Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 18 Jun 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2232146)   #26
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought he was entertaining on the Le Mans commentary, all the commentators made mistakes, but I'm sure we all would if you had to keep talking 2-3 hours at a time.

Any casual viewer was entertained and informed enough to know what was going on.

My favourite commentator was one of the guys during the night, I think he covered ChampCars/single seaters. He was on with Neville Hay(?) when it started to rain.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2232152)   #27
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

My favourite commentator was one of the guys during the night, I think he covered ChampCars/single seaters. He was on with Neville Hay(?) when it started to rain.

Jeremy Shaw probably - class journo and commentator
Old 18 Jun 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2232158)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jeremy Shaw.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2232282)   #29
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
Just to say I very much enjoyed Carltons commentary at Le Mans this year - I put it on mute everytime he was doing a stint!!
Just out of interest, if it was on mute, how did you know when it CK was finished and it was time to turn the sound back on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

And anyone who says "oh my life" should be automatically banned from all work. Actually, from life itself.
Oh my life, thats a bit harsh
Old 19 Jun 2008, 06:18 (Ref:2232374)   #30
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Oh my life, thats a bit harsh
Maybe Carltons favourite song is "Its my life" by Bon Jovi?

BTW Mr V...You are now BANNED from life, love and forums

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 19 Jun 2008 at 06:21.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 06:18 (Ref:2232375)   #31
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2232465)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not a Kirby fan and often find his style quite irritating but I didn't think he was too bad at Le Mans this year. For me this year, the commentating star was Liz Halliday; I only detected one obvious mistake by her (and being human, they are all capable of doing that - Murray made many) and I thought she was an absolute natural.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2232489)   #33
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is he the old fella that commentates on LMES sometimes and commentated on the Grp C race at LM last weekend? I don't have Eurosport so don't know their commentators too well.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2232589)   #34
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just out of interest, if it was on mute, how did you know when it CK was finished and it was time to turn the sound back on?

My mute has an on/off facility. By depressing this I was able to intermittantly check. The wonders of Southern Technology!
Old 19 Jun 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2232652)   #35
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
My mute has an on/off facility. By depressing this I was able to intermittantly check. The wonders of Southern Technology!
Cheeky

My point was, you have to keep pressing/depressing the mute facility and if CK is still commentating then that means that you are in actual fact listening to him, when you actually told us you weren't
Old 23 Jun 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2235617)   #36
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Is he the old fella that commentates on LMES sometimes and commentated on the Grp C race at LM last weekend?
No, you're thinking of Chris Parsons.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2235620)   #37
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Who is it that pronouces Uwe Alzen as Oo-wer Alzen? Surely it's pronounced You-vay?
Oo-Ver
Old 23 Jun 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2236182)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, that's how northerners pronounce Hoover. Now back to Hans' question.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2236201)   #39
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Cheeky

My point was, you have to keep pressing/depressing the mute facility and if CK is still commentating then that means that you are in actual fact listening to him, when you actually told us you weren't
Ah but I may be able to hear him but its all either so inane or factually incorrect that none of it goes in, so in effect I am not listening to him.

BTW Motors had a guy on the Italian Superstars championship tonight who seemed very good - knowledgeable and didnt get overly excited. Although that may have been due to the sparse field.

My problem with Carlton is that he thinks he is something that he is not. A competant commentator.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 23:08 (Ref:2236203)   #40
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nicely spelt!!

Do you think Carlton could spell competent!! lol
Old 24 Jun 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2236525)   #41
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I know for sure he could'nt claim to be it. He needs a spellcheck on his mouth more than I do on my prose.
Old 1 Jul 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2241536)   #42
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
No, you're thinking of Chris Parsons.
Now that is the most annoying commentator around. That guy sounds like he is going to die any minute... He is constantly looking for words and never can produce even a scentence without pauzing after every 2 or 3 words.
Old 5 Jul 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2244420)   #43
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
dtb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found Carlton quite refreshing at Le Mans after listening to Simon Hill and Neville all night in my opinion
Old 5 Jul 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2244502)   #44
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was hilarious on DTM from Norisring, almost was about to get out of the box and shoot teh "complete idiot who dared to walk in frotn of Green during his pitstop"

Poor Cole is what I say, must be boring sweeping up!!
Old 10 Jul 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2248819)   #45
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Carlton has been doing a Wincey Willis (anyone remember Treasure Hunt) type role during the Tour of France where he gives facts & figures and stuff from Eurosport HQ in Paris. He's actually quiet good at that, and I have enjoyed his cycling commentary of smaller events in the past. I think I like it because I don't know much about cycling so I can't spot when he makes mistakes
Old 12 Jul 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2249825)   #46
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The point has already been made that he turns his hand to a number of sports and it must be difficult to maintain any depth of knowledge over such a wide spectrum.I feel that he does an OK job most of the time and really enjoy watching the Dakar highlights that feature him.This is possibly because there is time to research the day's events and produce a scripted performance rather than having do commentate as the event unfolds.I hope to enjoy his commentary when whatever we are given as a substitute for next year's Dakar takes place.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2250280)   #47
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone got a day off of him today if you watched the DTM's

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 14 Jul 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2250606)   #48
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop
This is possibly because there is time to research the day's events and produce a scripted performance rather than having do commentate as the event unfolds.
A script is written by Eurosport HQ in Paris and it's sent to all the different countries, that's so that the speech is in sync with the pictures (well that how it goes when it works).

I also think that Carlton Kirby is really good at the scripted stuff, he adds some personality to the script.
Old 14 Jul 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2250651)   #49
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper

I also think that Carlton Kirby is really good at the scripted stuff, he adds some personality to the script.

In the way he is either 2 laps ahead of the action or three behind and completely ruins the viewing experience? Or the way he appalingly miss pronounces people names or just gives them random (sometimes deceased) others? The man is useless and a disgrace to the art of commentary.

Last edited by ghinzani; 14 Jul 2008 at 14:04.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 03:30 (Ref:2252362)   #50
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V
Now that is the most annoying commentator around. That guy sounds like he is going to die any minute... He is constantly looking for words and never can produce even a scentence without pauzing after every 2 or 3 words.
He is painful to listen to, like he's struggling for breath. Thank goodness for RLM, one of the best commentary teams around.

Last edited by johntt; 17 Jul 2008 at 03:33.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna