Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 May 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2457354)   #1
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Subaru to enter the WTCC?

TcT seems to think they will.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3439
Would certainly be interesting to see them, but can any car company risk entering the WTCC right now. I can't see it personally, but it could happen.

would they still consider it if BMW and SEAT are (as rumoured) thinking of leaving, and would Lada and Subaru be enough to keep Chevy in the series. Personally, I can't really see this series surviving much longer unless we do have more manufacturers, but I suppose we'll see.
Old 8 May 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2458286)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
This surprises me to be honest.

There is no way of having 4-wheel drive in S2000 is there?

It just doesn't make a lot of sense, as the marketing bods obviously chose rallying due to the 4-wheel drive tech used (much like Audi with the Quattro).
When 4-wheel drive was outlawed in the BTCC in 1998, Audi continued for one year then pulled out.
Old 9 May 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2458429)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In the past the Impreza was in some countries also available as FWD. I don't know about the current model.

I assume Subaru wants to use the diesel boxer engine.
Old 21 May 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2466790)   #4
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should change the name to the WGAF.
Old 22 May 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2466941)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 22 May 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2467000)   #6
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I think he feels they should change the name of the WTCC to WGAF (Who Gives A F**k).
Old 27 May 2009, 16:16 (Ref:2470314)   #7
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
MarkkuAlen86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Subaru can't afford to keep rallying (which is probably more important to them than touring cars, which they have relative inexperiance in), they can't afford to go World Touring Car racing.
Old 27 May 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2470424)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I think WTCC is much, much cheaper as WRC.

Subaru has little or no experience in touring car racing but companies like Triple Eight, Prodrive, Oreca have a lot of experience. Their WRC project was also done by an external company (Prodrive).
Old 27 May 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2470476)   #9
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it's important to let them race a 4WD version. Where are the times, when A4 Quattros were battling with Lagunas (BTCC), Vectras and BMWs (STW) and no one complained about weight ballance...
Old 27 May 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2470477)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But thats just the BTCC, nobody really complains.. In the WTCC, it will just be as bad as allowing the Diesels in. Nobody complained about the SEAT's in the BTCC did they? Neither did Alan Gow constantly change the rules.

WRC and WTCC (if its still around that is) should be about the same costs next season as the WRC is coverting to S2000, which Subaru is developing a car for.
Old 28 May 2009, 07:35 (Ref:2470723)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by THIM View Post
Where are the times, when A4 Quattros were battling with Lagunas (BTCC), Vectras and BMWs (STW) and no one complained about weight ballance...
Audi did
Old 28 May 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2470734)   #12
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But it's important to let them race a 4WD version. Where are the times, when A4 Quattros were battling with Lagunas (BTCC), Vectras and BMWs (STW) and no one complained about weight ballance...
They don't even sell Subaru's without 4wd
Old 28 May 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2470767)   #13
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well... they don't sell Impreza without 4WD, but there are FWD Subarus on market. For example Justy is always FWD (at least here in Finland).

But I agree, it would be weird in marketing point of view to enter WTCC with Impreza, as 4wd and turbo are what it's know for.
Old 28 May 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2470798)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I may be wrong but I got the impression that the new Impreza was designed to appeal to a wider market, so perhaps having a FWD, normally aspirated racing Impreza would promote the brand the way Subaru wants it to head.
Old 28 May 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2470804)   #15
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I may be wrong but I got the impression that the new Impreza was designed to appeal to a wider market, so perhaps having a FWD, normally aspirated racing Impreza would promote the brand the way Subaru wants it to head.
That is a good point there, plus, no matter how badly the WTCC's doing, it's better than the WRC right now, and at least has several national TCC's backing it up. Anyway, hopefully developing a touring car and a rally car will be the same thing soon.
Old 28 May 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2470873)   #16
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Subaru had not failed to build a competitive car for 3 years in a row, they probably still had been there, and the WRC would do just fine. But with only 2 brands it starts to get a bit thin.
Especially since a certain mister Loeb doesn't give anybody a sliver of chance to win the championship, with the championship halfway he has won 5 out of 6 rally's. On the other hand; the best rallydriver in the world is in the WRC, so that is arguably the most important championship.
If I were the management of Subaru, I would stay in the WRC, and just put all possible effort I had in keeping WRC as the pinnacle of rallying and making sure wins would restart coming. Because Subaru = rally.
Old 28 May 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2470926)   #17
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
If Subaru had not failed to build a competitive car for 3 years in a row, they probably still had been there, and the WRC would do just fine.
Was it not because Subaru had just developed a new car to WRC regs, only to find that S2000 would be introduced next year?

They are developing a car at this moment, and a few bits of that car could be converted to an S2000 Touring Car if the Petrol Turbo 1.6 rules go into effect.
Old 29 May 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2471898)   #18
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
But thats just the BTCC, nobody really complains.. In the WTCC, it will just be as bad as allowing the Diesels in. Nobody complained about the SEAT's in the BTCC did they?
Vauxhall did. When I interviewed Giovanardi shortly before the season finale, last year, I asked him about the Leòns, and he said that in terms of performance the Vectra was miles off the Leòn's pace, and that he won because he was consistent all yearlong. BTW, tell an Italian guy that Giovanardi has been consistent: he'll be shocked, because during the Italian ST days he was the one who did the show, the one who made it all messy. He had a hard car to drive, the old AR 155, but he was battling so hard that sometimes he'd go a bit over the limit, screw something up and after that win the race. That's how I "fell in love" with him as a kid.
Old 29 May 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2471901)   #19
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
In Italy they all complained! There was Audi (4WD), BMW (RWD) and Alfa Romeo (FWD). When Audi won with Capello and Pirro everyone complained and I've seen them race live so many times, when coming out of the corners a 4WD is just incredible. No, already too much mess. If Subaru want to enter the championship, please tell them that the existing rules are already screwing up things, no need for another reason to have a good laugh together about how Wtcc is going to die at the end of the year because Subar are winning it all with a 4WD Turbo Diesel car.
Old 30 May 2009, 00:20 (Ref:2471931)   #20
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
Vauxhall did. When I interviewed Giovanardi shortly before the season finale, last year, I asked him about the Leòns, and he said that in terms of performance the Vectra was miles off the Leòn's pace, and that he won because he was consistent all yearlong.
Indeed. The SEAT was completely overpowered and only failed to win because of numerous engine failures + the team multiple times screwing up (eg not getting the crew off the grid in time sending Plato to the back of the grid or setting incorrect rideheight).
Old 30 May 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2472109)   #21
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil View Post
Indeed. The SEAT was completely overpowered and only failed to win because of numerous engine failures + the team multiple times screwing up (eg not getting the crew off the grid in time sending Plato to the back of the grid or setting incorrect rideheight).
And, knowing that the car could have not finished the next race,Plato had to push too much and sometimes make mistakes.None of his fault, but the car's and the team's. I have a huge respect for NorthernSouth, but they're not Seat Sport, nor Oreca. And they had to challenge a virtually perfect Giovanardi last year.