Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Sep 2022, 19:46 (Ref:4126756)   #226
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Just read this from Graham Goodwin at Daily Sportscar, with regard to Ginetta

"multiple paddock sources have confirmed to DSC that the move was prompted in no small part by significant increases in entry and other fees suggested by TOCA for 2023 including a very significant hike in the fees for ITV coverage going forward."
Sorry for the double post, but I missed this first time through

I do hope this significant increase in fees includes them finally doing something about the social media blackout that surrounds the championship

It says a lot that you can get short clips on social media and youtube posts of highlights/onboards/qualifying of F1, Formula E, NASCAR, INDYCAR, Aussie Supercars and all their supports, but come the BTCC and it's "watch on ITV4 and we might upload 1 min highlights of each race about a month later"

Feels very out of date these days.

Hell, even turning on the cameras/streaming the Saturday action would be nice.
Even 2cvs racing at about 50mph for 24hours get a full live stream these days, yet if you're on the BTCC support package, you don't even get half of your races filmed, let alone streamed live.

Sort that out Mr Gow
Old 21 Sep 2022, 20:43 (Ref:4126760)   #227
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47
Come back Clio Cup, it's not been the same since you left!
(Seriously though, do come back Clio Cup if possible )
If you are missing you fix of small French hatchbacks, search on YouTube for RenaultClioSeries. The European series is being shown with English commentary.

Quote:
Saying that, maybe there's a slot for a classic series.
That BARC Trucks stream has a multi-era classic touring car racing championship, and a lot of touring car series have a classics championship on their package, so pipe dreams aside, could it happen?
(Answer: No, but it'd be nice!)
There used to be a very good classic series on the TOCA package back in the 90s but they were pushed out partly on the basis that they made the place look unprofessional. Given TOCA's push to towards ITV I can't see them wanting any amateur club series (no offense intended). Even in recent years when we have had the odd club series guesting they were usually pushed to the far corner of the paddock and kept well away from any TV cameras.

Quote:
Even 2cvs racing at about 50mph for 24hours get a full live stream these days, yet if you're on the BTCC support package, you don't even get half of your races filmed, let alone streamed live.
Streaming coverage seems to be very variable in quality, some very good, some less so.

British GT and other SRO series are very good but then that's because they are produced to TV broadcast quality. There are filmed for proper highlights package on proper TV channels, and I believe in some case the like of Sky F1 have shown races live.

If you watch TCR UK coverage it's quite obvious that it's being filmed with minimal cameras and in some case unmanned cameras. The whole thing feels like it's being done on a budget.
Old 21 Sep 2022, 21:00 (Ref:4126762)   #228
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a place for a series like the BMW M2 or M240’s?
Old 21 Sep 2022, 23:14 (Ref:4126770)   #229
IdealLine
Rookie

IdealLine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I missed this first time through

I do hope this significant increase in fees includes them finally doing something about the social media blackout that surrounds the championship

It says a lot that you can get short clips on social media and youtube posts of highlights/onboards/qualifying of F1, Formula E, NASCAR, INDYCAR, Aussie Supercars and all their supports, but come the BTCC and it's "watch on ITV4 and we might upload 1 min highlights of each race about a month later"

Feels very out of date these days.

Sort that out Mr Gow
I'd even go as far as to say the BTCC is having a blackout in general. Ever since it stopped being shown on MotorsTV (that's a long time ago) there hasn't been a legal way to watch the series and it's supports outside of the UK.

I'm kind of happy the Ginetta Juniors are out of the TOCA package because it'll mean we'll finally get to see them!

In all seriousness, I do hope BTCC/ITV/TOCA ups their game social media wise, and also internationally. It shouldn't be hard to put a geo-blocked stream on YouTube. Why is it I can watch Puerto Rican club racing, but not the self-acclaimed best touring car championship in the world? (even if I wanted to pay for it) It used to be a fairly popular championship to follow here in the Netherlands, but since it's fallen into obscurity

Rant over; I do hope they manage to find a good replacement, especially for the juniors
Old 22 Sep 2022, 05:21 (Ref:4126789)   #230
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealLine View Post
Ever since it stopped being shown on MotorsTV (that's a long time ago) there hasn't been a legal way to watch the series and it's supports outside of the UK.
The BTCC website says the following - is this not correct?

'The BTCC also enjoys extensive coverage overseas, including MotorTrend screening highlights in North America. A multitude of networks such as Speed, ESPN and FOX are among those that ensure that Britain’s biggest motor sport series is broadcast across six continents throughout each season. Viewers in these regions should check local listings for the latest broadcast dates and times.'

