Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Jul 2003, 15:48 (Ref:660886)   #1
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saturday Goodwood Practice - I could put on a better show!

Went to Saturday practice at Goodwood. A victim of it's own sucess I guess. Too many happy spectators to see much motor action.Glad I didn't fork out for the overcrowded grandstands. What we did see was 50% wow 50% joke.
Some drivers ,like Gerry Marshall, really have still got what it takes. However the ponce that set of up the hill before him in a be-winged Dodge Charger should consider his future as he could have overtaken by an agressive G.M.who was not amused, I'm sure. Would love to hear Gerry's comment in the paddock bar afterwards.
I don't care what a car's value is, if you demo before 60,000 paying punters, you owe it to them to give it a go. Not cruise on by. When I hillclimb my Healey in club events,I always give 110% commitment as a matter of self respect, despite always driving the thing to and from meetings.
Wasn't entirely bad though. Relaxing on the grass in the 'Style et Luxe' enclosure surrounded by concours exotica, sun beating down, listening to live 4-piece, beer in hand, looking up at short skirted, high class totty......paradise or what?

Last edited by C R Box; 14 Jul 2003 at 15:50.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 03:08 (Ref:661353)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. If you're not going to put your foot into it, keep it off the hill. The hillclimb is not an auto parade!

Darrel Waltrip really did us Yanks a credit when his mechanic put a little extra tape on the grill, and he really floored it up driveway. He spun, sure, but he was giving 115%.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 15 Jul 2003 at 03:10.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 07:08 (Ref:661440)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I only watched it on the telly but i tend to agree there was definately some that went for it and some that didnt - those that did however were thoroughly entertaining and those who acted like Pebble Beach racers - shame on you!!
Old 15 Jul 2003, 08:07 (Ref:661477)   #4
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
American friends,I should have mentioned. The was also a couple of outstanding drivers from across the pond. One goes by the name of Rod Millen. Driving the (new to us Brits) ex. Pikes Peak Toyota Tacoma pick up! He stormed the hill, like there was a tornado on his tail! A masterclass in monster power car control and subsequent crowd pleaser to boot.
Also Bob Riggle in the wheelstanding 'Hemi Under Glass' Mopar. I know the car is constructed to do this stunt and I'm sure he's done it a hundred times, but he kept it up not only along the straight in front of Goodwood House but around the bend before it! One of the rare times where the crowd cheering was ecstatic.
Apologies to all the drivers that we were unable to see, but who did put in a good show. I'm sure you were many.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:37 (Ref:661532)   #5
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Indeed. If you're not going to put your foot into it, keep it off the hill. The hillclimb is not an auto parade!
I think you'll find that it is. Most cars are entered only as demo runs
Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:43 (Ref:661541)   #6
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by DarrellB
I think you'll find that it is. Most cars are entered only as demo runs
Come on. All the runs are clocked and times displayed on the giant tele - screens.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 10:50 (Ref:661601)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they were not on the TV coverage.I think it is understood since the fatal accident a couple of years ago that this is NOT a serious motorsport competition. More an excuse for a party.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 11:22 (Ref:661641)   #8
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by C R Box
Come on. All the runs are clocked and times displayed on the giant tele - screens.
Those runs may be timed for information only but they are not offical registered timed runs. As Darrell says most runs are for demo purposes only. The details are in the programme as to whether the car is registered to do timed or demo runs.

Would you risk something that is priceless and totally irreplaceable on a timed run when it is way too old to compete competitively. Personally I considered it a pleasure and a privelege to witness cars I had never heard of or seen pictures of before. How many other cars are rotting away in museums or collectors sheds?? at least we got to see some of these marvellous machines.

The Festival is not about balls out fast runs up the hill, it is a celebration of motorsport.

