Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 May 2021, 05:52 (Ref:4050976)   #1526
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are not the same car, I think we have a 1960 model and a 1961 car,
Attached Thumbnails
61picda.jpg   Image0813 (2).jpeg   7d169c5aecd0ebe9b5cc7f9d0accfeae.jpg  

c12dd68a3b3898aa5101c821bc5495e7.jpg  
Old 11 May 2021, 11:09 (Ref:4051014)   #1527
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
They are not the same car, I think we have a 1960 model and a 1961 car,
Bob, the pic I sent "crm" (post #1523 above) was sent to him as proof of where Graham was in early January and why he was not at Snetterton as the original quiz pic suggested...

It is indeed not the same car, but is the car he raced at Ardmore at the NZGP on the first Saturday in January and later in the other Tasman races. It was described as "BRM sent two new P48's to contest the race. These were 1960 FI works cars with the only modification being the fitting of outboard disc brakes at the rear in place of the single inboard one."
Engines used were Tasman spec (2.5 litre) Coventry Climax 4 cylinder.
Old 11 May 2021, 12:23 (Ref:4051045)   #1528
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apologies for the confusion.

Yes - as E.B. has clarified, the picture at Ardmore is not the same car that was the subject of the initial puzzle.

It is part of the evidence that the original picture could not be 1st January 1961, because the driver/team were travelling to an event at the other side of the world.
Old 11 May 2021, 12:37 (Ref:4051049)   #1529
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
No apologies needed, it just takes a while to understand the written rules of this thread. Mind you they are a lot of others…
Old 12 May 2021, 13:48 (Ref:4051258)   #1530
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To complete the puzzle from post 1496.

"Some of it will be easy to place - but timing might be a challenge".

Who? Graham Hill
In What? BRM (model/engine still to be confirmed by some)
Doing What? (this is a pointer to the follow-on question)
Where? Snetterton (this is a pointer to the follow-on question)
When? 1st January 1961
- Why is the when wrong? Hill was flying to New Zealand at the time

So we know it was Graham Hill in a BRM at a UK circuit, and it was in 1961 - but not on the 1st January. So what date could it have been?

Clues:
- how many broadcasters in 1961 had the capability to mount a camera on a car?
- when would the engine in the car have been used?
- when would Hill have been available to drive the car?

In the UK at that time - the BBC were the only real broadcaster who could have undertaken such a filming, but even then their OB options were limited. So this means that they would be only likely to undertake such filming when opportunity presented itself.
We already confirmed that Hill was out of the country at the start of the year, and that BRM ran a different configuration of car until they began preparation for the 1961 season.

For the 1961 season, a new engine type was required. This being the Coventry-Climax - which is evidenced in the picture by being more compact, and without the trumpet exhausts. The clothing also suggests that the picture was early in the year, when conditions were relatively cold.

Snetterton hosted the 1961 Lombank Trophy on 26th March, and the BBC were there to film the event. It was following this event that they took the opportunity to film Hill in a BRM.
Hill's movements show that he was in Sebring on the 25th March - so the filming took place after this date.
Hill (and BRM's) next outing with the car was at Goodwood for the Glover Trophy on 3 April (Easter Monday).
So the filming (is highly likely) to have been carried out some time between 27th March and 30th March, given the travel implications of the time.

Why did I find the date(s) interesting. When you see the movements of Hill, and other drivers of that time, you can see them travelling globally to compete in a range of different cars and championships, to different regulations and rule-sets, at a time when global travel was much more difficult than now.

To demonstrate:
1961 NZ GP (1-Jan) - Hill competed in a BRM P48 fitted with a 2.5L engine, competing with Moss, Clark, Gurney, Surtees, Bonnier and others.
1961 Sebring 12hrs (25-Mar) - Hill competed in a Maserati Tipo 61 shared with Moss, up against von Trips, McLaren, Hopkirk, Baghetti and others.
1961 Glover Trophy (3-Apr) - Hill competed in a BRM P57 fitted with a 1.5L engine, at the same time as many rivals were competing in the Pau GP (Jim Clark's first F1 victory).

It is beyond imaginable for a current F1 driver to undertake such a variety of events today.
Old 12 May 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4051266)   #1531
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow....given I can barely do the “name the car” questions, the chances of me sleuthing that one out were zero.....good question though!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 14 May 2021, 17:42 (Ref:4051693)   #1532
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Think it is time for a new picture puzzle!

