Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Aug 2017, 00:43 (Ref:3759857)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michelin GT Challenge At VIRginia International Raceway

• VIR • Aug. 25th – 27th
Schedule
Entry List
Track Map
IMSA Radio
IMSA Site
Spotters Guide
Satellite
Weather
World Times

Qualifying: Saturday Aug. 26th, 12:20pm local EDST

L.P.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 00:45 (Ref:3759858)   #2
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BoP is out.

https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...nd_gtd_bop.pdf

L.P.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3759947)   #3
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Cooper's car still in the Porsche. Also what is most intriguing about the BoP updates is what was not done. Mercedes is still handicapped rather unfairly. Does IMSA want the out of the series?!

Still VIR is always a favorite of mine with the all GT format. Very pleased to see VIR and Lime Rock remain all GT for 2018!

Its a blessing for some and a logistical concern for others (like me) in that the track is so isolated. I don't think any track IMSA runs on is more "off the beaten path" than VIR. Its just a few hours drive from my home but I can't ever make it because of logistical issues involving my family.
Old 17 Aug 2017, 13:51 (Ref:3759954)   #4
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Cooper's car still in the Porsche. Also what is most intriguing about the BoP updates is what was not done. Mercedes is still handicapped rather unfairly. Does IMSA want the out of the series?!
Mercedes set the 2nd fastest lap time in the race. Why would they get a BoP brake?
Old 18 Aug 2017, 01:39 (Ref:3760064)   #5
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First trip to VIR, looking forward to it.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 03:32 (Ref:3760083)   #6
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Love this track even though I've never been in person. I almost went to the PWC weekend earlier in the year but it fell through. It's hard to justify going far away to see a short GT only race when Petit is coming up pretty soon.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 11:08 (Ref:3760136)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Well, this is disappointing. :\
Old 20 Aug 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3760576)   #8
btracing82
Rookie

btracing82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well been looking forward to this one since sebring my home race only two hours down the road unfortunately I have broken my foot and two screws so going to be hopping around on crutches hopefully I will be ready for Petit. (God knows I will need it with those hills) The weather is looking absolutely amazing so far for this one couldn't ask for better a better forecast and certainly beats the heat of the past few years. I just hope this BoP doesn't favor the Vettes to much they needed help but that was a lot that they gave them and as for the Mercedes in GTD I have no idea what they are doing there.
Old 20 Aug 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3760578)   #9
btracing82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
First trip to VIR, looking forward to it.
you'll love it don't expect something like road Atlanta or sebring the infield itself is limited you cant get up to Oak Tree without going out the track by car or golf cart and watch from outside the track but there plenty of great places to watch from the infield from turn 3 to 7 and the roller coaster threw hog pen. The only real issue other then not being able to get to oak tree from inside the track is there is no way to see pit lane other then literally being behind the fence from the pit stall and you cant see the run from the last corner to the finish line if your sitting between 3 and 4 you can see the finish line but not the run to it. All in all though its a gorgeous track and I really believe and hope you enjoy your trip.
Old 20 Aug 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3760579)   #10
btracing82
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Love this track even though I've never been in person. I almost went to the PWC weekend earlier in the year but it fell through. It's hard to justify going far away to see a short GT only race when Petit is coming up pretty soon.
Dodged a bullet that would have been one hell of a drive for you and those SprintX races where disorganized and run like crap it was my first PWC race in person and I was disappointed I'm definitely willing to give them another chance heck I was even going to go to Mid-Ohio (9 hours) before I broke my foot but the VIR race was a disappointment and it didn't help they ran it the same weekend NASCAR was in Richmond so the crowd was horrible if they run there again next year I really hope they do a better job with the date and the overall show.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 05:49 (Ref:3760668)   #11
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btracing82 View Post
you'll love it don't expect something like road Atlanta or sebring the infield itself is limited you cant get up to Oak Tree without going out the track by car or golf cart and watch from outside the track but there plenty of great places to watch from the infield from turn 3 to 7 and the roller coaster threw hog pen. The only real issue other then not being able to get to oak tree from inside the track is there is no way to see pit lane other then literally being behind the fence from the pit stall and you cant see the run from the last corner to the finish line if your sitting between 3 and 4 you can see the finish line but not the run to it. All in all though its a gorgeous track and I really believe and hope you enjoy your trip.
Sounds kind of like Barber where you can't see the frontstraight, though you can't go in the infield at all there, just around the perimeter. Still another great track though. I'm trying to make it a priority to get to Rd. America next year, so hopefully they will have the Protos as part of the VIR round by the time I actually get there in a couple years, but who knows, maybe I can squeeze in a trip there before that.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3760975)   #12
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Sounds kind of like Barber where you can't see the frontstraight, though you can't go in the infield at all there, just around the perimeter. Still another great track though. I'm trying to make it a priority to get to Rd. America next year, so hopefully they will have the Protos as part of the VIR round by the time I actually get there in a couple years, but who knows, maybe I can squeeze in a trip there before that.
Disagree on the later. VIR is great for all GT racing. Great to get IMSA back going this weekend. Sportscar racing has as whole has been kind of quiet since the first weekend of August.

