Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Jan 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3193607)   #1
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The world according to Betty...

Hi all...so by now you may have seen the thoughts of our newest v8 team owner...I hope that someone who is as open about her life, enthusiasm for running a team and about Motorsport in general is not censored by the powers that be in the future.
The sport needs personalities and I'm sure not all will agree with her, but it's all food for thought from one person who isn't afraid to put herself out there...
Looking forward to watching the success of Erebus in our sport and hopefully seeing a few more personalities rise within the sport as she will this year.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3193613)   #2
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Yes, good luck to Betty and Erebus..........it will be interesting to hopefully hear about the political side and how they contend with the evil red empire.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 10:34 (Ref:3193636)   #3
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Yes, good luck to Betty and Erebus..........it will be interesting to hopefully hear about the political side and how they contend with the evil red empire.

Would you kindly build a bridge and get over it? Stop polluting every thread with the same drivel. We know how you feel (good for you), no need to continue reminding us.

Go Betty I say! I really think they'll be a class act from the start, and those Merc engines sound awesome!
Old 24 Jan 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3193809)   #4
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Harder. View Post
Would you kindly build a bridge and get over it? Stop polluting every thread with the same drivel. We know how you feel (good for you), no need to continue reminding us.

Go Betty I say! I really think they'll be a class act from the start, and those Merc engines sound awesome!
Not interested in your personal attacks.........attack the post not the poster.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 21:35 (Ref:3193877)   #5
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err...politest 'personal attack' I've read.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3193915)   #6
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Err...politest 'personal attack' I've read.
Depends how you read it.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 03:01 (Ref:3195538)   #7
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to her and the whole Erebus crew. You're going to need it......

On the other hand, wonder if VESA have a spot ready on the trophy wall for Betty to join the likes of Craig Gore and so on that have come and gone in the past......
Old 29 Jan 2013, 04:10 (Ref:3195554)   #8
Stand21
Rookie

Stand21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Gina Rinehart should buy DJR!

Would add a whole new eliment to the series, watching the claws come out! & would detract (only slightly) from the Red Bull promotion juggernaut set to hit TV screens & race tracks soon!
Old 29 Jan 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3195713)   #9
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post

On the other hand, wonder if VESA have a spot ready on the trophy wall for Betty to join the likes of Craig Gore and so on that have come and gone in the past......
I doubt it, there are a lot of differences between the 2 of them. Craig Gore's empire was built on a mountain of debt, Betty's seems to be built on real assets. Craig Gore also used motor racing as a tool to promote his businesses and wasn't really interested in the "sport", whereas Betty has a passion for motor sport.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3198429)   #10
aussiefveeracer
Rookie

Australia
aussiefveeracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I suspect Erebus and Betty will be the same as so many (of late) risk folk that blow into the sport, spend a bundle, and then promptly leave either through their own doing/undoing, or choice.

Usual tale - if is seems too good to be true, usually is, and this rapid rise just seems too good.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3198523)   #11
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting that when a bright new talent appears on the Australian racing scene the usual suspects all line up to preach doome and gloom.
I have this sneaking feeling that Betty might outlast V8SC. She has enthusiasm, a bank balance, the personality and enthusiasm to promote her team, and a nice fall back position in GT racing for when the current V8 circus overprices itself or falls in a heap from internal wrangling.
Go for it Betty.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3198955)   #12
Sequel
Racer

Sequel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find Betty is not a blow in, and has been investing in Australian motorsport for over over 10 years. The earliest I know of was Peter Hacketts F3 in 2001. Sure, 3 V8SC's is a (slightly) larger investment, but she is not doing it to promote anything, she is doing it purely because she loves it.

Similar to James Rosenberg - he just loves motorsport.

Good on them!
Old 8 Jun 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3259524)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting article in the Telegraph...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Jun 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3259585)   #14
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was a fantastic read GTR, she has opened up her treasure chest that is for sure
Old 9 Jun 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3259601)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
it was a fantastic read GTR, she has opened up her treasure chest that is for sure
Its almost like karma is being repaid.. someone taking a chance on her, repaying it in full several times over, then choosing to do the same for someone else.

