Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Apr 2021, 22:51 (Ref:4046632)   #151
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more I hear from Adderton, the higher on the Flog scale he achieves
Old 21 Apr 2021, 06:17 (Ref:4047002)   #152
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
The more I hear from Adderton, the higher on the Flog scale he achieves
as far as I am concerned he's already achieved ultimate flog status.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 09:06 (Ref:4047028)   #153
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
25 years ago the fanbase didn’t like him anyway as he was involved in Super Touring....

Everyone bangs on about how Supercars is a business.... why WOULDNT anyone want a businessman like Peter Adderton owning it?
Old 21 Apr 2021, 23:01 (Ref:4047187)   #154
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Everyone bangs on about how Supercars is a business.... why WOULDNT anyone want a businessman like Peter Adderton owning it?
Fair point and no question that he's been very successful with his main business.

There'd have to be concerns over his flakiness in public comments and whether that transfers to flakiness in running a motor sport business I guess - he's regarded as being pretty off the wall in motor sport circles.

He himself doesn't think that he can make it work with a minority shareholder group, so to me he ain't the right person if he genuinely believes that.

Not convinced that he'd be less good than Archer though - they simply don't seem to have come to terms with the business and what it needs, even after all these years - at least Mr Adderton has an appreciation for the sport.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 23:03 (Ref:4047188)   #155
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We need someone who knows what’s best for the sport. Otherwise there’s no point. Someone who can make it profitable without alienating the fans. Hopefully Peter can do that, fingers crossed. There needs to be a fair trade off between sport and business and at least Peter seems clued in with regards to the sport
Old 22 Apr 2021, 20:34 (Ref:4047394)   #156
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Because he's another Gore-type who puts his own interests before that of the entire sport.

Can you remember how competitive the Super Touring series was when Adderton was an owner?
Old 22 Jun 2021, 05:17 (Ref:4057702)   #157
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recent discussion about Archer Capital & Supercars:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...41e9ee32aa6e50

... Supercars .... where private equity outfit Archer Capital is trying to offload its majority stake.

Archer has an information memorandum doing the rounds for the competition, which does roughly $20m in annual pre-tax earnings.

Four or five parties have kicked the tyres on the investment, in a process being run by Miles Advisory.
But the glory days are well and truly over in terms of Archer’s value.

It paid $180m for its 65 per cent ....
One source said it might only get $30m-$35m, but another thought it could double that.

As always, complicating matters are the owners of the Supercars teams themselves, who own just about all of the remaining 35 per cent of shares.

There are said to be “drag and tag along” provisions in the contract between Archer and the teams, effectively meaning the teams may have to be bought out at the same value that Archer would theoretically sell its shareholding at.
That is said to have proven to be a stumbling block in previous attempts by Archer to sell out.
Old 22 Jun 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4057749)   #158
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That's interesting. Supercars is a great series, I just it continues to be in the right hands. I don't want it sold to the wrong hands. I just hope a company that understands the sport is part of it.

I can see why Archer are selling, they aren't getting the profit. It seemed they would do well when they bought it and now they need to get what it can out of it. We'll see

I just hope the Supercars team owners have their say in it as well, they don't want their series sold down the river to some company that don't care about the sport

I just hope it gets resolved in good time and with what is best for the series and the teams. The series is great, but it needs a sustainable future. There should hopefully reasons for optimism
Old 22 Jun 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4057753)   #159
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can see why Archer are selling, they aren't getting the profit. It seemed they would do well when they bought it and now they need to get what it can out of it.
$20m annual return off a $180m investment?
11.1%pa pre tax is pretty handy when term deposit rates are mostly sub 1% pa
And yes, the return gap is at least partially reflective of the additional risk in running an enterprise & creating something rather than letting money die in a bank…

How many boats can you waterski behind??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Jun 2021, 22:07 (Ref:4057802)   #160
S griffin
Veteran

It shows they didn’t think it through. And it seemed such a good idea at the time. Time for them to go. It’s clear they didn’t do enough and should focus their energies elsewhere
Old 23 Jun 2021, 01:37 (Ref:4057814)   #161
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
11.1% return might make Archer happy.
I'm not as good at numbers as you GTR but does that mean the 35% share that the teams own returns $10.7m/year?

Not a lot across that number of players for the cash they tip in...
And that's before Mr Frydenberg takes his slice.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 23 Jun 2021, 02:25 (Ref:4057816)   #162
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought that someone had pointed out to them how CVC was leveraging their investment in F1 and they could do the same with SC. CVC for those who did not follow the story gained an income from F1 but the biggest game for them was borrowing against the asset and then selling F1 with the debt. In other words they got the money, flogged the F1 franchise so they did not have to pay it back and they got the money they sold F1 for. As others pointed out having a loss making division can be very handy at tax time especially if it was never going to have a big ROI anyway. We sold a company at a big loss and never shed a tear.
Old 23 Jun 2021, 04:42 (Ref:4057818)   #163
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very Very Interesting read in speedcafe !
Old 23 Jun 2021, 05:47 (Ref:4057823)   #164
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Very Very Interesting read in speedcafe !
Here's a link to the read you're referring to. Interesting times ahead by the sound of it.
Old 23 Jun 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4057834)   #165
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They do talk it up....five groups vying to buy it......More likely a bit of interest has been shown and a bit of editorial name dropping done to make the article more appealing. Looking from the outside in, where they get the potential sales figures from is a mystery, the numbers don't gel at all from an ROI perspective and the uncertainty of motor sport in the future. I think someone is dreaming TTTT, supporting that is the trouble they have had unloading it in the last few years.
Old 23 Jun 2021, 08:36 (Ref:4057840)   #166
cavvy
Veteran

Who knows ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
I'm not as good at numbers as you GTR but does that mean the 35% share that the teams own returns $10.7m/year?

