Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:19 (Ref:4026244)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm roasting a peasant for lunch which will no doubt be washed down with a few glasses of rich Italian (in this case) red wine. It was going to be a pheasant but due to covid there haven't been any shoots.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:27 (Ref:4026247)   #27
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm roasting a peasant for lunch which will no doubt be washed down with a few glasses of rich Italian (in this case) red wine. It was going to be a pheasant but due to covid there haven't been any shoots.

What, not even green shoots like we have been promised for years?
Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:29 (Ref:4026248)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It was going to be a pheasant but due to covid there haven't been any shoots.
Ha, you dont catch them by hand? Try with shrimps first, it helps! Since you Bxit' we're not allowed to roast peasants here, because of the strong caramel smell! Happy New Year Peter.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4026260)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
2021 - so far. 11 hours in and I've not broken a single resolution. I should be going out for a celebration lunch, but of course we're in Tier 3 so the pub is shut. Nil desperandum. There's Goodwood Speedweek on the TV thanks to my new Chromecast thingy bob, a bottle of beer to welcome in another year of Maxdom, and even a sneaky bowl of crisps. Heaven!

Happy birthday Max.

Given it's a bit chill (or it is around here) a home and TV lunch sounds quite attractive providing suitable comestibles and refreshment are to hand.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 12:24 (Ref:4026267)   #30
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Sorry I was waiting for the bells so had to close the old one a few minutes early.

Feeling somewhat hopeful about 2021 but I'm sure something will dash those feelings.

You're forgiven, Peter - I was a bit "on the minutes", and you've had an increase in board management workload - for which work, many thanks

I should of course have added to my post that I was about to formally open the calendar and now have, instead of Mike's truck, Mike's smiling face overlooking my laptop The first couple of months are looking a bit empty, but I've a fair few race dates entered from March onwards - lets just hope we can all enjoy them
Old 1 Jan 2021, 12:37 (Ref:4026268)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
You're forgiven, Peter - I was a bit "on the minutes", and you've had an increase in board management workload - for which work, many thanks

I should of course have added to my post that I was about to formally open the calendar and now have, instead of Mike's truck, Mike's smiling face overlooking my laptop The first couple of months are looking a bit empty, but I've a fair few race dates entered from March onwards - lets just hope we can all enjoy them
🥂🥃🍺🍻🍸🍹🍾🍷
Old 1 Jan 2021, 13:45 (Ref:4026276)   #32
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ooh I forgot the calendar. Best pop into the office and open it

Thanks for the good wishes.

M

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Jan 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4026285)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Happy Birthday Max.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4026291)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Happy birthday Max, you're still only a lad though
Hopefully I can attend a few meetings this year and meet up to tell you how to do it !
Lets hope that this virus will be got on top of and bring some sort of normality back into our lives
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Jan 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4026295)   #35
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Happy birthday, young Max! Seems you are the youngest of "the" Club!
Bachi-bouzouk!
Old 1 Jan 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4026321)   #36
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well if Lewis can do it then so can I
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sir Gordon Streeter.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	66017
Actually it's an Emmy that belongs to a friend that lives up the road that is an editor on Game Of Thrones :laugh
https://www.emmys.com/bios/tim-porter-ace

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 1 Jan 2021 at 18:51.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Jan 2021, 19:25 (Ref:4026330)   #37
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Happy (almost belated) birthday Max, and HNY to everyone else.
Couldn't get up until midday - haven't had a hangover like that for a few years!
Went to my storage unit this afternoon, had a good tidy up and put antifreeze in the Lenham. Then back home, put the engine & box back in my old FISC racer so I can shut the garage door and work in the warm. Start as you wish to continue is this year's resolution, must keep busy.
Happy days.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 09:17 (Ref:4026408)   #38
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
David, une fois n'est pas coutume, I'm jealous, really. The two cars I wanted to use are in bits, I'll forget about the third, and the first I'll use will probably be the Mazda. Not a really exciting idea given the poor p/w ratio. But, all in all, much better than nothing. Lest go racing. Happy sideways, merry kerbs, blessed curves and f... the apex!
Old 2 Jan 2021, 09:29 (Ref:4026409)   #39
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Belated birthday wishes Max and a HHNY to all.