Nice
Old 11 Jun 2013, 04:32 (Ref:3260714)   #16
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a terrific read. What a story and a great example that money doesn't always buy happiness (although she seems to be enjoying it now).
Old 11 Jun 2013, 10:25 (Ref:3260828)   #17
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a great read.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3261165)   #18
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I doubt it, there are a lot of differences between the 2 of them. Craig Gore's empire was built on a mountain of debt, Betty's seems to be built on real assets. Craig Gore also used motor racing as a tool to promote his businesses and wasn't really interested in the "sport", whereas Betty has a passion for motor sport.
So now we know she hasn't built up a fortune, but living off her fathers work. All this said thou, she has old money, which from a lot of people I know tends not to disappear as quick as new money like our friend Mr Gore had.

Again, I don't see her sustaining the investment if things don't work out or the success doesn't come. But then again, with everything that she's been through and what she does, maybe she might just pull this off.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3261187)   #19
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So now we know she hasn't built up a fortune, but living off her fathers work. All this said thou, she has old money, which from a lot of people I know tends not to disappear as quick as new money like our friend Mr Gore had.
So you know a lot of people who have inherited a billion dollars do you?
Old 12 Jun 2013, 02:19 (Ref:3261246)   #20
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's been widely publicised from the outset that the money came from her father's involvement with Westfields. I've never seen any reference claiming otherwise. I'm unsure what she's actually doing with it (other than spending it) and whether she has her own business interests or is just living off the legacy money.

Quote:
Again, I don't see her sustaining the investment if things don't work out or the success doesn't come. But then again, with everything that she's been through and what she does, maybe she might just pull this off.
She has the money, but there are already rumblings on budget constraints frustrating the team from being able to do what they think needs to be done. Whether that's their unrealistic expectations not being met or Betty being a bit tight with it, I have no idea. But it's clear there's no blank cheque there.

I hope she doesn't get bored with it, but she's been around for a while and does seem to have a genuine love of the sport.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 05:15 (Ref:3261261)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
She has the money, but there are already rumblings on budget constraints frustrating the team from being able to do what they think needs to be done. Whether that's their unrealistic expectations not being met or Betty being a bit tight with it, I have no idea. But it's clear there's no blank cheque there.
If the engine program is as expensive as has been mentioned in the powder room, its a wonder the Erebutians still have money for tea and bikkies.

A hypothetical... for fun..

Imagine if someone were to pay somewhere near $270k a pop for an engine which may or may not have a mandated 'life' of only 300km? And perhaps may come with an airfreight requirement from and to for servicing? Servicing which is a goodly proportion of that alleged sale price.. (40%+)

And before someone says something... apparently there may or may not be an enduro version of the hypothetical powerplants, with a reported 1,200km service life rocking up before Sandown... allegedly...

Presuming any of this actually happened of course
Old 12 Jun 2013, 06:27 (Ref:3261277)   #22
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Betty allegedly inherited around half her current worth. It seems she's been able to put it to good use. I doubt she's gained much from GT championship prize money....

The relationship with AMG may well prove to be the crux of that long term prospects for the project. The apparent mothballing and potential disposal of Gt assets may provide opportunities, but as Mr Hackett has found, may not.

As the article refers, Betty has seen highs and lows and will undoubtedly have learned a few things along the way. I'm sure she'll be fine and the project will continue to show incremental progress.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3261357)   #23
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Presuming any of this actually happened of course
You seem to like throwing unfounded BS around with no foundation, Why do you do it? I use the term BS because until it has foundation that is exactly what it is.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3261359)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
You seem to like throwing unfounded BS around with no foundation, Why do you do it? I use the term BS because until it has foundation that is exactly what it is.
is it BS? or do you have information to suggest its BS?
Old 12 Jun 2013, 10:00 (Ref:3261362)   #25
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
is it BS? or do you have information to suggest its BS?
He has no proven foundation for the statement and actually admits that. Don't play psychological games here, no foundation is the subject. Why tell hypothetical stories, it seems something that the man gets off on.