Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Sep 2010, 23:31 (Ref:2753419)   #751
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it feasable Lola, ORECA, Zytek and OAK/Pescarolo will carry over existing tubs until they are forced out by reg changes such as stricter crash test requirements?

With so many old chassis out in the wild there's a potentially large market for upgrading existing cars, particularly P2 were there isn't an arms race against manufactuers.
Old 1 Sep 2010, 23:32 (Ref:2753420)   #752
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that's the 2nd time this weak i'm reading something on ten-tenths about different crash test requirements... but why and how do LMP1 crash standards differ from LMP2 standards?
Old 1 Sep 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2753423)   #753
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know if there are different requirements, I was using it as an example.

If current tubs are upto the job why wouldn't Lola and such continue to use the same basic design for the forseable future and update everything else?

In the 956/962 days Porsche must have been busy servicing and updating these cars as well as producing all new chassis for the best part of a decade.

Seems a good business model for a customer chassis manufactuer.
Old 1 Sep 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2753425)   #754
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
that's the 2nd time this weak i'm reading something on ten-tenths about different crash test requirements... but why and how do LMP1 crash standards differ from LMP2 standards?

Because P-1s reach a higher terminal velocity and their engine/drivetrain (usually) weigh more. In an impact there is more force at the impact site and more inertia developed by the drivetrain, so higher crush rates are standard for P-1. But that does not mean that P-2 tubs will not pass P-1 testing, in fact several P-2 tubs already meet P-1 testing standards as the tub is the same in both models/chassis.

L.P.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2753547)   #755
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks
I hope they don't lower the LMP1 crash standards now that the new P1 engines are basically the P2 engines of old? Seems to me the more safety the better... Also I'd hope that even P2-only chassis would be built with excess safety in mind => able to withstand P1 crash tests...
Old 2 Sep 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2753583)   #756
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
With so many old chassis out in the wild there's a potentially large market for upgrading existing cars, particularly P2 were there isn't an arms race against manufactuers.
That would be awsome but seems to me that the days when a private team buys a chassis and builds around him a new aero are gone.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2753593)   #757
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
P2 the new P1?????

I honestly do not mind the name of the categories of Le Mans, but i think that despite the environmental and safety concerns, the primal category in Le Mans should comply with the long straights and not take forever to go through them.
these straights will suffer when there are cars less then 320 km/h, please do not make them suffer
Old 2 Sep 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2753695)   #758
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans.pt View Post
That would be awsome but seems to me that the days when a private team buys a chassis and builds around him a new aero are gone.
I was thinking more along the lines of buying the manufactuers updates as RML have done with Lola.

Pretty much all of the Lola and Courage P1/P2's built in the last five years could be updated to 2011 spec.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2754877)   #759
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems there is much topic for discussion in here.
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/2011ACOLMP12Version4.pdf

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2755244)   #760
JAG
Veteran

England
How about you sum it up.

As far as I'm concerned it's-

-Current P2 Chassis ballasted to 900kg

-460bhp+ production engine

-No hybrid system

-LMPC can be upgraded to ORECA 03
Old 6 Sep 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2755252)   #761
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am i reading the rules right if i think it's only allowed to have a supercharged diesel, not a turbo charged one??? (art 5.1)

Can any of the engine guru's on here shine a light on that?

What could be the reasoning behind this?

edit,

This could be a simple printing error, as it seems the difference isn't their in the French text
Old 6 Sep 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2755254)   #762
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Yes, much topic for discussion!

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2755264)   #763
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_nl View Post
Am i reading the rules right if i think it's only allowed to have a supercharged diesel, not a turbo charged one??? (art 5.1)

Can any of the engine guru's on here shine a light on that?

What could be the reasoning behind this?

edit,

This could be a simple printing error, as it seems the difference isn't their in the French text
Turbos are seen in technical regulations as a form of supercharging. End of story.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2755270)   #764
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Audi should let the R-8 V-10 LMS be raced in GT-1 and build a GT-3 (variant/model) contender with a 3.2L turbo V-6.

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2755296)   #765
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Turbos are seen in technical regulations as a form of supercharging. End of story.
That was part of my confusion, in the English text they are mentioned separately (and accidentally left out at the diesel engines), where as in the French text they are not separated.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2755302)   #766
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Audi should let the R-8 V-10 LMS be raced in GT-1 and build a GT-3 (variant/model) contender with a 3.2L turbo V-6.

L.P.
That's what I knew about future engine for roadcar line-up.maybe introduction in next generation a6 and facelifted a4 next year
Old 6 Sep 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2755312)   #767
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthey View Post
That's what I knew about future engine for roadcar line-up.maybe introduction in next generation a6 and facelifted a4 next year
Well thats fine, but they need one in the R-8 LMS GT(3) that produces about 475 bhp. Then it would also make a fine P-2 engine!

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2755319)   #768
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry to be a little dim but I still can't grasp what to expect in 2011. Can someone tell me the following:

LMP1 (still called this?): What are the engine regs
LMP2 ditto : Ditto

GT1 (or what will it be?): Engine regs?
GT2 ditto ditto

Any other new categories I should know about?
What happens to this years cars like Audi, Peugeot, HPD ARX etc?

Thanks
Old 6 Sep 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2755323)   #769
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
LMP1 engine regs = same as LMP2 this year, but no limit on number of cylinders for 3.4 NA engines (and, I believe, larger restrictors). LMP2 = stock engines / engines currently homologated for GT2, up to 5 liters, restrictor regulations attempt to keep about 125-150bhp difference between LMP1 and LMP2 engines.

GT1 is gone, GT-E is GT2 with the possible addition of paddleshift gearboxes and undisclosed ways of limiting straight line speed.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2755329)   #770
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks that helps.

What about diesel engines for LMP1? What's the max size for them in 2011?
Old 6 Sep 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2755331)   #771
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
What about diesel engines for LMP1? What's the max size for them in 2011?
3700cc.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2755332)   #772
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
The general gist of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Sorry to be a little dim but I still can't grasp what to expect in 2011. Can someone tell me the following:

LMP1 (still called this?): What are the engine regs Yes still called this, engines will be the current P-2 rules with current P-1 engines granfathered in with competition restrictions.
LMP2 ditto : Ditto What has been put forth is a cost capped class both chassis and engine with a max price target. Minimum of evolution adjustment during the year. 5.0L N/A V8 or 3.2L V6 turbo production based engines

GT1 (or what will it be?): Engine regs? No GT-1

GT2 ditto ditto GT-2 will become GTE with a Pro and Amateur classes based on the 2009 GT-2 regs with the AM class only running 1+ year old cars and restricted drivers by license type.

Any other new categories I should know about?
What happens to this years cars like Audi, Peugeot, HPD ARX etc?

Thanks
That may or may not help!

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2755367)   #773
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
Audi already has a supercharged 3.0 V6 in the Audi S4, and the A6, and is the standard engine in the EU Spec S5. Only change I could see there is a switch from the supercharger to turbos, but then again, Audi barbecued a R8 that was fitted with the 5.0 turbo V10 out of the RS6, so I don't think that the R8 is suited for turbos, though 4.2 V8s and 5.2 V10s have been fitted with aftermarket superchargers.

Maybe the 3.0 T SC engine may power one of the proposed "baby" Audi mid engined cars.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2755374)   #774
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Audi already has a supercharged 3.0 V6 in the Audi S4, and the A6, and is the standard engine in the EU Spec S5. Only change I could see there is a switch from the supercharger to turbos, but then again, Audi barbecued a R8 that was fitted with the 5.0 turbo V10 out of the RS6, so I don't think that the R8 is suited for turbos, though 4.2 V8s and 5.2 V10s have been fitted with aftermarket superchargers.

Maybe the 3.0 T SC engine may power one of the proposed "baby" Audi mid engined cars.
If I correctly remember I read about a 3.2 bi-turbo engine
Old 6 Sep 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2755381)   #775
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I don't know if there are different requirements, I was using it as an example.

If current tubs are upto the job why wouldn't Lola and such continue to use the same basic design for the forseable future and update everything else?

In the 956/962 days Porsche must have been busy servicing and updating these cars as well as producing all new chassis for the best part of a decade.

Seems a good business model for a customer chassis manufactuer.
It's worth pointing out that while some tubs had very long lives, there were a veritable plethora of 962 tubs produced under license by other manufacturers like Fabcar, Thompson, Joest, RLR etc. Porsche itself was hardly doing the work for most of those later cars, and the individual tubs were not necessarily running for a decade. Ultimately tubs get tired, and beyond that a manufacturer would certainly prefer the profit of selling new tubs when they can...