Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2018, 22:49 (Ref:3856359)   #251
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Then where is the active suspension?
What v8 Fireworks means is they went from springs and bars to the much more advanced active suspension, and then the muppets of FOM took the formula back to springs and bars, i.e. living in the past.

F1 consistently lives in the past, unless pursuing someone's agenda when they claim they cannot unwind what they have learnt, yet they do it all the time with a couple of strokes of a pen!
Old 13 Oct 2018, 02:52 (Ref:3856372)   #252
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
Why make qualifying anymore important than it already is by attaching points to it? Points for fastest laps would just see people in 14th or 15th making a pit stop for ultra softs 3 laps from the end.
I love the idea of mid field and back markers suddenly going for broke and adding some excitement
Old 13 Oct 2018, 03:06 (Ref:3856374)   #253
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
I love the idea of mid field and back markers suddenly going for broke and adding some excitement
They used to that.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 03:51 (Ref:3856377)   #254
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They used to that.
I be used to that too....

edit: I'm sorry. Correction. I is used to that too.

jimclark
Old 13 Oct 2018, 04:29 (Ref:3856378)   #255
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

So pretty!

The rear wheels and tyres have already been restored to nearly exactly '92 size (~400mm tyre on 13"x17" wide rim).

So the next step is just to make the front tyres narrower and slightly smaller in diameter, make the rear wing taller, front wing narrower, increase the overall width back to 2.15m and instate a maximum car length to re-acheive iconic F1 proportions!
Old 13 Oct 2018, 05:17 (Ref:3856384)   #256
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

So pretty!

So the next step is just to make the front tyres narrower and slightly smaller in diameter, make the rear wing taller, front wing narrower, increase the overall width back to 2.15m and instate a maximum car length to re-acheive iconic F1 proportions!
Don't forget permanent removal of all those unsightly aero doos and dads (doodads).

edit: May as well share it with everybody. 'Good read on reactive/active suspension: https://www.racefans.net/2007/05/17/...ve-suspension/

jimclark
Old 13 Oct 2018, 08:15 (Ref:3856404)   #257
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good those were simple looking, but effective F1 cars
Old 13 Oct 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3856431)   #258
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They used to that.
That should have read, "They used to do that".
Old 14 Oct 2018, 04:32 (Ref:3856760)   #259
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
Why make qualifying anymore important than it already is by attaching points to it? Points for fastest laps would just see people in 14th or 15th making a pit stop for ultra softs 3 laps from the end.
Did that happen when a point was previously paid for fastest lap?
Old 14 Oct 2018, 05:29 (Ref:3856762)   #260
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Did that happen when a point was previously paid for fastest lap?
Point for fastest lap was last paid in 1959, so no, drivers did not have the option of qualifying type tyres then. Whether in those days anyone stopped late for new tyres to get a point for fastest lap I am unaware. I suspect not given the time taken for such a stop with wheel hammers etc. Losing laps for a possible chance of a fastest lap might have not been considered I feel.

In addition with the advent of constructor points only the drivers received a point for a fastest lap.

Last edited by E.B; 14 Oct 2018 at 05:35. Reason: added constructors not receiving fastest lap points awarded, just to driver.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3856771)   #261
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just drop that TV-show and bring back sports solution, when FIA only blessing to name a race like Grand Prix. All the organisation work and questions of entry lists - under the rule of local autoclubs. FIA mandates safety measures and transparent cost-cap only. No team is forced to enter all GPs. Entry lists on race-by-race basis. Companies can sell their chassis. This will open the road for young talents (teams) to shine.
But, of course, this will never happen, as F1 (as GPs known now) should be "a pinnacle, an unique, prestigious, marvellous show and so on". Advertising rules the world unfortunately. Deal with it and watch what they've got.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 10:52 (Ref:3856787)   #262
johnpage
Rookie

johnpage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make the drivers pay for the front wings that they destroy AND ban replacement wings during the race---------continue with whatever is left after you've damaged it.
It was far more interesting when the cars were less reliable!
It would also be far more interesting if the rules were not so restrictive.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3856792)   #263
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Needs root and branch change

At the moment it is dominated by money, manufacturers and rights.

They should change to fans, racing and spectacle. And the above three should be removed as much as possible
Old 14 Oct 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3856793)   #264
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
"Fans" as a group don't exist. Trying to cater to them will always always work out for the worst. And spectacle? This is racing, that's the spectacle in itself.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3856825)   #265
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But there isnt any, really. Is there.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3856829)   #266
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
There is, but you're correct in that the majority of people who watch F1 do not do so because they like or want to see racing. And that includes you, apparently.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3856831)   #267
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An old circular argument. Whose definition of 'racing' are we plumping for this time?
Old 14 Oct 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3856836)   #268
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

The one where there is no spectactle but someone watches it anyway while still complaining about the lack of spectacle... or something.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 02:46 (Ref:3856875)   #269
jimclark
Veteran

United States
May I have an order of fries with that piano?

jimclark
Old 15 Oct 2018, 02:52 (Ref:3856878)   #270
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
There is, but you're correct in that the majority of people who watch F1 do not do so because they like or want to see racing. And that includes you, apparently.
So why on earth do they watch F1?
Old 15 Oct 2018, 03:01 (Ref:3856880)   #271
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
And spectacle? This is racing, that's the spectacle in itself.
Absolutely. A voice of reason. Hallelujah! or ('whichever 'you're fancy)

And, it's the pinnacle. So, even more so!

jimclark
Old 15 Oct 2018, 03:05 (Ref:3856881)   #272
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
"Fans" as a group don't exist. Trying to cater to them will always always work out for the worst. And spectacle? This is racing, that's the spectacle in itself.
Of course fans as a group exist. What about the Tifosi? The only time it doesn't work out for them, is when Ferrari don't win.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 03:42 (Ref:3856882)   #273
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fans as a group don't exist? What a strange statement.

Surely we at 10/10 as a group are fans. Otherwise we would not be here. I come here because I am a fan and to share opinion (whether I agree with that opinion or not) with a group of other fans of varying degrees..

Further to BJ's Tifosi point I imagine the Director of Ferrari Merchandising might feel he is marketing to a strong and widespread (geographically) group of fans. A group of fans who spend many hundreds of millions of dollars per year (474 million according business insider) as a group of fans on merchandise in an ever increasing tailor made chain of outlets to service their sizeable group of fans.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 05:11 (Ref:3856886)   #274
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Fans as a group don't exist? What a strange statement.

a group of fans on merchandise in an ever increasing tailor made chain of outlets to service their sizeable group of fans.

Ah! The scream of the V12 door chime when you enter the merchandise shop at Modena

You are right EB, although fans tend to think of themselves as fans of a marque or a driver rather than of F1 as a whole.
Or in the case of nerds like me as fans of a designer or team principal.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3856900)   #275
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
You are right EB, although fans tend to think of themselves as fans of a marque or a driver rather than of F1 as a whole.
Or in the case of nerds like me as fans of a designer or team principal.
Stick me on that list, sort of....the sport as a whole. In my case it's all of the teams and drivers and their hard work.

My only driver and team/principal left me too soon. '68 and '82. (I know the name had a short lived resurrection but 't'wasn't Colin's Team Lotus.....)

jimclark