Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Mar 2023, 18:25 (Ref:4148705)   #2926
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the point is, we all know what the driver is doing; watching the wheel being worked is not as exciting as watching the car dancing through the corners, night races or not.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 18:47 (Ref:4148709)   #2927
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I actually like the helmet/visor cam. But... I do agree for night races that there is a lot of glare. I "think" it can be done in real time, but I would love them to show a stabilized version. I think it is a much more compelling and easier to watch view. It really gives you the feeling of being behind the wheel. The regular view is pretty rough to watch at times.

Here is an example of what a stabilized view looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69RtS31TSrM

Richard
Old 21 Mar 2023, 18:55 (Ref:4148711)   #2928
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I take your point but for me it's a waste of time. If you don't know how a steering wheel works, you've got a bigger problem than blurred camera work.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 19:46 (Ref:4148718)   #2929
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I actually like the helmet/visor cam. But... I do agree for night races that there is a lot of glare. I "think" it can be done in real time, but I would love them to show a stabilized version. I think it is a much more compelling and easier to watch view. It really gives you the feeling of being behind the wheel. The regular view is pretty rough to watch at times.

Richard

I like that but not too much, or it could become a bit gimmicky. However, during qualifying I think the occasional complete lap might be worth considering, or a complete lap with the pole sitter, as part of the recap, or even before the actual race, as part of the race preview could also be an idea.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 20:02 (Ref:4148722)   #2930
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
Better, but still too much glare. I guess after years of sim racing having that view unhindered from the cockpit, I expect more......
Old 21 Mar 2023, 20:24 (Ref:4148725)   #2931
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
The stabilized video is interesting, but I think there's too many other objects in frame to truly allow it to be an enjoyable experience, like the helmet and halo support. Kinda ruins the sense of speed when my eyes are fighting for a different angle where stuff isn't in the way for me. I know in the cockpit the driver's focus is down track so they don't really see those things. Kinda like how you don't really process the visual signature of your own nose in normal life. It's there,and you can focus more on it if you tried,but your brain doesn't compute that image. Even first person perspectives in shows and movies never really have a nebulous, unfocused blob for a nose at the bottom of the screen. That's the halo, helmet, and glare as the viewer here.

I wonder if f1 could use ai image processing to remove those features and better put you in the seat. I read a thing that said they already use it to smooth out slow motion shots by filling in missing action from one frame to the next.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 07:45 (Ref:4148760)   #2932
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I found the helmet cam 'interesting' when they first showed it in a kind of 'so that's what it looks like from the drivers point of view' sort of way, but I only needed to see it once for that. As others have said, there is too much glare, plus, as it's on the helmet (and not on the drivers eyeballs) there's too much bouncing around so I find it very difficult to focus on things without being distracted. The stabilised version gets rid of the bouncing but for me, I still prefer the traditional view from the top of the airbox. (Mind you, maybe 'traditional' is my problem? That's what I've come to accept as the norm, so I don't really like something that's new or different...)
Old 22 Mar 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4148761)   #2933
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The problem is, we don't actually see what the driver sees. The driver will be looking beyond the apex of the current corner in order to set the car up for the next one. So, the airbox cam is as good as any. I also think it is used instead of employing more cameras around the circuit, where you could see the car moving around.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4148763)   #2934
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the helmet cam is pretty much unwatchable. Blurred images are simply not what a driver's brain sees.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4148768)   #2935
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I thought it apt that Karun Chandhok has come oue in favour of lighter smaller cars with ICE (sustainable fuels) his point is twofold, one, smaller cars look faster (alive in my opinion) and two, batteries are heavy.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...s-fia-29445939
Old 22 Mar 2023, 12:17 (Ref:4148781)   #2936
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
I think that the helmet cam is pretty much unwatchable. Blurred images are simply not what a driver's brain sees.
Exactly so. The airbox cam is absolutely fine for me.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 22:19 (Ref:4148857)   #2937
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He airbox camera has the advantage of having the car steady too! You can see that apex and beyond. The driver, while his head might be moving around, also gets to see this as you compensate for that in your vision.

The airbox view gives you a much better idea what is happening.
Old 24 Mar 2023, 00:36 (Ref:4148977)   #2938
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I would like to add, if there's a gimmick I'd like to see more of, it's the gyro cam. Both versions - the one that stays level through banked turns, and the one that tilts based on lateral Gs. Both are mounted in the nose.

