologies - did not know where to put the thread
Old 31 Aug 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2948845)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer019 View Post
Could this be the future of sports car racing?
Not if they want anyone to actually pay attention to it.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2948912)   #3
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not yet. But if they can extend the battery life, or get this working, I don't see why not in the future.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2948935)   #4
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blah Blah too quiet Blah Blah was better in the old days (ignoring the fact that electric cars predate petrol) Blah Blah confusing global warming with the local temperature Blah Blah left wing conspiracy

Last edited by courageous; 31 Aug 2011 at 17:04.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2948973)   #5
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Blah Blah too quiet Blah Blah was better in the old days (ignoring the fact that electric cars predate petrol) Blah Blah confusing global warming with the local temperature Blah Blah left wing conspiracy
Yes, and August was colder than what some other Augusts have been too - cast iron proof its all a do-gooder myth.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2949115)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer019 View Post
Could this be the future of sports car racing
If so , Im gone fishin !!!
Old 1 Sep 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2949265)   #7
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope to god it's not.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2949284)   #8
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All those electric cars are absolute rubbish. You just bring air pollution from streets to the areas where power plants are situated. So it's absolute useless.
The other way - energy recovery with highly efficient turbo engines. This is the future.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2949422)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Y'all DO know there IS already an Electric Car Race Series??? More demo than anything else this year, but...
http://www.evcup.com/EVCUP-English/race-schedule-2
See the Paul Drayson Thread for details...
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129276

Though I do note the loss of the European season, and the 2 US rounds now kicking things off.

Last edited by Tim the Grey; 1 Sep 2011 at 13:33. Reason: Accuracy...
Old 3 Sep 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2950368)   #10
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What we need are methane powered piston engined cars. We can pour in the horsesh_t and cow manure, race cars and clean up the environment in one fell swoop. Bah to electric.

DK
Old 4 Sep 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2950608)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My God - the nose of that thing is just sooooooooooooo offensive! It's like watching an aerodynamic milf float. After listening to the glorious sound of the McLaren Honda (watched Senna again last night), the phrase 'chalk and cheese' just doesn't do justice - it's almost an insult to the 'Ring......

Can any of you guys seriously envisage going to a meeting to watch an entrire field of those things? Can you imagine Le Mans.....? The thought is just too hideous to contemplate....

And yes, I am an old traditionalist and I and others are perfectly entitled to be - before we're accused of not looking ahead to the future.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2950618)   #12
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
My God - the nose of that thing is just sooooooooooooo offensive! It's like watching an aerodynamic milf float. After listening to the glorious sound of the McLaren Honda (watched Senna again last night), the phrase 'chalk and cheese' just doesn't do justice - it's almost an insult to the 'Ring......

Can any of you guys seriously envisage going to a meeting to watch an entrire field of those things? Can you imagine Le Mans.....? The thought is just too hideous to contemplate....

And yes, I am an old traditionalist and I and others are perfectly entitled to be - before we're accused of not looking ahead to the future.
Hey man i'm with you. Why on earth would I want to hear nothing when i could hear a V12?

Maybe people need to realise that car guys watch motorsport. Not hippies.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2950619)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's like watching an aerodynamic milf float
Sounds interesting!

Quote:
Agreed, and why would anyone support a future we're just not interested in?
Old 4 Sep 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2950741)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
Hey man i'm with you. Why on earth would I want to hear nothing when i could hear a V12?

Maybe people need to realise that car guys watch motorsport. Not hippies.
Quite simply many car guys can no longer afford to run anything performance related, at that point motorsport and performance motoring become redundant. In the latest Evo it states UK 5-series sales stand at 7210, of those 5934 are of the base 520d with only 51 550i's sold.

Future performance levels won't reduce, they'll simply be achieved using fewer resources and reduced costs. Neither will all cars use one form of motive power, not to mention variations of each type. Afterall you wouldn't lump together a 6.0 V12 and 1.0 4-cylinder as one and the same.

Developments in the motoring world seem to be accelerating, when you look back at something as recent as the mid-'90's they look accient.

Last edited by JAG; 4 Sep 2011 at 16:40.
Old 4 Sep 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2950808)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Developments in the motoring world seem to be accelerating, when you look back at something as recent as the mid-'90's they look accient.

Not necessarily on looks - you only have to glance at your avatar to know that......
Old 4 Sep 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2950809)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Sounds interesting!
Wow, that was some Freudian slip.......
Old 5 Sep 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2951255)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Well it looks like Drayson / Lola are about to launch an all electric LMP
Old 5 Sep 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2951264)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As with all new tehnology, it has to improve upon, or at least match, what's already available.

Being the best electric cars means little, competing on a level playing field with petrol and diesel engined cars will be a milestone.
Old 5 Sep 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2951286)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
And frankly, one I never want to see......
Old 5 Sep 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2951321)   #20
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The day major international Motorsport. I.e Sports cars, GT racing etc becomes all electric is the day I will mourn the loss of Motorsport. Some people might get tired of the whole argument of electric cars being silent, but 95% of motorsport fans, including myself are there for the noise, the sights and the smell.

I love it when I get to a race and your ears fill with engine noise, whether it be a touring cars growling 4 cylinder or the uncontained fury of a Corvette C6R. I also love the smell of race engine, hot exhaust and burnt rubber and coming home and stinking of horsepower. Just remember, most of that will be gone with all electric racing. Most importantly though, the atmosphere would be lost and if that's gone then what is the point.
Old 5 Sep 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2951327)   #21
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

What would be the worst case scenario?
Something like a DeltaWing class replacing LMP1 and fully electric cars replacing GTs?
Just imagine the horror...
Old 5 Sep 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2951346)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
And frankly, one I never want to see......
The day development is restricted and motorsport becomes nothing more than contrived entertainment is the day the sport dies.

IMO, the coming decades will be the most interesting in the history of sportcar racing. The battle between different power plants, some of which will be little more than concepts at this stage, will be a battle royale. What many ignore are those at the heart of these developments are the very people responsible for the greatest cars of the last thirty years. They'll continue to strive to make something quicker and more exciting than what went before.

When attempts are made to artificially capture motorsport history, i.e GA's interpretation of a modern GTP, the results are never satisying. Even those great Group C and GTP cars aren't half as exciting in historic competition because it was the eagerness to see what's coming next that was those series greatest appeal.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2952560)   #23
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Blimey. Energy Recovering DAMPERS? That one I hadn't thought of...

http://www.lola-group.com/newsstory.asp?NewsId=359