Kind of strange that August (at least this year) has been light with sportsar racing. WEC and Blancpain have had nothing this month. So they have not filled the void between the IMSA rounds. But alas VIR is coming up now. I think GTLM will be very tight this time between all 5 manufacturers. Corvette got a BoP break and Risi Ferrari is back.

Got a feeling somebody is going to dominate and run away with it in GTD again, just not sure who. Other than it won't be a Mercedes. We know their chronicles with unfair BoP.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3761248)   #13
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Barber is an immaculate facility and a not so great place to attend a race, imo. It's all viewed from the perimeter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's limited in spectator /viewing access. I have Road Atlanta to compare (mostly) which it the complete opposite of the previous statements, minus you can view from the outside starting at T8 to T1.

VIR, it seems that there's several portions that fans can't get to well (run down to Oak Tree, final corner, first 2 corners). It's a big place, too, but is 100x more enjoyable to view on the television than Barber.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 23 Aug 2017 at 19:30.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 21:35 (Ref:3761596)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gavin/Milner in the #4 Corvette tops the time sheets in Practice one with a 1:42.341

https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c...=72&sessid=485

Westbrook / Briscoe 67 Ford - 1:42.444
Vilander / Fishichella 62 Ferrari - 1:42.516 (welcome back)

Then 66 Ford, 3 Vette, 912 Porsche 25 BMW - 1:43.281

GTD
16 Lambo was fastest in class at 1:44.700
57 Audi, 63 Ferrari, 73 Porsche and 33 Merc top 5.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 22:06 (Ref:3761601)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Garcia / #3 Vette quickest in Practice 2 with a time quicker than last year's pole.

16 Lambo also quickest in Practice 2.

http://www.racer.com/images/2017/Aug...03_Results.PDF

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14349...e-sweep-at-vir
Old 26 Aug 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3761772)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lamborghini on gtd pole, and Ford in gtlm.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 02:06 (Ref:3761815)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
So, for a bit of perspective, an LMP900 set the fastest lap of the event in 2002 at a 1:39.618.

The pole lap in GTLM was set today at a 1:40.211, so not even 0.6 of a second difference.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 03:45 (Ref:3761830)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
So, for a bit of perspective, an LMP900 set the fastest lap of the event in 2002 at a 1:39.618.

The pole lap in GTLM was set today at a 1:40.211, so not even 0.6 of a second difference.
Same layout? Was there a recent repave? That's pretty fast for GTE to be near old lmp speeds.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3761847)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Same layout? Was there a recent repave? That's pretty fast for GTE to be near old lmp speeds.
VIR's layout has never changed. Was repaved in 2000 and 2014.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3761852)   #20
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And to be more accurate, the Grand Am cars in '02 weren't true LMP900s (they lacked rear diffusers) and they were also running on tires that probably weren't a good as the ALMS teams had available to them even back then.

Of course LMP1s in 2013 were lapping 8 seconds faster than they were 13 years earlier at Sebring, so who knows how much faster they'd be at VIR. Or the DPIs, which at most tracks thus far have been capable of lapping at least as fast as 2002 spec LMP900s.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3761994)   #21
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ALMS did run at VIR with protos, and in 2012 the Muscle Milk HPD ran a 1:35 in qualy while GT pole was 1:45 for the ESM ferrari.

http://www.imsatiming.com/results/20...Qualifying.pdf
Old 27 Aug 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3762045)   #22
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Green in a few minutes. Anybody watching?
Old 27 Aug 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3762046)   #23
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I won't be watching live because I know the family will keep me busy this afternoon. I'll have to hold off on all sportscar forums and web sites until Tuesday evening I imagine starting right about...NOW.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3762048)   #24
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
ALMS did run at VIR with protos, and in 2012 the Muscle Milk HPD ran a 1:35 in qualy while GT pole was 1:45 for the ESM ferrari.

http://www.imsatiming.com/results/20...Qualifying.pdf
GTLM times in qualifying are close to LMP2 in ALMS 2013 at VIR. I wonder if the DP/P2 cars of 2014-2016 ran today. They would barely be faster than the GTLM cars which really are quick around VIR. But I'm glad we don't have to worry about that or DPIs. Because VIR is a great track to have all GT racing.

I am very pleased that IMSA is keeping VIR and Lime Rock to be all GT races in 2018. Also removing GTD from Long Beach is probably a good thing. Although I would have preferred that also be all GT. But I guess that would have made the DPI schedule too light.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 17:34 (Ref:3762049)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I've got it via FS1 on the Tube. Was hoping someone would have one of those cool un-geoblocked YouTube links.