Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Nov 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2793297)   #151
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
More of the McKinstry Volvo...

http://www.rallyretro.com/detailedvi...ally&Year=1987

Old 20 Nov 2010, 04:43 (Ref:2793335)   #152
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for the links, KA. I know of the Scottish based Gillanders car, but even on a broader perspect, I think the Volvo 240 Turbo as a Group A rally car was rarety. Susan Kottulinsky are the only example I can think of in mid-1980s international rallying, when the same model of car won the ETCC and early DTM.

Jesper
Old 20 Nov 2010, 06:21 (Ref:2793349)   #153
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW what was top speed of these cars? I remember at Brno in 86 the Eggenberger XR4ti cars were clocked at +280kph. TWR Jags were good for 290 KPH.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 07:41 (Ref:2793361)   #154
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat View Post
BTW what was top speed of these cars? I remember at Brno in 86 the Eggenberger XR4ti cars were clocked at +280kph. TWR Jags were good for 290 KPH.
250-255 km/h are the numbers I've heard for the 240 Turbo - even that number would be down to gearing for the track! Few places on the planet for that to happen anyway - Brno, Bathurst and Fuji come to mind. Know'n as the brick the 240 was never a winner regarding top speed. At a cW rating of 0.43 at a time when the Audi 100 scored 0.29 measured by TWR at a time when Volvo and GM-Holden were considered.

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 20 Nov 2010 at 07:47.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2793593)   #155
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not too sure of some of the vehicle types you talk about on this thread although I do glance over it from time to time - especially when X factor etc. is on

Anyway, there is a 2 door Volvo 240 type machine used in Irish Historics, I would presume it is a turbo car, I saw it last year at Pheonix Park, although I think that was the only event I saw it at, and I watched about half of the events. AFAIR it got whacked up the rear, or else it whacked something up the rear. HRCA.ie is the Irish historics website and you could probably find out more there, although you do need to be patient, .
Eamonn Ledwidge who uses this site probably knows who the owner is.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2793873)   #156
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
VolvoGroupA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its been reported and I know for a fact that the RAS Volvos topped at 290 km/h meanwhile the Ford Sierras peaked at 320 km/h! All because the Ford compared to the Volvo was more aerodynamic.

That's why the RAS team tried to rebuild the front, making the Volvo more "aerodynamic" to. What they did was to lower the front a bit, even so the change was pretty hard to spot! And did not really do that much!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2793943)   #157
Splendid Cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGroupA View Post
Its been reported and I know for a fact that the RAS Volvos topped at 290 km/h meanwhile the Ford Sierras peaked at 320 km/h! All because the Ford compared to the Volvo was more aerodynamic.

That's why the RAS team tried to rebuild the front, making the Volvo more "aerodynamic" to. What they did was to lower the front a bit, even so the change was pretty hard to spot! And did not really do that much!
Hello, I just do not believe the report that you were given (and for the sake of pedantry I said "the report") - please tell me where though and I'd stand to be, very happily, corrected . Where did the XR4ti go at nearly 200mph???!!!!!! (Steve Soper was interviewed at Brno in 86 - the circuit with fastest straight they ever ran it and quoted the 280kph (its on the 1986 ETC DVD)).
Old 21 Nov 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2793957)   #158
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Hello, I just do not believe the report that you were given (and for the sake of pedantry I said "the report") - please tell me where though and I'd stand to be, very happily, corrected . Where did the XR4ti go at nearly 200mph???!!!!!! (Steve Soper was interviewed at Brno in 86 - the circuit with fastest straight they ever ran it and quoted the 280kph (its on the 1986 ETC DVD)).
As I read it, and only because of the most recent contribution, I read it once more, and I would believe that the 200 mph/320 kmh quote would be for the fully blown 1987 and beyond RS500 Cosworth, and not the 1986 XR4Ti. Interesting piece about RAS Sport trying to "help" the aerodynamics of the 240!

Jesper
Old 22 Nov 2010, 06:24 (Ref:2794111)   #159
Splendid Cat
Racer

Yes very interesting re: RAS and aerodynamic development. How, one has to ask, was this possible under Group A regs without Volvo going down the 500 model evolution route (again)? Again, VolvoGroupA, I'd be delighted to learn something new about these cars - please can you expand? Photos - most folk are eagle-eyed on this forum-?
Old 22 Nov 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2794127)   #160
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
This numbers was mapped on the Awuz-straight on the Nürbergring, the Volvo drivers explained it when hitting 290 km/h, due to the not so aerodynamic 240, it was like to hit a wall!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2794140)   #161
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Yes very interesting re: RAS and aerodynamic development. How, one has to ask, was this possible under Group A regs without Volvo going down the 500 model evolution route (again)? Again, VolvoGroupA, I'd be delighted to learn something new about these cars - please can you expand? Photos - most folk are eagle-eyed on this forum-?
This was pretty controversial done by the RAS-Team, since altering the body was not allowed by the FISA rules. So there was no additional 500 Evolution models. This was done on the RAS #1 and #2 (no the one RAS #2 with centred wipers). This however made a problem closing both the doors and the hood. And like I said, its very hard to spot and I don't have the numbers on how many millimetres the front was lowered, a very discrete job done by the RAS Engineers.

The rebuilding was in the chassie, what they did was lifting the the side members in the engineroom, and then the would cut down the inner fenders, this which would place the fenders lower and making the profile of the car lower. The fenders and hood was untouched, just forced to place.

Only photo and angle I can think this could be seen from is this one, taken by Brendan McFarlane. Give me a opinion of what you think!

Old 22 Nov 2010, 08:49 (Ref:2794150)   #162
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Thank you for the links, KA. I know of the Scottish based Gillanders car, but even on a broader perspect, I think the Volvo 240 Turbo as a Group A rally car was rarety. Susan Kottulinsky are the only example I can think of in mid-1980s international rallying, when the same model of car won the ETCC and early DTM.