Mike would have been flattered & slightly embarrassed by the title, what better way to keep him in our thoughts.

Be careful out there people, hope to see some of you at a race circuit as I’ve had my V12 race engine rebuilt for my XJS, ‘just’ need to have it installed now, as unfortunately it didn’t come with free fitting.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 14:37 (Ref:4026436)   #40
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Something that annoys me more than a lot is reading, as one does from time to time, that due to climate change we will never see snow again. This came up, yet again, on a few sites only about a week or so ago, but it frustrates the hell out of me because, at this moment, I am looking out a virtual white out.

Up here, it has been snowing off and on, since Boxing Day with between 4 and 6 inches dumped on one day alone. And it has been snowing off and on all day today, so far, and looking at the leaden skies, that looks set to carry on for some hours.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 15:27 (Ref:4026444)   #41
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Something that annoys me more than a lot is reading, as one does from time to time, that due to climate change we will never see snow again. This came up, yet again, on a few sites only about a week or so ago, but it frustrates the hell out of me because, at this moment, I am looking out a virtual white out.

Up here, it has been snowing off and on, since Boxing Day with between 4 and 6 inches dumped on one day alone. And it has been snowing off and on all day today, so far, and looking at the leaden skies, that looks set to carry on for some hours.
Mike, I suppose it depends just where you live, at the moment we are stuck in Kent where I have lived mostly for the last 73 years. We certainly don't have the snow and long periods of freezing weather that we used to have when I was growing up in the 50/60s.
I know that our minds do play tricks with us as the years go on but our local "rag" often prints old pictures and stories from years ago showing huge snow drifts and frozen lakes that we certainly haven't had for years.
OK so we have over wintered in Spain for the last 20 odd years but with modern technology I have been able to keep an eye on our UK property from a distance.
What I have also observed is the rising sea level around our Spanish residence by looking at old cine film and photos that I have taken since 1973.
As the Mediterranean doesn't have any tides to speak of I can tell that we have lost about 2mt of beach over that time and some of our favourite "secret" skinny dip ones have disappeared altogether.
As I am typing this we have blue skies and no snow, saying that I might wake up to a foot of it tomorrow
Old 2 Jan 2021, 16:11 (Ref:4026450)   #42
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gordon, I'm 74, so we share the some of the same memories from years gone by. In fact, I travelled through Kent by train on Boxing Day every year on my way via Dover to catch a ferry over to France on my way to skiing in either Switzerland or Austria for the winter. And you could almost guarantee that we would see snow as we went through Kent.

Now, I am not in any way denying that the weather hasn't changed over the years. Even up here, and I am a softie from North London, I would say that the winters are certainly milder than in years gone by. Conversely, I can state that categorically that the summers are not nearly as hot as they used to be when I was 9 or 10 years old; so hot that it was impossible to sleep, some nights.

During my teen years, I went to school not very far from Delta Towers, in Wallingford, alongside the Thames in Oxfordshire. One winter, we had so much snow that the coaches couldn't get in to the school at the end of term so we were stuck there for days when we should have been going home for Easter. And another year, the reverse happened; we were unable to start the Summer term because the school was snowed in, meaning that our coaches wouldn't be able to drive in.

No, what gets my goat is the exaggeration by the journalists in the media. Yes, it is probably a tad less cool in the winter than in years gone by, and overall a fraction warmer during the summer, but I think that we are a long way from a time when we wouldn't see snow in the UK.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 16:35 (Ref:4026454)   #43
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I think that we are a long way from a time when we wouldn't see snow in the UK.
Should you be proved wrong, Mike, you can now import some snow from Austria or France with a preferential import tax rate…*From Switzerland will be another story! Happy NY to you, keep safe and smiling.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 16:48 (Ref:4026455)   #44
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry about the snow, Mike - must have been my fault - here East Lancs we had a beautiful sunny (if -5C cold) morning.......until I went down to our local Tesco where as I queued outside - for the first time since early lockdown days - it started snowing. By the time I got out with the essentials of life (bacon, eggs, mushrooms, muffins and milk, and of course cheese) it was settling quickly.