Who can you identify here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch191.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	68554
Old 14 May 2021, 18:08 (Ref:4051696)   #1533
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The white helmet showing a cheq flag is famous… The mechanic wearing a funnel could be Jojo, well known caroller of the Gordini team… Is it '53 or '54?
Old 14 May 2021, 18:16 (Ref:4051700)   #1534
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
'53, the driver of the car #5 has a curve (in fact two) named after his name and a memorial at Montlhéry. EB do you confirm? As to the lady, nice trench coat…
Old 14 May 2021, 18:39 (Ref:4051703)   #1535
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
'53, the driver of the car #5 has a curve (in fact two) named after his name and a memorial at Montlhéry. EB do you confirm? As to the lady, nice trench coat…
Also a man whose Bugatti would not run on rat's droppings!
Old 14 May 2021, 20:44 (Ref:4051718)   #1536
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
'53, the driver of the car #5 has a curve (in fact two) named after his name and a memorial at Montlhéry. EB do you confirm?
A scar in my mind Gérard.
He has a corner named after him at another better known track as well, and even has a 'racing resort' in Spain named after him.
Old 14 May 2021, 21:22 (Ref:4051720)   #1537
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
A scar in my mind Gérard.
He has a corner named after him at another better known track as well, and even has a 'racing resort' in Spain named after him.
I do not think that Alberto is actually in the picture, chaps.
Old 15 May 2021, 02:52 (Ref:4051731)   #1538
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I do not think that Alberto is actually in the picture, chaps.
His car is though.... #5, partially hidden.

Nothing to do with the original question I admit.....
Old 15 May 2021, 06:58 (Ref:4051737)   #1539
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
His car is though.... #5, partially hidden.

Nothing to do with the original question I admit.....
I think you will find t is a mechanic sitting in number 5,

I spot two drivers, but Harry is not out of bed yet.
Old 15 May 2021, 07:09 (Ref:4051738)   #1540
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sorry for the mechanic you're right my confusion came from the cap and not a crash helmet, but as stated by EB its Ascari's car. So Silverstone 1953, yes?

EB, we're talking the same language here, but from the map https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodr...Montlh%C3%A9ry you can see neither the Ascari curve nor "la contre courbe" (note the advert with my Dad!).
Old 15 May 2021, 07:16 (Ref:4051739)   #1541
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Pétoulet in other words…
Old 15 May 2021, 07:17 (Ref:4051740)   #1542
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the Connaught name above the pits would lead you astray. You are correct with the 2 drivers but I am not sure about the person sitting in the Ferrari as well.
Old 15 May 2021, 07:17 (Ref:4051741)   #1543
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Pétoulet in other words… (bonnet en coton)
Old 15 May 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4051742)   #1544
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I dont know who took the picture but considering the year I find the quality very good, congrats. Who can name the person sitting in the Ferrari then?
Old 15 May 2021, 07:45 (Ref:4051743)   #1545
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I dont know who took the picture but considering the year I find the quality very good, congrats. Who can name the person sitting in the Ferrari then?
Luigi Meccano.

RBS the elder is responsible for the pictures, and indeed the quality is excellent.
Old 15 May 2021, 08:37 (Ref:4051748)   #1546
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I think you will find t is a mechanic sitting in number 5,

It was the anniversary of his passing a day or two ago.....
Old 15 May 2021, 08:43 (Ref:4051751)   #1547
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Pétoulet in other words… (bonnet en coton)
In his wonderful autobiography “F-Stops, Pit Stops, Tears and Laughter” Bernard Cahier tells the full story.

“He (Maurice) owned a Bugatti 37B which he’d hidden in a barn during the war. When he took it out and raced it for the first time after the conflict he discovered the engine was starved for fuel. Upon further investigation he discovered that a family of mice had taken up residence in the gas tank while it had been in the barn and the fuel line was clogged with their droppings. Telling this story to his friend and fellow driver, Jean-Pierre Wimille he said, “You know Jean-Pierre my gas tank was full of pétoules” – the provincial word for mice droppings. Wimille had a good laugh and then told Maurice, “That’s appropriate because you’re nothing but a big pétoulet yourself!” From that moment the name stuck.”

Old 15 May 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4051756)   #1548
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Merci pour l'anecdote et la sympathique photographie, Monsieur Attorney. I wont ask how this wine tastes because its not really important. Boire pour se souvenir et non boire pour oublier…
Old 17 May 2021, 06:59 (Ref:4052008)   #1549
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton

Correct, both Maurice Trintignant and Jean Behra are the drivers concerned but Harry (Schell) mad it a few minutes later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch302.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	68568
Old 17 May 2021, 07:07 (Ref:4052010)   #1550
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Pétoulet looks like the ordinary man he always remained, what a nice and simple person he was. I met him several times and drove his daily, it was a 24 CT.
Thanks for this rare picture, seems that Pétoulet is wondering about Jean right foot and its ability to press the gaz pedal! "What's your size, Bro?".