Jesper
But it was Bernt-Inge Steffansson in a red 240 group-A Turbo, Roger Wennerstrand, Stig-Olov Walfridsson was some of the swedes that was present at the same time in the mid-1980's. All was very successful!

Roger Wennerstrand/Peter Eskilsson.

Bernt-Inge Steffansson/Matti Hakkala - Photo by Norbert Vogel.

Stig-Olov "Stecka" Walfridsson - Photo by Norbert Vogel.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2794707)   #163
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Brickyard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I feel like this Luis, I want you to contribute to this thread if you have something to contribute with or just put in questions in the thread. Sorry if I seemed mad or something. Just continue to visit this thread

Friends?
Off course, Friends Forever.

I've talked yesterday with a friend which is well connected and he will have some news about Mendes car next week. I can hardly wait.
As soon as I have those news, I'll post them here.

Best regards
Luis
Old 23 Nov 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2794712)   #164
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Off course, Friends Forever.

I've talked yesterday with a friend which is well connected and he will have some news about Mendes car next week. I can hardly wait.
As soon as I have those news, I'll post them here.

Best regards
Luis
Sound great Luis!

A friend of mine once was a speculator of Artur Mendes car, and I can understand why to since its a great car with great history!

I'll wait until you come with some great news!
Old 23 Nov 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2794744)   #165
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good lads, nice to see the thread back in harmony!
Old 27 Nov 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2796434)   #166
Jesper OH
Veteran

Has the Volvo 240 Turbo ever been produced as a 1/32 scale slot car? An old family tradition has recently been taken up and I'd like a "brick" - in fact several, because there were a number of cars or paint schemes with a history.

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 27 Nov 2010 at 13:38. Reason: . replaced by ?
Old 27 Nov 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2796537)   #167
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Has the Volvo 240 Turbo ever been produced as a 1/32 scale slot car? An old family tradition has recently been taken up and I'd like a "brick" - in fact several, because there were a number of cars or paint schemes with a history.

Jesper
I don't recall ever heard of it but I will talk with a friend that is a model car dealer, perhaps he know something? Next time I have business with him I'll ask.
Old 1 Dec 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2798219)   #168
zakspeed
Rookie

France
besancon,france
zakspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
24 heures de spa 1987
Old 2 Dec 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2798689)   #169
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakspeed View Post
24 heures de spa 1987
Great contribution Zakspeed! Thanks!
Old 2 Dec 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2798702)   #170
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
I started to think about this after reading zakspeed's reply

Did you all know that the Team that Peggen Andersson droved for in Thailand was named Zepspeed. There is a funny story behind this.

The team manager for the Volvo Thailand team, a man from Iran with the name Sep Khodayar. Sep had worked with the German Zakspeed years before he came to Thailand, then he came up with the idea of naming the Thailand Vovlo team Zepspeed, by simply taking his own name and putting it in front of the "speed" and then Sep change the S to a Z and the name Zepspeed was the brillian result!

Sep Khodayar is the 3rd man from the left with a moustache.

And Peggen Andersson in his Volvo driving under the Zepspeed Thailand Team, he was never beaten!
Old 4 Dec 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2799490)   #171
f-team0
Rookie

Germany
würzburg, germany
f-team0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volvo 240 Turbo Herbert Hürter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
BTW,
in 1985 and 1986 a german driver called Herbert Hürter raced a 240 Turbo on the European Hillclimb Championship.
Any informations of what car could it be? An ex-factory car? Which one?

Regards,
Luis
Hey Brickyard,

I read, that you are looking for informations to the car of my dead father, Herbert Hürter Volvo 240 Turbo from European Hillclimb Championship in 1985 and 1986.
This car is still existent in good condition in my garage.
If you have some questions, as me.

Best wishes
Franz
Old 4 Dec 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2799491)   #172
zakspeed
Rookie

France
besancon,france
24 hours spa 1988
Attached Thumbnails
spa88 38 2.jpg   spa88 38.jpg  
Old 4 Dec 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2799571)   #173
VolvoGroupA
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-team0 View Post
Hey Brickyard,

I read, that you are looking for informations to the car of my dead father, Herbert Hürter Volvo 240 Turbo from European Hillclimb Championship in 1985 and 1986.
This car is still existent in good condition in my garage.
If you have some questions, as me.

Best wishes
Franz
Hi Franz,

What is the story of your late fathers Volvo, can you tell us? Perhaps some images?

Thanks!
Old 4 Dec 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2799576)   #174
zakspeed
Rookie

France
besancon,france
european championships montain
saint ursanne les rangiers 1985
herbert hurter
Attached Thumbnails
les rangiers 85hurter.jpg  
Old 5 Dec 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2799861)   #175
f-team0
Rookie

Germany
würzburg, germany
f-team0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi VolvoGroupA

Quote:
Hi Franz,

What is the story of your late fathers Volvo, can you tell us? Perhaps some images?

Thanks!
Hi VolvoGroupA,

this car was build in Würzburg/Germany 1984/1985 at an 2-doors US-Volvo 240 Turbo chassis.
After a contract, that we only drive european and international hillclimb championates an no race events with other cars, powerd by volvo schweden, engine, some special parts and instructions to build this group A volvo 240 turbo was delivery by volvo sweden.
This car stay 1988 in Colorado USA at the legendare Checker Pikes Peak Auto Hill Climb.
Result: Fast Qualifiyer and 2. Place group A prod. division July 8. 1988!
Some pictures you will find at www.herbert-hürter.de.

Best wishes
Franz G.

Tags
eggenberger, etcc, group a, ras sport, ulf granberg, volvo 240t