If you want a full scale competive hillclimb go to Gurston, Prescott etc. You will not, and never will find it a Goodwood
Old 15 Jul 2003, 12:20 (Ref:661703)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
historic race cars do it competitively all over europe most weekends in the Summer!!
As someone who races a 46 year old race car to the limit of my abilities (admitedly not that great!) I think it is a shame when others dont!
I think its fair to say that most of the timed runs were going for it but some of the demo runs were embarrassingly slow! Is that celebrating motorsport? I dont think so!
Old 15 Jul 2003, 13:17 (Ref:661795)   #10
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
historic race cars do it competitively all over europe most weekends in the Summer!!
As someone who races a 46 year old race car to the limit of my abilities (admitedly not that great!) I think it is a shame when others dont!
I think its fair to say that most of the timed runs were going for it but some of the demo runs were embarrassingly slow! Is that celebrating motorsport? I dont think so!
I simply couldn't agree more. Not only that, but I'm sure having an 'off' as a privateer, will cause a club racer more financial difficulties, than some faceless trust whose 'investment' might need repairing.
A few years back someone asked Gerry Marshall, how could he race such pricless machinery. He replied "Because it's quite difficult to do more that £5000 quids worth of damage" OK it was 1980, but you get the point.
On originality, come of it - do you really think there was a 'sorted' competition car there, that hadn't been rebuilt since it's heyday. Works cars were mostly all sold off to selected privateers who used them to win and besides competition incidents are accepted, sometimes with relish, as part of a competition car's provenance.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 13:47 (Ref:661829)   #11
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to see these cars being driven properly then go to the Goodwood revival where nothing is held back.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 15:50 (Ref:661941)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
or any historic club meeting

FOS is just showboating for toffs, financed by the general public who are by and large treated like peasants.
nothings changed since the car was invented has it ?
Old 15 Jul 2003, 17:10 (Ref:662012)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
FOS is just showboating for toffs, financed by the general public who are by and large treated like peasants.
nothings changed since the car was invented has it ?
I disagree with this.

On the general subject: I like to see them go for it too.

However the cars are theirs and they can do what they want in it. Simple really IMHO.

There were enough cars there to watch going up timed and plenty to do otherwise.

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Jul 2003 at 17:12.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 17:50 (Ref:662044)   #14
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just the whole 3 days at the FOC I would have to say that I along with my hubby blackx enjoyed every minute of it, heat and all.... That would also go for our 2 children who were entertained every minute they were there.

The festival as I am aware is more for demonstration than actual racing purposes but having said that there were an awful lot of the vehicles being put through their paces...

All in all the crowd not only go to see the cars in a racing capacity but also to be entertained and I would think that for the majority they would say "yes we were entertained"

I can appreciate the comments about the crowds and being unable to get close to many of the garages, but I was able to get close to and talk to some of the drivers on Sunday in relative comfort along with our children. I also managed to get a kiss from Graheme Wight Jnr!!!!!

I for one will be back next year so blackx you had better volunteer now!!!!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 09:56 (Ref:662628)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It is a fantastic show, dont get me wrong, but as far as racing goes, which is after all what 90% of those cars where built specifically to do, you could attend a decent club meet, Top Hat for example, get in, drink champagne and eat strawberries all day long for the same price. and actually see some real competitive racing, meet and talk to competitors at will, plus the club events would benefit no end from the increased interest and revenue, Goodwood (revival) has already alienated genuine club historic racers regardless of competitiveness, its all about names and money, and a lot of owners dont drive their cars either
Old 16 Jul 2003, 10:25 (Ref:662648)   #16
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry guys you just don't get do you. Goodwood is about seeing the creme de la creme and being entertained. It is not a race meeting, it is not a competitive hill climb; if you think it should be you are woefully mistaken about its concept. Earl March invites the best and the rarest in the world. Forget about club Healeys etc etc.... it ain't going to happen.

The FOS is about entertainment on the hill, the Revival is about balls out racing by the best in the world driving the best cars in the world for the period that the Revival commemerates.

If you don't like it don't go, but please don't moan about what numerous World Champions and racing legends excellently described as "The Best Event in the World".