'Here are the BTCC airings on MOTORTREND Channel in 2022. All airings are 4pm ET:

Donington Park: Thursday 26 May
Brands Hatch Indy: Thursday 9 June
Thruxton: Thursday 14 July
Oulton Park: Thursday 21 July
Croft: Monday 8 August
Knockhill: Friday 9 September
Snetterton: Thursday 15 September
Thruxton: Thursday 13 October
Silverstone National: Friday 11 November
Brands Hatch GP: Thursday 24 November

All highlights (and full live) will be on MotorTrend+ within 10-14 days of each event and will be available (VOD) through the end of the year.'
Old 22 Sep 2022, 06:20 (Ref:4126791)   #231
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
If you are missing you fix of small French hatchbacks, search on YouTube for RenaultClioSeries. The European series is being shown with English commentary.
I think the latest Clios could be a good fit for the 'junior' series - they are around £35k+vat, have a 1.3T engine and 5spd sequential box. From factory they are 180bhp, but this could be de-tuned slightly, then run them on treaded tyres.
If you wanted a 'ladder' set up, then the Alpine A110 has a racing version (similar to a GT4 I think)
Old 22 Sep 2022, 06:22 (Ref:4126792)   #232
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealLine View Post
I'd even go as far as to say the BTCC is having a blackout in general. Ever since it stopped being shown on MotorsTV (that's a long time ago) there hasn't been a legal way to watch the series and it's supports outside of the UK.
Can you not view them via the ITV site? https://www.itv.com/btcc/btcc-2022-races
Old 22 Sep 2022, 06:27 (Ref:4126794)   #233
yellowbeard
Rookie

yellowbeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
probably not going to happen but I'd love to see the MX5's on the BTCC package, great racing and massive grids, but sadly the fees would be too much for most drivers
Old 22 Sep 2022, 07:52 (Ref:4126797)   #234
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The BTCC website says the following - is this not correct?

'The BTCC also enjoys extensive coverage overseas, including MotorTrend screening highlights in North America. A multitude of networks such as Speed, ESPN and FOX are among those that ensure that Britain’s biggest motor sport series is broadcast across six continents throughout each season. Viewers in these regions should check local listings for the latest broadcast dates and times.'

'Here are the BTCC airings on MOTORTREND Channel in 2022. All airings are 4pm ET:
I wouldn't always take what BTCC website says about international coverage at face value. They take things like the 90 second roundup on Mobil 1 The Grid as race coverage. MotorTrend may show BTCC coverage but I don't think they show any of the support races.

Also look at the broadcast dates. This weekend's Silverstone race is not broadcast for another 6 weeks; that's a month after the season finale.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 08:04 (Ref:4126799)   #235
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wouldn't always take what BTCC website says about international coverage at face value.
Hence my question of whether this is correct.

I know that the MotorTrend coverage was only updated in the last couple of months, so took it as being probably correct.

Admittedly, it is not a great level of coverage overseas. But let's not forget that there is a bit of a clue in the 'B' of BTCC. It is obviously highly successful, but is still only a national series.

Out of interest (I genuinely do not know the answer) - on the other side of the equation how many other national series' are viewable in the UK?
Old 22 Sep 2022, 08:21 (Ref:4126803)   #236
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motortrend is only available in the USA. They stopped the service outside of there a couple of years ago. There is a limited version available as a channel on Amazon Prime but it has nowhere near the content so BTCC might not be on there and Amazon Prime isn't available in all countries.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 08:46 (Ref:4126809)   #237
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ginetta have the career ladder licked, we need a cheap jnr series to allow progression to mini challenge then mini jcw then btcc... so probably mini something. saxos are too old and look old, ditto fiesta... gow wants pro teams not dad and lad with a transit and trailer or a old volvo b10m bus
Old 22 Sep 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4126810)   #238
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I think the latest Clios could be a good fit for the 'junior' series - they are around £35k+vat, have a 1.3T engine and 5spd sequential box. From factory they are 180bhp, but this could be de-tuned slightly, then run them on treaded tyres.
If you wanted a 'ladder' set up, then the Alpine A110 has a racing version (similar to a GT4 I think)
Personally - I think this is the most likely at present looking at what is out there.

We didn't get the Renault Clio R.S. V in the UK (IIRC), so adding to the Clio Cup Europe program would get my vote.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 09:09 (Ref:4126812)   #239
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I agree that ideally the void should be filled with some sort of Saloon Car feeder series, (Sorry, I'm too 'old school', Touring cars for me are GT's), but I don't know what?
With the current trend of everything road car wise having to go full electric before too long maybe all-electric type cars would be the way to go from a publicity point of view (not that I'm in favour), but unless Mr Gow has had something up his sleeve that's already prepared It's a bit too late to roll that out now in time for next season...
Old 22 Sep 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4126815)   #240
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
With the current trend of everything road car wise having to go full electric before too long maybe all-electric type cars would be the way to go from a publicity point of view.
Another option that might be up Mr Gow's sleeve (how big are his arms?).