Fortunately I'd gone on my trusty Freelander (the only one that had defrosted in the sunshine ) so I was able to battle home through the 2" drifts

Milady of course being some 15 years older than me waxes lyrical about the winter of 47 - from which time she has a photo of her brother leaning with his elbow on the top of a telegraph pole as he stood on top of a drift.

Actually the most snow I've seen in recent years was when we were on Tenerife in December a few years ago and the snowfall in the Teide caldera was so deep the roads were closed - the locals thought it fantastic - loading up pickup trucks with snow to drive at pace back down the mountain to build snowmen back at home.....I even saw one with a snowman built on the bonnet as he drove (rather more slowly) back down the hill!
Old 2 Jan 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4026458)   #45
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
By the time I got out with the essentials of life (bacon, eggs, mushrooms, muffins and milk, and of course cheese) it was settling quickly.
Even though you obviously forgot the beer, you know how to treat yourself, Richard! After such a diet, dont come and complain about the seconds it takes to change the driver during an enduro! Serious!
Old 2 Jan 2021, 17:27 (Ref:4026464)   #46
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Mike I'm old enough to know how cold winters were when I was younger.
Snow would last for weeks at a time and I remember the first winter after I started work in late 1962. I travelled in to Leeds by train and for week after week the fields and roadsides were thick with snow well in to February/March 1963. Afraid I don't remember 1947 as I would have been just turning 3 years old.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 19:23 (Ref:4026482)   #47
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I remember that winter . I would of been nine . Seemed to go on for ages . Happy Days
Old 2 Jan 2021, 19:44 (Ref:4026483)   #48
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 63 winter in Aberdeen was just perfect for a 7 or 8 year old. Apart from all the usual snow fun I remember jumping off the back of the bus (open platform on the back) and hanging on while another kid did the same until there were half a dozen of us holding hands in a long string being towed along (probably only walking pace) and all this encouraged by a cheery conductor. When the bus got stuck everyone else got off as well and helped push. Health & safety? We survived!

I think it was 86 or 87 in Kent when we had the worst snow. There wasn't an Aberdeen quantity of it but what there was blew off the fields into huge drifts and filled the lanes to the top of the hedges. A neighbour trudging along with a long stick stuck it in the snow and found himself sitting in the back of a 2CV, the roof had ripped open. Nearby we found a Range Rover with the side missing after the army had dug us out using huge mechanical loading shovels. Another neighbour was sent home in an army Land Rover after an op and after trying all day to get up to us they had to take him back to hospital. And because we had a 1 year old we had helicopter airdrops of supplies. Nothing like it since.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 20:07 (Ref:4026485)   #49
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
The bad winter of 1962/3 I had to pushbike to work about 5 miles away and as the roads were icy I must have fell off at least 3 times most days. Some mates and me had ice skates and we used to skate along the main road into our village.
In our nearest town (Tunbridge Wells) all the cleared snow from the roads/pavements was dumped into a massive heap on the common and it was still there after Easter.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 20:19 (Ref:4026487)   #50
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Back in the old days, the one of the worst years for snow for us in North London would be 1967 or 68. I still lived at home, and when I got up to go to work, all I could see of my Hillman Imp was the top 6 inches of the car and the roof' and that was not drift, but just how much snow had fallen overnight. Instead of a twenty minute drive into work, I walked to the nearest tube station, went into Central London to get a train back out to Tottenham - buses weren't running; all of which took about 3 hours.

Whilst at work I walked along to my friendly car accessory shop and purchased a set of chains, which I fitted the next morning as that was the only way that I could have driven to work, the roads still being snow covered. And for my sins, I had to take my father and a neighbour to their work as they couldn't drive. That was the first time that I have ever known for my father to not go to work, apart from holidays - he had plenty of those!
Closed Thread