Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 4 May 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1600732)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2007 Moto GP Grid

Maybe it's too early to discuss this, but I found some interesting comments from Toby Moody about next year's Moto GP grid. He's concerned about the number of bikes/teams we could see next year with the pending switch to 800cc. Specifically, would the likes of Ducati and Yamaha be able to develop their own factory bikes and supply D'Antin and Tech 3 with new bikes?

I suppose Honda can supply the existing four teams and six bikes for next year. So perhaps 6 Hondas and 2 each for Ducati, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. That's 14 entries assuming that LCR and Konica Minolta are safe. Where would the other entries come from?

Would/could Honda supply more teams? Can Yamaha and Ducati?

Would the Robert's engine deal remain in place?

Any new manufacturers for next year?

I'd hate to see a reduction in the grid. Article found here (comments on pages 3 and 4):

http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Moo...~id~129407.htm
Old 4 May 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1600748)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i wonder if a move like we had in F1 with the restricted V10 could work in MotoGP too ..
there could even be teams runnig restricted Suzuki bikes and be . competitive .

Ciao Marco
Old 4 May 2006, 16:53 (Ref:1600752)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good call. Hadn't thought of that. Interesting, wonder if the powers that be have considered that?
Old 4 May 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1600755)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Although, how competitive would they be allowed to be? It's a case of getting the grid size up, but certainly the factory teams wont be happy to be bested by restricted bikes. And thus adjustments can be made during the season ala Formula 1 and Torro Roso.

Also, noticed a blurb in the article that Ducati are interested in Rossi. How plausable is that?
Old 4 May 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1600785)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
very .. i bet they were interested in him since day 1

regarding engine restrictions .. it's the same as Formula 1 .. just make sure they dont win . or beat the manufacturers too often ..

Ciao Marco
Old 4 May 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1600864)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think Vale will probly rcae for Yamaha maybe at least 1 year as he is possibly already involved in development work for the 800, they wont want tolet him go to Ducati if at all with any knowledge of the new Yam!

Think the F1 dream is fading thank goodness so maybe the next best thing would be Vale on a Duke, lets face it Loris is getting on a bit though could stil win a title and Sete is a bit of a has been!

Only trouble is what happens with Bridgestone! Vale is teh Michelin golden boy after all, look at the adverts!!
Old 5 May 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1601343)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Regarding the BMW rumor, what are the chances that they will enter Moto GP in 2007?
Old 6 May 2006, 04:33 (Ref:1601555)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My amateur analysis was that they were looking to work with pons, which would work out nicely as they could get their operations together for entery next year.

But, they've tested a bike with Jeremy Mac, so i'd say "Strong".
Old 8 May 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1603421)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Yeah, just saw a pic of the test mule in my latest issue of Motorcyclist. It would sure be good to see them join the grid.
Old 9 May 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1604505)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not too sure about the BMW thing really, its been rumoured for a long time now and thouhgt we have at least seen piccies of a test ule, it remains to be seen whether they actually race it.
Having said that it would seem to be a bit of a waste to build summt like that and not race it!

Good choice in Jezza to test it as he is so experienced!

Would be nice to see but I reckon they might have been scuppered by the new rules!
Old 3 Aug 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1672405)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Biaggi on a satalite Ducati next year? I suppose it's possible, but I wonder how probable.

http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Bia...~id~134885.htm
Old 3 Aug 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1672565)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also, Carl Fogarty has said he is interested in bringing his team to MotoGP, and would like James Toseland to be one of the riders.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 21:51 (Ref:1672615)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Beat me to it Boots. I just read that as well.

http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Fog...~id~134925.htm

Hope he finds a sponsor.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1672699)   #14
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be very interesting.

We could have annother underperforming Superbike Rider to boot.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 05:28 (Ref:1672782)   #15
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Foggy thought, hey if we can't crack WSBK then let's try MotoGP. Bound to be easier! Especially with a guy who has no MotoGP experience on board one of the bikes! I can't wait.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1673026)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Haha Haz, guess you would want Anthony West on that bike then eh!

Dont really think Fogarty has enough clout to run a GP team yet to be honest, his and the teams ability to run a team at that level is not yet proven.

I think he will stay in WSB or maybe even step back to BSB

As for Toseland, hot rumour is that he will be joined by Barros in 07, Muggas get the sack for totally underperforming this year!
Old 5 Aug 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1674330)   #17
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
well . smaller field in MotoGP .. so even last is still gonna be higher than in SBK

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Aug 2006, 06:29 (Ref:1674613)   #18
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Don't bag WSBK Dani...after all at the end of this year Toni Elias will need somewhere to race.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1674738)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Carl would probably have to team up with somebody, but the WSBK effort was always hamstrung by having an unsuited bike, which is probably why Petronas are pulling out. A fresh start might be jsut what the team needs.
Old 11 Aug 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1680028)   #20
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Some updates regarding the new bikes:

Regarding WCM:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...es/5130280.stm

Spymovie, regarding the Ilmor project:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?pa...y=SPORT_MOTOGP
and some pics:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/jpeg/523/14741472.jpeg
http://moto.caradisiac.com/IMG/jpg/Ilien-Suter.jpg

And finally a picture of the 800cc Ducati machine:
http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/ima...800_001rrr.jpg
Old 12 Aug 2006, 05:45 (Ref:1680413)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Don't bag WSBK Dani...after all at the end of this year Toni Elias will need somewhere to race.
I think Dani meant that Fogarty's bikes running last in MotoGP would still be running in a higher position than Fogarty's bikes currently are in WSB, as the MotoGP class hasn't got as many bikes.....
Old 12 Aug 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1680536)   #22
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Fantastic news regarding WCM!
Old 13 Aug 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1681660)   #23
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
It seems transition from WSBK to MotoGP is difficult. I think of it as going from CART (now Champ) to F1. If you are a megastar in SBK you don't have guarantee of success in MotoGP, but if you are a great rider you are going to show it in virtually any category. The implication of this is SBK's level is probably somewhat lower than MotoGP's, skill wise. Transition from MotoGP to SBK is probably not easy but I think it is easier than the other.

So, one has to think carefully if one chooses to switch to MotoGP after not a too brilliant season in SBK. Probably, disappointment will be the result.

Two years ago Xaus (good SBK rider but not a megastar) did a surprisingly good season in MotoGP, but the year after he was pretty mediocre. Great stars from SBK (Bayliss, Edwards, Haga) have not done a good impression in MotoGP. It is exciting to have them in FIM races, but, sadly, they have not been in top positions (regularly).

In particular, Haga was a big disappointment, I really hoped his brilliant style could make great things in MotoGP races, but... Probably he never adapted well to his bike. It's a pity because I would be watching a Haga-McCoy fight all the day
Old 14 Aug 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1681684)   #24
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
The thing about Xaus was, I knew he was crap. He'd been fired 3 times from the factory Ducati squad, but some how managed to get in their MotoGP program, then Hodgson just had all the bad luck in the world with bits falling off his bike and being taken out by Hopkins at the first corner, but it was Xaus who got the Tech 3 contract in his pocket.

And he then promptly under-performed. Well done Yamaha.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 05:46 (Ref:1681763)   #25
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
But Xaus overqualified Hodgson 12-4 along the 2004 season, so Xaus showed unexpected brilliance against Hodg. Of course, readily, next year he was nowhere.