The Electric Production Car Series never quite got going, but could be quick to implement I would have thought?

Or maybe a reinvigoration of the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy?
Old 22 Sep 2022, 11:19 (Ref:4126817)   #241
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Out of interest (I genuinely do not know the answer) - on the other side of the equation how many other national series' are viewable in the UK?
Not sure how many of these you would classify as 'national series'.
IMSA - including support series, qualifying and races, where no local TV broadcast deal.
Indycar - practice/qualifying everywhere, race coverage where no local TV broadcast deal.
GT Challenge - qualifying/race/on-board
European Le Mans Series
GT Open
NLS / Nürburgring 24h
Creventic 24h series
European Clio Cup

Probably several more I've missed
Old 22 Sep 2022, 12:01 (Ref:4126821)   #242
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Not sure how many of these you would classify as 'national series'.
IMSA - including support series, qualifying and races, where no local TV broadcast deal.
Indycar - practice/qualifying everywhere, race coverage where no local TV broadcast deal.
GT Challenge - qualifying/race/on-board
European Le Mans Series
GT Open
NLS / Nürburgring 24h
Creventic 24h series
European Clio Cup

Probably several more I've missed
Thanks - are these via an online platform or a broadcast service?

Mods - apologies we're off topic, but the comparison between BTCC coverage as a national series and other examples around the world seems interesting.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 12:20 (Ref:4126823)   #243
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks - are these via an online platform or a broadcast service?

Mods - apologies we're off topic, but the comparison between BTCC coverage as a national series and other examples around the world seems interesting.
IMSA and Indycar are via their respective websites, other are on YouTube. Indycar requires you to register and log-in, so they can spam you with marketing emails.

If you are interested then could be worth starting a thread in Armchair forum to collate the various sources/channel names.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4126824)   #244
redshoes
Veteran

From Motorsport News this week:
Option tyres will return in 2023.
Hybrid deployment rule (when and how much) will change. Perhaps no surprise on that one.
Gow saying they are looking at other things, including possible top ten qualifying shootout at selected rounds.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 12:49 (Ref:4126827)   #245
antnee
Veteran

Quote:
Personally - I think this is the most likely at present looking at what is out there.

We didn't get the Renault Clio R.S. V in the UK (IIRC), so adding to the Clio Cup Europe program would get my vote.
They were due to start in 2020....
Old 22 Sep 2022, 12:52 (Ref:4126828)   #246
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hybrid deployment rule (when and how much) will change. Perhaps no surprise on that one.
Gow saying they are looking at other things, including possible top ten qualifying shootout at selected rounds.
The change to hybrid isn't a surprise really is it based on how little difference hybrid has made this year - can they increase the power of the hybrid using the existing units?

The return of the option tyre isn't a good thing as far as I'm concerned - it doesn't really add anything as you know cars running the unfavoured tyre will go backwards through the field and drivers will just be 'managing the tyre'.

As for the support package - Clios are an option but are they too similar to the MINIs? Not sure what else they could add that 'looks professional' - every other candidate is more club level I'd have thought. Certainly the BTCC package is looking less appealing to go and watch at the circuits.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 13:04 (Ref:4126831)   #247
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
If you are interested then could be worth starting a thread in Armchair forum to collate the various sources/channel names.
Done - https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157436
Old 22 Sep 2022, 13:14 (Ref:4126835)   #248
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The change to hybrid isn't a surprise really is it based on how little difference hybrid has made this year - can they increase the power of the hybrid using the existing units?
I think it's more a case of adjusting when the hybrid can be used and for how long, rather than the adjusting power output.

Currently the car has to be doing 120kmh before hybrid can be deployed, that could be tweaked up or down. You get 15 seconds of boost per lap, that could be increased to extend the gap between the haves and the have-nots.
Old 22 Sep 2022, 13:43 (Ref:4126843)   #249
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think it's more a case of adjusting when the hybrid can be used and for how long, rather than the adjusting power output.
Ah - ok, I wondered if there was scope to give it a bit more welly.

Quote:
Currently the car has to be doing 120kmh before hybrid can be deployed, that could be tweaked up or down. You get 15 seconds of boost per lap, that could be increased to extend the gap between the haves and the have-nots.
I think the 120kmh thing was put in to negate any rwd advantage coming out of corners so I'd assume they'd leave that in place (imagine the whinging otherwise!). How much hybrid is potentially available? Is it possible to increase it to say 30 seconds per lap or do the hybrid units not have the capacity?
Old 22 Sep 2022, 13:46 (Ref:4126845)   #250
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Option tyres - big no for me.
Hybrid changes - I'm worried this will increase passing but will make it too random again.
Combining hybrid tweaks with option tyres we'll see the BTCC randomised again with more stupid moves from those who are a bit too in front for their talent....

Like the idea of Top 10 Shootouts though.