Will you dispute the accolades of Moss, Surtees, Bell, Gurney, Sullivan, Button, Doohan, Ickx, Alan Jones, Montoya, Coulthard, Jim Hall and Rod Huber to name a couple.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 10:37 (Ref:662664)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

the Revival I think you will find is in the same spirit as the FoS. Not saying its a bad thing at all as they are both great events!
Interestingly i think that the names and indeed most were going for it - it was just a few who weren't. I guess I admire their self control as I would get too tempted!
Re the very best cars etc.... curiously cars with genuine Goodwood history sometimes get passed over for more recently made cars, so I think there is a certain amount of "who you are not what you are", but that is their perogative!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 12:47 (Ref:662765)   #18
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Chigley....
Old 16 Jul 2003, 13:08 (Ref:662786)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
so we're all agreed . . .the FoS is the cats whiskers as far as cars go, and drivers, but it is essentially just a 'show' nothing wrong with that in the slightest, its just a shame IMHO that they're all just museum pieces . . . .

as for the revival, the only really balls out racing Ive seen is the saloons, maybe Im biased, and definitely inexperienced of other types of historic racing, and Im sure all the guys are really racing, and hard, but most of the other races are using exceedingly rare/irreplaceable cars owned by very wealthy people. a vast majority of the saloons are built specifically for the event, and have no historic importance, those which do are invariably replicas.
its still a fantastic day out, but I think in a way it undermines the work and effort which goes into the club scene and the people that compete in it as very few if any of them are there competing.
Old 16 Jul 2003, 13:29 (Ref:662815)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

I agree - if you want to see great racing go to a club meeting (HSCC, VSCC, Top Hat, Gentlemen Drivers BRDC Historic etc...) if you want a great occassion and day out go to Goodwood.
You will see great cars (historically important and otherwise) at the club meetings as well... Its a pity the Coys Festival isnt revived as that was the nearest to achieving both -
Old 16 Jul 2003, 13:45 (Ref:662823)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So is there a reaction to Goodwood FoS? Are we saying that it isn't what it should be?
Old 16 Jul 2003, 13:57 (Ref:662838)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

I think we are saying that to 9/10ths of the competitors its a Festival of Speed but to 1/10th its a celebration of beautiful cars!
However it does not detract from the meeting and long may both Goodwood meetings continue!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 14:33 (Ref:662873)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Id say the proportions where the otherway round for the FoS Simon, but otherwise I agree. The other issue is you cant race on someones garden path with the general public sitting 30 feet away.

I think its title is a little misleading Peter, sure the cars on display are mainly racers and fast but the only speedy thing about the whole show is the cash flow at the bar
Old 16 Jul 2003, 14:45 (Ref:662886)   #24
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole point about Saturday (and Friday, come to that) is that it's for PRACTICE! I wasn't there this year, but I've attended the last three.

I've no idea who the "ponce ... in a be-winged Dodge Charger" was, but a NASCAR car is hardly the most easily-handled machinery at the best of times on a big wide Superspeedway, let alone on a narrow driveway in a park - it's a vast car, and vastly over-powered. Friday and Saturday are for drivers to familiarise themselves with the course (or re-learn it) - the driver of that Charger might never have even seen the place before, let alone driven it. Big Gerry, OTOH, has been up the hill many times, and bloody fast. If he nearly hit the Charger, then that sounds to me more like a marshalling problem: on a short and twisty course like Goodwood, marshals have to be alert at all times if cars are running more slowly than expected (for whatever reason). Perhaps CR Box could enlighten us as to exactly where on the course this occured?

Bob Marley
Old 16 Jul 2003, 17:53 (Ref:663064)   #25
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't have to risk the car to put on a good show. Look at the aforementioned Bob Riggle. Bob did what he does week in and week out with the car, and that's entertain the hell out of the crowd with a huge wheelstand, lots of sparks, and an exhaust note that shakes the very earth!

It's likewise an insult to the audience when some pompous jerk parades up the hill at 20mph, waving gingerly, simply showing off the toy he was able to buy with his boatloads of money.

You don't have to risk the car to put on a good show. _Especially_ with a '69 Dodge Charger Daytona. Just floor the damn throttle and let the Hemi light up those inadequate bias-plys!

These cars were made to go fast, not for a Sunday drive in the country. You don't have to try and break the record to have some damn fun, and put on a show for the paying audience.

These "demo" runs should be tossed from the weekend. If you're not going to do your job and put on a show for the people, keep your machine parked under the damn tent. The hill is for those who're willing to open up the throttle and let it hang out at 8/10ths, not for a prick with a fat wallet to show off his toys for his own amusement alone.