Articles read (to me) the return on Archers $investment.

A very astute business man in Garry Rogers handed back his RECs, & the likes of the owners of Tickford are very successful.

Archer have had the 'for sale' sign out for some time, its prepared to take a loss, Supercars is as attractive as it can be NOW.

Last edited by cavvy; 23 Jun 2021 at 08:40. Reason: theres more
Old 23 Jun 2021, 11:17 (Ref:4057873)   #167
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With sale, means change...maybe, especially if 1 group grabs it and gives it a boost.
Old 24 Jun 2021, 02:07 (Ref:4057933)   #168
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Because he's another Gore-type who puts his own interests before that of the entire sport.
Wasn’t Gore considered an asset to have involved in the series when he had a team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Can you remember how competitive the Super Touring series was when Adderton was an owner?
Factory backing from Volvo, BMW, Audi & Hyundai over the years. Attracted international entries, strong backing, and Championships that went down to the final round in four of the six years he was involved.
Old 24 Jun 2021, 03:14 (Ref:4057936)   #169
cavvy
Veteran

Coch0 & co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
With sale, means change...maybe, especially if 1 group grabs it and gives it a boost.
Thats why Archer Capital bought it & the likes of Coch0 left the building.
Old 24 Jun 2021, 03:58 (Ref:4057938)   #170
Casper
Veteran

No one would put personal money into it and if they did they should seek mental health check ups as soon as possible. The level of financial backing that can be found will determine the selling price.
Old 24 Jun 2021, 06:01 (Ref:4057942)   #171
cavvy
Veteran

a poor investment

Quote:

Here is quote from Archer Capitals founder 12 months back:
“Supercars has been a poor investment for Archer Capital, and we make no secret of that,” Mr Wiggs told The Australian.

“We probably purchased it at the top of the market. And we’ve faced difficult structural issues since the day we acquired it,” he added, referring to a drop in broadcast rights, corporate sponsorship and a difficult market for ticket sales.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...5b8b1e188be8c7

Last edited by cavvy; 24 Jun 2021 at 06:02. Reason: Typo
Old 24 Jun 2021, 08:17 (Ref:4057957)   #172
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If you read more of the articles about Archer in the series, that they replaced the executives in their team responsible for managing the Supercar investment more than once in their investment lifetime, and the boss of the Archer business needed to take personal interest and control himself, suggests the vision was either not what was executed, or the executives were the wrong people to be managing a sporting property.

You can buy an asset at the very top (or beyond) of its valuation and still make a metric shed load of dollars from it. That Archer didn’t talks to a lack of performance in a number of places, in their own management group, the Supercars executive with the revolving door of leaders and so on, and impacts of teev deals and COVID19 and any other sporting franchise in the marketplace.

Someday someone will write a book… maybe Mr Cochrane should…

The teams handing back their RECs.. like GRM.. you have to remember that foundation teams like them reportedly paid less than $10 grand for them. So not a huge give back.

And if the teams had $10m a year to split amongst themselves, in 24 RECs that’s like $400k each… which it was said to be in the “good old days”. Are they back? I see many cars not resplendent with commercial partners, and patrons with alleged deep pockets they may not like to dip into.. money has to come from somewhere to keep the singing & dancing alive….. maybe….
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Jun 2021, 13:22 (Ref:4057987)   #173
Casper
Veteran

I think Mr. GTR just agreed with me. I doubt it is saleable at just about any price but someone may hang out to the last minute to see where the bottom is and then decide. This must make the REC holders a bit nervous and some may bail out but time will tell on that one.
Old 25 Jun 2021, 15:13 (Ref:4058155)   #174
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Speedcafe.com has learnt of at least one more serious party in the mix, that being a well-funded American sporting consortium."

I can't help but think it's Penske...
Old 26 Jun 2021, 04:54 (Ref:4058239)   #175
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
"Speedcafe.com has learnt of at least one more serious party in the mix, that being a well-funded American sporting consortium."

I can't help but think it's Penske...
Why?He already bought a series that has been a financial basket case since Tony George did the great CART/IRL split and burnt through half the Hulman family fortune.Penske has an attachment to the Indy 500 race and thinks he can make the rest self sustaining.
He has left the building here largely because he could see the future and doesn’t think it looks good.
My guess is Archer is moving into the bargain basement category.The contenders seem to be a US private equity company with Skaife as the Australian front man and the Morris/Adderton bid which I think might have Roland Dane hidden in the mix.
The former might be stupid enough to bid more than it’s worth and what is Skaife doing in there?Remember he took HRT to the point of bankruptcy in the short time he ran the business.I was going to say it was the only thing he has done worse than commentary but then I had a reality check and his commentary is much worse.
Roland Dane is smart enough to run it but also smart enough not to pay any more than what it’s worth so might miss out,