Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Apr 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2441423)   #1
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race 4, 5 & 6 - Thruxton, Hampshire - 26th April 2009

Heads up for you guys - Shedden out, Thompson in at Dynamics
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2441430)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've moved this post into a new thread which will be the Thruxton race topic thread - the news about Thompson is quite a big story so use this thread for any comments.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2441441)   #3
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So, how does this affect his participation in DTC? And how come they missed the first round? Will he just appear at some events?!? And what about Shedden? Potentially without a drive the rest of the year?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2441443)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It seems interesting that Shedden is the one to make way, I thought both himself and Pinkney were bringing money to the team?

Neal says it's a contractural thing, which makes me wonder what contract agreement Shedden has elsewhere? I know he's connected with Knockhill, but it hasn't stopped him attending before.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:16 (Ref:2441444)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
So, how does this affect his participation in DTC? And how come they missed the first round? Will he just appear at some events?!? And what about Shedden? Potentially without a drive the rest of the year?
I don't know if it is just wording, but the release says that he is directly replacing Shedden, so would appear to be season long.

I hope they can get the required extra deal to put Shedden back into a third car soon though.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:16 (Ref:2441445)   #6
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neal said that he wants to get funds together to field a third car later on in the season according to Autosport.

Strange after his DTC deal, but im looking foward to this very much
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2441448)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about his DTC commitments, is there any clashes ?

It's a shame Shedden has been dropped, who has stepped in to pay for Thompson?

And yes it just sounds a case of Shedden has been given so long to come up with the money but hasn't been able to. Maybe I've answered my point re Thompson, perhaps Neal Sr would rather not receive any money and run Thompson instead of Shedden.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2441461)   #8
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Plato makes it out again that'll be 4 previous champs on the grid - when was the last time that happened?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2441464)   #9
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit it surprised me when I got the news. In two minds about it really, I'm chuffed to bits to have Thommo back, and having four former champs out racing is superb. I feel sorry for Sheds though, I hope they manage to get something together for him.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2441465)   #10
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2000 - Menu, Rydell, Tarquini (3) 1999 - Menu, Rydell, Tarquini, Hoy, Cleland (5) 1998 - Menu, Harvey, Hoy, Cleland, Rydell (5)
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2441472)   #11
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a damn shame for Sheds, especially when Pinkney's in the other car. Guess someone has to pay the bills though. The third car seems pretty unlikely, most of the other two car teams have all said "third car if someone comes up with the funding" and it's not happened.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2441480)   #12
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I don't know about his DTC commitments, is there any clashes ?
Just checked and looks like there is only 1 clash, 2nd August (BTCC event 6 at Snetterton) and the 4th round of 8 of DTC. Running both seems like a definite possibility, especially since I believe you can remove a few worst scores from your point calculations in DTC. But I also know Tommo was supposed to race some V8 tcs and thus was looking at missing 1 round of DTC already (last 1 I think). Don't know if there are any more such clashes or if he will participate in those fly away races if he does both DTC and BTCC. Edit: Just noticed, both series final rounds are on 4th October. But I guess by then which one to participate in depends on the standings.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2441481)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
More importantly - what colour flames will Thompson have on the car?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2441491)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
It will be interesting to see how long Dynamics can keep Thompson in the Civic. If they keep him beyond Snetterton, he'll miss the DTC round that weekend.

If he is competing in both series, and in good positions for both, where would he drive finals day?

My guess is that if Thompson stays full season in BTCC, we'll see Shedden in a 3rd Civic from Knockhill onwards to counter the threat from AON
Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2441492)   #15
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
More importantly - what colour flames will Thompson have on the car?
Alfa red of course Meanwhile, have a small bell rining in my head that the 2nd of Aug DTC event is just a show event inside Copenhagen. So if my memory serves me right, the only real clash would be 4th Oct.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2441501)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
I bet Plato will be glad to see Thompson back.

Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2441504)   #17
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
NendoShisu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmy T could possibly be bringing in a bigger sponser than anything Shed's could have brought.

Pinkney sponsers are Trading Floor, Car Protect, Motorway Direct & Houseman Dry Lining.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2441513)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its gonna be day-glo red/orange isnt it
Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2441518)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
A question - Thompson has been reported as driving a 888 Falcon in V8SC missing the final rounds of DTC.

Is this the same 888 that run VXR's Vectras?
Is Thompson still contracted for this drive?

As he was missing the DTC for this event anyway, it looks like he can still race every other round of DTC.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2441544)   #20
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A question - Thompson has been reported as driving a 888 Falcon in V8SC missing the final rounds of DTC.

Is this the same 888 that run VXR's Vectras?
Is Thompson still contracted for this drive?

As he was missing the DTC for this event anyway, it looks like he can still race every other round of DTC.
Sorta, it's not the same staff.

Vauxhall have allowed drivers to go to the V8 Supercars and race non-888 cars, expect they'll allow it the other way around.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2441562)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Vauxhall have allowed drivers to go to the V8 Supercars and race non-888 cars, expect they'll allow it the other way around.
Just a thought though, how would Mr Neal feel if his driver is in contention with a '888' driver, yet misses finals day to drive a '888' car?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2441565)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Just a thought though, how would Mr Neal feel if his driver is in contention with a '888' driver, yet misses finals day to drive a '888' car?
He won't have to, Bathurst 1000 is the weekend after the last BTCC race.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2441580)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
He won't have to, Bathurst 1000 is the weekend after the last BTCC race.
But what about Phillip Island? Quote from TcT.

'However, Thompson is going to miss the last two rounds of DTC so he is able to race at Phillip Island and Bathurst. Thompson is going to share a Triple Eight Australia Ford Falcon with Allan Simonsen in the V8SC.'

BTCC and DTC finals are the same weekend.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2441592)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Good point. I'm sure Steve Neal is fully aware of whatever commitments Thommo already has to race V8SC, or anywhere else for that matter. Of course that's not to say that any deal you thought he had won't be changed - just as Shedden.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2441598)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Heads up for you guys - Shedden out, Thompson in at Dynamics

Is Plato confirmed for this round?

Tags
btcc, thruxton