Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 2 Oct 2020, 13:05 (Ref:4007984)   #201
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Italian press are linking Perez with the Red Bull seat. It might just be nonsense. Other websites today have rubbished the rumour.

The main reason against it that I can see is that it could be viewed as admission that the Red Bull driver development program has come off the rails, and of course questions would legitimately be raised about the whole point of Red Bull having a junior team.
Old 2 Oct 2020, 13:22 (Ref:4007996)   #202
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Italian press are linking Perez with the Red Bull seat. It might just be nonsense. Other websites today have rubbished the rumour.

The main reason against it that I can see is that it could be viewed as admission that the Red Bull driver development program has come off the rails, and of course questions would legitimately be raised about the whole point of Red Bull having a junior team.
On the other hand expediency is everything!

Signing Checo with major Slim investment (Telmex badged Honda engine maybe?) would be far more significant to them than their once great driver programme.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 14:57 (Ref:4009852)   #203
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Today was a bit sad really. It felt like the team retired the car as he was going nowhere. I do hope not.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 11 Oct 2020 at 15:12.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 15:12 (Ref:4009856)   #204
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed. Overall feling was sadness. I give Albon one more race with the new suspension that they couldn’t try in Germany before I say he isn’t good enough
Old 11 Oct 2020, 16:35 (Ref:4009896)   #205
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was not very good today, Max was in P2 58 seconds ahead of Danny Ric before the SC, and Alex was fighting midfield cars and complaining about them defending their position

If Alex had not retired and there was no SC Max would have lapped him again

he just does not seem te be getting any better
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:34 (Ref:4009942)   #206
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He also swiped off Kvyat's front wing - perhaps excusable but it's the junior team...
Old 11 Oct 2020, 19:53 (Ref:4009951)   #207
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think albon is not likely to see a long future at red bull
Old 11 Oct 2020, 20:42 (Ref:4009980)   #208
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It's painful watching. At least Vettel is getting some competition for who is having the worst season.

Qualified better than he has done recently, but messed up in the race again.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 20:50 (Ref:4009981)   #209
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Yeah, Albon has shown real talent and bravery but not in the last few races for sure and not all that much in total through this season.

Does make you wonder about the general atmosphere and management at RBR (yet again). Drivers ARE going to struggle at times but a well-run team can work with the driver to turn that around. Just doesn't seem to happen at Red Bull unless the driver is the current "Golden child".

Seen it there before with Vettee, now with Max that the relationship with the team is great and definitely strong but the other driver just seems to be completely overlooked.

A one-car team in its outlook and I can't see Albon regaining his flair and confidence in that environment, sadly.
Old 11 Oct 2020, 22:05 (Ref:4009998)   #210
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It's painful watching. At least Vettel is getting some competition for who is having the worst season.

Qualified better than he has done recently, but messed up in the race again.
That's a massive exageration!

His season has been very up and down but it seems with some experts even when he qualifies near where the car ahould be he's considered rubbish!!!

2 races ago he was on the podium!

To me it's far more the case that Max is just a superior driver in an awkward car. I seriously doubt anyone would match him in the other car. RB must be quite well aware of that.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 01:24 (Ref:4010032)   #211
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
That was funny! That is how motor racing works after all, sister team or not!
Old 12 Oct 2020, 01:27 (Ref:4010034)   #212
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
To me it's far more the case that Max is just a superior driver in an awkward car. I seriously doubt anyone would match him in the other car.
Available but rejected by Red Bull for 2021 (and 2020 and 2019 for that matter)...

Old 12 Oct 2020, 06:30 (Ref:4010063)   #213
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The awkward car excuse was definitely valid early in the season as it did look extremely nervous and even Max was struggling to keep it pointing the right way in pre-season testing and the early races.

But it has looked a lot better since Italy. The drivers have said as much. The stability is there now and you would expect Alex to close the gap, even if just a little bit.

He looks spooked and Red Bull really need to throw everything behind getting him comfortable for next year if they are seriously entertaining keeping him. The titles are gone so get the whole team ready for next season. But I really think they will just fire him into the sun, possibly this week. And then what, for team and driver?
Old 12 Oct 2020, 07:31 (Ref:4010070)   #214
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Well if he gets this new front wing on for 3 hours of Friday practice in Portimao and the data shows the gap to Max is closer which is what RBand Alez are expecting he'll be ok.

If he doesn't then it really will boil down to what they want from the no.2 in that team.

Then just to pull the pin and lob one into the discussion, what if Max were to suddenly leave?

That would add a whole other dimension into Red Bulls planning!
Old 12 Oct 2020, 07:38 (Ref:4010071)   #215
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

They will probably demand Mercedes give them Hamilton or they will leave the sport, yes really this time.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 07:51 (Ref:4010076)   #216
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
They will probably demand Mercedes give them Hamilton or they will leave the sport, yes really this time.
Leaving 2 teams up for sale but with no engine.

What a mess that would be
Old 12 Oct 2020, 09:39 (Ref:4010096)   #217
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's a massive exageration!

His season has been very up and down but it seems with some experts even when he qualifies near where the car ahould be he's considered rubbish!!!

2 races ago he was on the podium!

To me it's far more the case that Max is just a superior driver in an awkward car. I seriously doubt anyone would match him in the other car. RB must be quite well aware of that.
Hmmm. I said he qualified better.

I said he messed up his race - and by that I meant he flat spotted his tyres early on, and ended up out of position (a recurring theme) and got a penalty for a clumsy move.

I'm not sure where I am exaggerating.

For the record, I would really like him to come good.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 10:32 (Ref:4010110)   #218
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If RB have any sense, they'd hire Perez for next season.....
Old 12 Oct 2020, 12:59 (Ref:4010143)   #219
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Agree 100%
Old 12 Oct 2020, 14:49 (Ref:4010162)   #220
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Albon continues to be hit and miss on his performance. F1 can be brutal on people and this forum is no exception. But it's hard to not pile on him right now (and feel bad doing so myself). My impression is the team has basically told him to get on with it. No excuses.

His problems yesterday seemed to be of desperation and overdriving the car. I think he flat spotted two sets of tires? When he was racing one of the sister AT for position and commented on the radio "They are racing me so hard". I cringed. I almost think a more aggressive sense of entitlement (him saying "Get them out of my way!) would have been better than that whimpering complaint.

As to the retirement, I heard that via a Sky interview Horner said Albon's car had a radiator puncture via a rock, temps increased so they retired the car to prevent power unit damage. Maybe that is true, but I didn't see evidence of coolant leak, but maybe it was internal. Or maybe they did just retire the car to cut down on mileage because Albon was stinking it up. The RBR race report just says they retired the car but didn't call out a reason.

Richard
Old 12 Oct 2020, 14:54 (Ref:4010163)   #221
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I tossed out the idea in the Silly Season thread (below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Who is on the bubble from a poor performance perspective (ignoring teams like Williams and Alfa)?

Grosjean (worn out his welcome)
Kvyat (I don't see him progressing beyond where he is today)
Albon (maybe?)

Then we have available drivers with experience

Perez (shame to not get a ride)
Hulkenberg (substitution at RP surprisingly good)

Crazy idea...

Albon to AlphaTauri (with Gasly; Kvyat out of F1)
Perez at Red Bull (with Verstappen; maybe a one year deal for Perez to prove himself)
Hulkenberg to Hass (with Magnussen; Grosjean out of F1)

Clearly the big thing would be Red Bull pulling from somewhere other than their junior team. I also can't remember off hand if there is any bad blood between Perez and Red Bull/Verstappen that might preclude that pairing. And might Red Bull keep Gasly in AlphaTauri for now (not a bad idea)?

Richard
Richard
Old 12 Oct 2020, 15:38 (Ref:4010175)   #222
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I throw my weight behind the Pérez argument. He is a safe pair of hands - consistent, a good wheel-to-wheel racer, and will help Red Bull in the constructors' championship.
Old 12 Oct 2020, 15:50 (Ref:4010176)   #223
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Perez needs a good seat next season. I think he has shown this season he is more than a safe pair of hands and is a better racer than qualifier. I’m not sure he’d want to go to RBR. Shame a McLaren seat seems to be closed. If only Merc would approach him
Old 12 Oct 2020, 17:08 (Ref:4010183)   #224
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I’m not sure he’d want to go to RBR.
Seriously? He'd bite both their hands off......
Old 12 Oct 2020, 17:42 (Ref:4010196)   #225
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Seriously? He'd bite both their hands off......
i think saying yes please and shaking their hands is likely to be a more polite way of getting a drive
Closed Thread