Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 May 2023, 15:36 (Ref:4156425)   #226
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
A friend of mine is there. Paddock has been evacuated as the river behind it (the Santerno?) is almost 20 feet higher than normal. Water is almost up the base of the back wall of the paddock, if it gets any higher it's going to be really bad.
The worst of the weather seems to have passed through now in the south.

I guess it depends on how much fell in the catchment area?
Old 16 May 2023, 19:53 (Ref:4156475)   #227
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The worst of the weather seems to have passed through now in the south.

I guess it depends on how much fell in the catchment area?
Seeing photos and videos on social media showing how much the water as risen in the river. I saw one photo showing water in the car park behind the garages. As mentioned above, has the water peaked or is more runoff expected with the water still rising? They say less rain tomorrow, but potential for rain during the weekend.

Richard
Old 16 May 2023, 20:15 (Ref:4156477)   #228
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
A friend of mine is there. Paddock has been evacuated as the river behind it (the Santerno?) is almost 20 feet higher than normal. Water is almost up the base of the back wall of the paddock, if it gets any higher it's going to be really bad.
Article from Autosport here. Have to say that it feels like the event could be in question, with rain forecast through to Sunday and alert status all around it, recommendations to not travel etc. Plus of course, as the article mentions, waterlogged carparks and the rest make it hard to setup for the event and harder to run it.

Ultimately, it may be that the decision is made that it's not a good look to stage a GP in area suffering from flooding - or the opposite of that.
Old 16 May 2023, 20:39 (Ref:4156481)   #229
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Article from Autosport here. Have to say that it feels like the event could be in question, with rain forecast through to Sunday and alert status all around it, recommendations to not travel etc. Plus of course, as the article mentions, waterlogged carparks and the rest make it hard to setup for the event and harder to run it.

Ultimately, it may be that the decision is made that it's not a good look to stage a GP in area suffering from flooding - or the opposite of that.
I have a feeling that the regional authorities may be the ones who wield the hammer. It would not be good having several hundred thousand people entering an emergency zone, really!
Old 16 May 2023, 20:46 (Ref:4156482)   #230
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Local reporting now states that the next 24hrs are key in monitoring the river level.

There seems to be full confidence that the weather from Wednesday onwards will cause no risk to the race being able to be held, but preparation of the circuit is the limiting factor.
Old 16 May 2023, 22:21 (Ref:4156491)   #231
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Lucky F1 has had plenty of recent practice running races with no spectators.

The Aussie media article was hilarious "fans call for Imola race to be cancelled amid flooding" - with a few screenshots from about four random F1 fan accounts saying the race should be canned. Media is in a sad state of affairs.
Old 16 May 2023, 22:24 (Ref:4156492)   #232
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Local reporting now states that the next 24hrs are key in monitoring the river level.

There seems to be full confidence that the weather from Wednesday onwards will cause no risk to the race being able to be held, but preparation of the circuit is the limiting factor.
The problem is the like of the emergency services etc. who are needed for the event, but actually have more pressing work elsewhere right now. It's up to the Local Government.
Old 17 May 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4156509)   #233
v8supes
Racer

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A decision will be made this morning. Judging from Twitter my personal opinion is that we are heading towards cancellation. The support race paddock is underwater.
Old 17 May 2023, 08:19 (Ref:4156510)   #234
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
There is no reason not to cancel it, really. It's not like there isn't another Grand Prix only next weekend, in an already record length calendar. Although the Saudi Arabian GP wasn't cancelled last year under the threat of a missile strike, so I wouldn't be so sure.
Old 17 May 2023, 08:26 (Ref:4156514)   #235
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
A decision will be made this morning. Judging from Twitter my personal opinion is that we are heading towards cancellation. The support race paddock is underwater.
2 feet deep in some places. On top of that there's a lot of displaced people in the hotels being used by some of the teams - I had a message this morning that "hotel reception is packed with flood victims, loads of kids and dogs".

The authorities have asked people to not travel into the hardest hit areas.
Old 17 May 2023, 11:29 (Ref:4156541)   #236
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Update on the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola

It's been called off. That was the correct and proper thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula One Press Office
The decision has been taken because it is not possible to safely hold the event for our fans, the teams and our personnel and it is the right and responsible thing to do given the situation faced by the towns and cities in the region. It would not be right to put further pressure on the local authorities and emergency services at this difficult time.
Old 17 May 2023, 11:36 (Ref:4156543)   #237
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6th or 20th of August with an agreement to reduce the summer break by a week would seem the only feasible dates if it were to be rescheduled rather than an outright cancellation (which is looking the most likely outcome).

Either that or run it on the 10th September, the week after Monza. But I can't see that being feasible a) due to it being back-to-back Italian races, possibly dimishing stature of both and b) perhaps more importantly, would see the teams having to run 5 consecutive weekends, they're already doing on-on-off-on-on at that point of the season.
Old 17 May 2023, 16:12 (Ref:4156604)   #238
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know the teams have several sets of kit but if the paddock is sealed off and out of bounds as I has been suggested, do any of the teams have kit in there that would be going to Monaco after the Imola race. Or leap frogging to Barcelona?

If so will they be able to get it, or could this have a knock on effect especially for the smaller teams at Barcelona?
Old 18 May 2023, 07:13 (Ref:4156673)   #239
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sad there won't be a race at Imola, but it's the right decision. They would look foolish to go ahead with a state of emergency going on around. Shame it's unlikely to be rescheduled, but I'd easily drop Qatar to make way for it. Imola adds more to the calendar than some other GPs on the calendar
Old 18 May 2023, 07:32 (Ref:4156677)   #240
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is definitely the right decision to take and cancel. Support for affected people is paramount and F1 is insignificant to it

I doubt they can reschedule - the logistics for this year have already been set for the other races, tracks have a window of time they can hold events, I doubt they can accommodate changes to their schedules that easily. Also make summer break shorter? - I am sure all teams and staff have already planned the activites for summer break and how to work around it so now making changes might be disruptive

I get it we as fans hate to lose a race, but sometimes it is how things go and not much we can do about it - I am sure the logistical aspect of F1 calendar is massive and not easy to make changes.
Old 18 May 2023, 10:52 (Ref:4156687)   #241
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Sad there won't be a race at Imola, but it's the right decision. They would look foolish to go ahead with a state of emergency going on around. Shame it's unlikely to be rescheduled, but I'd easily drop Qatar to make way for it. Imola adds more to the calendar than some other GPs on the calendar
Contrast with a outdoor Bruce Springsteen concert that is going on tonight in a nearby flood affected area.F1 did the right thing both practically and ethically.
Old 18 May 2023, 14:13 (Ref:4156715)   #242
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Contrast with a outdoor Bruce Springsteen concert that is going on tonight in a nearby flood affected area.F1 did the right thing both practically and ethically.

Yes, it shows they have learned lessons from Australia 2020 and Spa 2021
Old 19 May 2023, 08:01 (Ref:4156797)   #243
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, it appears we are unanimous in our support of Formula 1 management and the FIA.

It's a pity it took en event like horrendous flooding to achieve it.
Old 19 May 2023, 08:43 (Ref:4156798)   #244
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
So, it appears we are unanimous in our support of Formula 1 management and the FIA.

It's a pity it took en event like horrendous flooding to achieve it.
Well they do they say the worst events bring out the best in people
Old 19 May 2023, 10:44 (Ref:4156808)   #245
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Contrast with a outdoor Bruce Springsteen concert that is going on tonight in a nearby flood affected area.
Bad call, they've suffered enough.
Old 19 May 2023, 12:31 (Ref:4156820)   #246
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I know the teams have several sets of kit but if the paddock is sealed off and out of bounds as I has been suggested, do any of the teams have kit in there that would be going to Monaco after the Imola race. Or leap frogging to Barcelona?

If so will they be able to get it, or could this have a knock on effect especially for the smaller teams at Barcelona?

Having seen the scenes of the Pirelli and other trucks axle deep in the paddock, as well as some of the associated "pop-up" structures, I'm sure it is something of an issue - although of course Monaco has such a constricted paddock that much of the usual "Hospitality" infrastructure isn't used there.
Old 19 May 2023, 16:43 (Ref:4156856)   #247
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interestingly enough... I just received an email saying that due to the Imola race cancellation, they are extending my F1TV subscription by seven days free of charge.

Richard
Old 20 May 2023, 04:49 (Ref:4156887)   #248
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
S Domenicali announces that "F1" will send one million Euros to Emilia Romagna region. When you think that this region already had to pay for the GP and given that one million -when it reaches its destination which has to be proven!- is monkey money… Ferrari will help too, pocket money one million. Yes I know I'm a fookin' boy scout.
Old 20 May 2023, 07:09 (Ref:4156892)   #249
S griffin
Veteran

At least it's something. Seeing what I saw on the telly they need all the help they can get in that area
Old 22 May 2023, 14:02 (Ref:4157451)   #250
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
S Domenicali announces that "F1" will send one million Euros to Emilia Romagna region. When you think that this region already had to pay for the GP and given that one million -when it reaches its destination which has to be proven!- is monkey money… Ferrari will help too, pocket money one million. Yes I know I'm a fookin' boy scout.
That sounds a bit childish snotty honestly. I don't know what their outlay is and what the "we will not proceed" force majeure clauses entail in track reimbursements. But I guess they should just charge them and not offer any money to make you happy??