Of the driver.
Old 24 Mar 2023, 03:13 (Ref:4148986)   #2939
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It works best on Tony Kanaan.
Old 24 Mar 2023, 08:25 (Ref:4149003)   #2940
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Lol....
Old 24 Mar 2023, 08:41 (Ref:4149006)   #2941
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Or Jason Plato
Old 2 Apr 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4150028)   #2942
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So I'm using F1TV this year, rather than Sky. And frankly, it's a huge step down from Sky. Buxton has become a parody of his Netflix character, whilst his co-hosts are not only clueless, but unprofessional. One of them not only didn't know who Mike Krack was, but thought someone was making a joke, and giggled at the name. Seriously?

During the race, Palmer and DC were insufferable on a horse higher than anyone at Sky. DC kept talking about how Perez was "over confident" after his previous win. Really? David "This is my year" Coulthard thinks someone is over confident after winning a race?

Palmer kept talking about how incredible Perez was. I have to admit, I don't consider easy DRS passes in the best car to be incredible. It seemed like much slower progress than, for example, Max made last week.

And then to top it off, Palmer was berating the drivers during the restart saying "I don't know what happened!? It's like they all lost their minds". What exactly do you expect to happen when you tell them all it's a 2 lap shootout lottery, off you go? It was completely predictable, and yet they seem confused.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 11:16 (Ref:4150057)   #2943
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I now get it automatically as part of my Foxtel. Glad I didn't try it out.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4150064)   #2944
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm normally at the mercy of BBC 5 Live for race commentary, as I don't have Sky. However, this time I was able to watch the race on Sky and really enjoyed Jenson Button's contribution as part of the commentary team. Not wanting to take anything away from Martin Brundle but I thought Jenson Button has better insight as well as quite pithy sense of humour, that reminded me of the late James Hunt.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 13:28 (Ref:4150070)   #2945
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So I'm using F1TV this year, rather than Sky. And frankly, it's a huge step down from Sky. Buxton has become a parody of his Netflix character, whilst his co-hosts are not only clueless, but unprofessional. One of them not only didn't know who Mike Krack was, but thought someone was making a joke, and giggled at the name. Seriously?

During the race, Palmer and DC were insufferable on a horse higher than anyone at Sky. DC kept talking about how Perez was "over confident" after his previous win. Really? David "This is my year" Coulthard thinks someone is over confident after winning a race?

Palmer kept talking about how incredible Perez was. I have to admit, I don't consider easy DRS passes in the best car to be incredible. It seemed like much slower progress than, for example, Max made last week.

And then to top it off, Palmer was berating the drivers during the restart saying "I don't know what happened!? It's like they all lost their minds". What exactly do you expect to happen when you tell them all it's a 2 lap shootout lottery, off you go? It was completely predictable, and yet they seem confused.
Do you not have the commentary options on the right of the screen? Sky is the second one down, the world feed.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 13:44 (Ref:4150077)   #2946
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Do you not have the commentary options on the right of the screen? Sky is the second one down, the world feed.
You do - but everyone keeps telling me how terrible Crofty and Ted are, and how wonderful F1TVs comms are, so I gave them a go. It's like having children doing the commentary.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 14:19 (Ref:4150085)   #2947
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
I now get it automatically as part of my Foxtel. Glad I didn't try it out.
Dont be fooled. I got an email from Foxtel telling me how I have access to F1TV "on them". ie No extra charge.

Friday I thought I would check what I get with this F1TV.... I was unable to synch my Foxtel and regular F1.com login. It came up with an error message. Rang Foxtel and they told me I needed to update my firmware. They did a factory reset and I was then able to open the App.

It was by then after P2 had finished but I explored all the wonderful docos I had on the F1TV menu, chose one and clicked on it. A padlock sign came up telling me I need to have a paid subscription to view that. Tried different docos. All the same.

Saturday, come P3 time I thought give it a go, thinking I would be able to play with different camera views etc. Clicked on the App via Foxtel and it sent me to F1.com to choose which subscription I wanted to buy.

Rang Foxtel and spoke to a technician, asking how to get access to my free F1TV package I had been emailed about. He explained to me that what I have been given by Foxtel is the ability to access vi my Foxtel remote and box the F1TV Subscription that I would have to purchase from F1.com.

All they have given us is the ability to access the separately purchased F1TV package using the F1 App via the Foxtel remote and IQ box. (FWIW I have the Platinum including Sport package)

So I ended up watching the GP exactly as I normally have done for years. On Foxtel on 506 or 594UHD. The free Foxtel F1TV is not what Foxtel imply.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 14:57 (Ref:4150093)   #2948
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
aside from what felt like an awkward moment with Kylie Minogue on the grid, definitely thought Button did a good job with the SKY commentary.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 15:01 (Ref:4150095)   #2949
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Kylie was on the grid? I have missed out.
Old 2 Apr 2023, 15:08 (Ref:4150098)   #2950
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lol on the grid walk I meant…still unfortunate that you missed it.

Tags
pinks